A question

Options
ok so what i want to know is .......does it matter when you eat ? i always eat after 9 pm (my dinner) but many people are always saying things like i dont eat carbs after 5 or my last meal is at 7..... I recently read that this is a myth because you have a calorie budget per day so what difference does eating late make?

Replies

• jenniferolg
    jenniferolg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    SuadElTurk,

I know many thin people who eat late at night! Current research shows that weight loss is simply calories in vs calories out all things being equal. But, health is not built with empty calories. Some people have food allergies and other have food addictions and those both factor into being able to stop eating certain foods.
  • rbc_racing
    rbc_racing Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It is pretty much a myth to not eat past 9pm, it is however very important to eat the right foods if you eat late. High GI carbs and simple sugars are a no no, your body will break them down and then store them as fat because you dont need the energy they provide while you sleep. It's a better choice to try to eat earlier, and then do a caisen protein shake before bed. I think the main reason eating before 9 is recommended is so that after you eat, you will go to sleep sooner and get your full 8 hrs in.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    right, I've also researched this quite a bit.

While your body DOES follow the circadian rhythms (Google those if you are interested, it's essentially a 24 hour clock that your body instinctually follows), the metabolic levels rise and fall only a little during waking hours.

Again agreeing partially with others, My research shows that while it doesn't make a great deal of difference when you eat, you should give your body time to digest before you go to bed. Besides the slow down your metabolism has during sleep, it can also affect your sleep patterns and dreams.

what makes a FAR greater difference is how much you eat at any one sitting, and (as rbc touched on) the TYPES of calories you eat, again echoing the High Glycemic Index foods are a bad idea before a prolonged period of inactivity. Also be aware not only of the GI number, but the total Glycemic load (how much total sugar is in the food) as even low GI foods, with enough sugar total will equal a spike in blood sugar. In other words keep the GI low and the G Load low and you should be fine.
  • SuadElTurk
    SuadElTurk Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ok great! thx guys!! =)