how to shake the "i need sweets" blues

Options

Replies

• UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible sweet tooth, but I've found that if I can manage to cut sugar entirely from my diet for a week or two, then other, healthier options start satisfying me. Peanut butter seems to do the trick and a tablespoon is only 95 calories. Lately I've been curbing my sweet addiction with red grapes - I don't have sugar often, so the natural sugar tastes SUPER sweet to me.

Good luck!
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I get this after I eat dinner almost every night. SInce my bf is diabetic, he keeps a bag of sugar free chocolates in his night stand. I usually have 1 or 2 & it's enough to satisfy w/o going over. Granted it still has carbs and sodium, but at least no sugar!
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Oh! One more suggestion. If you have about 150 calories to use up, try slicing up a banana, sprinkle cinnamon on it, and then drizzle with a bit of honey. So good!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    I read somewhere that after you have a small treat and you still want more, that you should eat a slice of deli meat... the salty tast will make it leave... the want for sweets... just a thought.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I almost bought cupcakes for the office and reminded myself that only I can change my eating habits. I had a mini fun size snickers so that should be enough for now.
  • MonkeeAnne
    MonkeeAnne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have caved the last 2 days and ate 2 powdered sugar donut holes... they are 58 cal/piece.... they were so good but not sure they were worth the calories! I love dark chocolate, but afraid if I buy it for those moments I would gobble it all up at once!! lol
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What would you do? I'm having a major craving for something sweet. This has been ongoing for over an hour now. I haven't given in, yet. I've tried:

Sipping on water
    Chewing on ice
    Watching tv
    Reading a book
    Looking in the mirror to see what I'm working for (I look fantastic today!)

I don't know what to do! Help me!

Ps, its wayyy too cold outside to walk, that was my first option

Do you have the calorie and macronutrient room to eat something sweet?
    Can you moderate your intake of that sweet food and not eat too much of it (which would make the answer to the above question No, indirectly)?

If the answer is yes to both, I'd shake your sweet tooth by eating something sweet.
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    Eat sweets! Enjoy the sweets! Log the sweets!
    Don't eat too many because you need to eat healthy foods too!
    You can do this.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Unless you have portion control issues, then eat something sweet and fit it into your calories/macros.

I used to eat a cr*p ton of candy (one of the contributing factors to me getting chunky). Now I make sure I fit in at least a serving of ice-cream every day. I never feel like eating candy now (well, much anyway).
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but when I get this I have an ice-lolly. Low kcal and makes your mouth numb, which i find works.

(Or I just have something sweet and do my "time" for it :bigsmile: )
  • mommyof4adorablekids
    Options
    My mom used to get graham crackers and fat free whip cream and make a sandwich and freeze it and it taste like an ice cream sandwich. I find that crystal light mixes are pretty sweet and only 5 or 10 calories.
  • RedwoodCoast
    RedwoodCoast Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The strategy depends on the answer to this question: are you a "moderator" or an "abstainer"?

For some people, moderation is the key to success. They feel deprived if they tell themselves that something is off-limits, and they do much better when they can allow themselves moderate portions of just about anything they want. It satisfies them and makes them happy.

For other people, however, it is much easier to abstain from something altogether than to have small portions. They don't want to deal with the internal negotiations that they know will occur if they can sometimes have something in small amounts (will I have that today? can I have two today if I promise not to have any tomorrow? etc.).

Personally, I tend to be an abstainer -- easier to almost never do something than to make those decisions all day long -- but I know some people who are masterful moderators. So ask yourself the question, try out the approach that makes the most sense to you for sweet stuff, and see if it works. If it doesn't try the other. Over time, you'll get a sense of what is most likely to feel best. Enjoy the experiment - and good luck!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I had sweets cravings when I first started. What I did was eat unlimited fruit. Whole fruit, and frozen fruit (which takes a little longer to eat so helps control the calories). It took about 2 weeks, but the sweets cravings tapered, and then I was able to go back to eating a normal amount of fruit (like a piece or two a day) and completely rid myself of the sweets cravings. So, it was probably a little bit of a calorie hit at first, but in the long run it was worth it.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    *slides hand out of giant M&M's bag to type*

Ummm... eat them?
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Eat something small and sweet... like a miniature chocolate candy, or a small ice-cream cone. If I am absolutely craving something like this... I usually have it... I just work it around my calories and other nutrition facts.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Eat one, Small one. And call it good.

Avoid trigger foods. Find your trigger foods.

Like for me, I crave sweet after super spicy.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I know the haters are gonna hate, but I saw if you want some sweets, then eat some. I have lost over 40lbs eating ice cream almost every day. It is portion control most of all. I get a mini DQ Blizzard rather than a large one. The trick is getting enough to enjoy without crashing your day's progress.
  • drexlert
    Options
    I suggest you eat a small amount of protein--even a small piece of a protein bar. It has a satisfying effect.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    i realize i am not perfect... i eat pretty good... i drink mostly water... candy is my vice and i am willing to live with that... i dont eat much chocolate i like stuff like sweedish fish and gummi bears and hard candies.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I always keep enough room in my daily diet for a hot chocolate and a mini chocolate bar! It gives me something to look forward to throughout the day and stops me going on massive sugar binges because I'm not denying myself a little treat!