So I think I figured out my trigger...

Options
I eat when I'm bored.

My coworker has had Halloween candy out and available for everyone for many weeks now. I will occasionally treat myself to small controlled servings. Yesterday however I ate more than I planned...

It's because I'm bored. Internet's been slow here and I have had no tasks come through all week, so I'm sitting here in my cube with NOTHING to do, nearly falling asleep at my desk. And it's when I get that bored that I decide I need to munch on something. Gum doesn't do it for me (chewing a piece right now btw) and I don't always want sunflower seeds. And yes I'm drinking water!

How can I stop this?

Replies

• jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Keep healthy snacks handy, grapes, carrot sticks, celery etc. Also drink a large glass of cold water before you reach for the snacks it'll make you feel full and not want as many snacks x
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Bring something to do. I take a book with me everywhere because you never know when you'll have down time.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Boredom is my number one trigger. Being tired is a close second.

Can you read a book? Play Angry Birds on your phone? Meditate? Anything but eat! LOL

Obviously, you can be on the internet -- check out my favorite "I'm bored at work" website: longform.org

It has amazingly well-written long-form pieces from a variety of magazines.
  • Klopford
    Klopford Posts: 129
    Options
    Boredom is my number one trigger. Being tired is a close second.

Can you read a book? Play Angry Birds on your phone? Meditate? Anything but eat! LOL

Obviously, you can be on the internet -- check out my favorite "I'm bored at work" website: longform.org

It has amazingly well-written long-form pieces from a variety of magazines.

I might start bringing books.

Angry Birds is a no. I actually got written up for playing on my phone during work hours.

Usually I'll browse the few sites I like that aren't blocked, but I'm always very wary about the monitoring.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Sodoku (paper versions)? Play tick tac toe against yourself? Start writing a book or poetry...read a book. Write your to do list for the month, pray.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a supervisor who refuses to enforce stupid policies...

I hate it when there's nothing to do at work, but somehow you're supposed to look busy. Stupid. If there's work to do, people should do it, but if not, pass the time in a pleasant way, you know?

I guess that's why I'm a popular supervisor and my peeps love me. LOL
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Journal! Write about anything, how you're feeling, what you did yesterday, goals, dreams, plans. Write short stories. Write old-fashioned letters to loved ones. Alternatively, keep your brain busy: sudoku, word search, or crosswords!