how to shake the "i need sweets" blues

Options
13»

Replies

• cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit is good. add some local honey if you must. learn to indulge in ways that are acyually good for you
  • momo62463
    momo62463 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    eat a small hard candy.. it works for me
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    You could keep doing all the things that you are doing, or you could just have something sweet. Just eat something that isn't too terrible for your body, and keep it inside your daily calorie intake. I always keep some treats in the house just in case I get a craving. Things like:

-Dark chocolate (over 70% coco is great, eat a couple square.)
    -Frozen yogurt. ( Chapman's makes a great one, with a bunch of different flavors.)
    -Bananas
    -Chocolate Milk
    -Heat up one cup of vanilla almond milk with a bag of chai tea, only 90 calories and super yummy.

It seems like the wrong thing to deny yourself, you might get in the 'I'm on a diet' state of mind which could eventually derail your progress.
    Exactly what ^^ they said!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Eat something between 150-250 calories that is almost all protein, some fat, limited carbs... As a vegetarian i will have a protein shake, a few veggie smart dogs, cottage cheese, hard boiled egg whites, boca burger...
    It truly helps to take away the desire for sweets. Then occupy yourself for 20 minutes... Take a hot shower, blog on MFP, call a friend, paint your nails, give yourself a facial, take a 20 minute walk... Distract your brain and break that craving cycle...
    Focus on what you SHOULD eat not what you feel like eating... Eat to nourish your body not to feed your emotions or impulses...
    Ad good luck... You CAN do this!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The strategy depends on the answer to this question: are you a "moderator" or an "abstainer"?

For some people, moderation is the key to success. They feel deprived if they tell themselves that something is off-limits, and they do much better when they can allow themselves moderate portions of just about anything they want. It satisfies them and makes them happy.

For other people, however, it is much easier to abstain from something altogether than to have small portions. They don't want to deal with the internal negotiations that they know will occur if they can sometimes have something in small amounts (will I have that today? can I have two today if I promise not to have any tomorrow? etc.).

Personally, I tend to be an abstainer -- easier to almost never do something than to make those decisions all day long -- but I know some people who are masterful moderators. So ask yourself the question, try out the approach that makes the most sense to you for sweet stuff, and see if it works. If it doesn't try the other. Over time, you'll get a sense of what is most likely to feel best. Enjoy the experiment - and good luck!
    Excellent post... I think this os spot on. I used to think i was a moderator but that led me to more cravings and desires..since my cravings for processes simple carbs have subsided, i prefer to not wake the sleeping giant and avoid it all together. In the interim i have found new and delicious foods that i love to take the place of my OLD indulgences...
    Frozen banana,, plain or vanilla fat free greek yogurt, drizzle of honey, dash of cinnamon... Sprinkle of low fat granola... OMG delish!!!
  • NaughtyForties
    Options
    Try a banana, blue berries and natural yoghurt - works for me every time!
  • kimleroy
    kimleroy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have a MAJOR sweet tooth, and while I definitely believe everything in moderation, my sweet tooth doesn't understand moderation! So I have my tricks to satiate it like eating a piece of fruit (apples are in season right now and delicious) or eating some yogurt. I like to give it something that is sweet but won't derail me for the day (I save lots of room for snacks like this). My bf's mom sent me some candy corn a few weeks ago and old me would have it all gone by now, but I've made it last by using it as my last resort to please my sweet tooth. I keep it in a jar across the room from me where I don't walk past it so I'm not tempted to just grab randomly. But if I really am having a craving I'll go and grab a few pieces and sit back down away from it so I only have a few! Its been working pretty well, no binges this year!
  • michellew91
    michellew91 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Extra desert delights gum is fantastic, they have one that tastes exactly like mint chocolate chip ice cream! If I still can't shake the craving, I melt a few dark chocolate chips and dip some fruit in it. My favorites are apples and strawberries!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    torva-soft-toy__0118209_PE273774_S4.JPG
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Extra desert delights gum is fantastic, they have one that tastes exactly like mint chocolate chip ice cream! If I still can't shake the craving, I melt a few dark chocolate chips and dip some fruit in it. My favorites are apples and strawberries!

that is some outstanding advice, ill have to try that. minimal chocolate + fruit goodness = craving defeated.

well-played-sir-well-played-indeed.jpg

if you just eat a piece of chocolate or candy, it will never make you feel satisfied.

over time your craving should go away, healthy cereal / fruit and nut bars are another option but they are around the 150-200 cals mark.
  • Infauna
    Options
    I drink coke zero or make a vanilla bean chai tea with 2-3 packets of Sugar Twin and 1.5 teaspoons of coffee whitener if I want something sweet to drink. I'll eat fruit like an apple or banana if I want something sweet to eat. Anyways, I'd say reserve a little bit of room in your daily calories/macros for something sweet if this is a regular occurrence.