Sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carbohydrate. If you are tracking carbs, you are already tracking sugar.

The only bad sugar, AFAICT, is if you are eating or drinking too much of it "neat" - in soda, or adding it to coffee etc. But, primarily, this is because you are not getting any other nutrients with it, so it will throw your macronutrient balance off. A piece of fruit has fiber and other nutrients - a can of coke has none of that. A glass of milk has protein and fat as well as lactose.

The advice from my diabetic books even is to ignore the sugar count, and just concentrate on the overall carbs. [Although they do all say avoid processed food as much as possible!]
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carbohydrate. If you are tracking carbs, you are already tracking sugar.

The only bad sugar, AFAICT, is if you are eating or drinking too much of it "neat" - in soda, or adding it to coffee etc. But, primarily, this is because you are not getting any other nutrients with it, so it will throw your macronutrient balance off. A piece of fruit has fiber and other nutrients - a can of coke has none of that. A glass of milk has protein and fat as well as lactose.

The advice from my diabetic books even is to ignore the sugar count, and just concentrate on the overall carbs. [Although they do all say avoid processed food as much as possible!]

that sir, is a definitive answer. good show old boy!
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I think I will remove sugar from the list that I am tracking.
  • cjlcarmody
    cjlcarmody Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm still on about sugar. I can't get over how good my skin feels lately. I don't know if it is a direct cause of eating less sugar or the benefits of weight reduction. I had a small patch of exma on one ear which never seemed to go away, and now not a sign of it at all. Dandruff seems to have gone as well. I have read that sugar is not good for your skin, I seem to be getting some evidence thst supports this.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options

great post. Sugars eaten like that are just throwing your calories away. They are about nutritionally void as you can get and don't do anything to fill you up. I've never been a big sweets guy, but this has helped me; when looking at that piece of candy or slice of cake, I realize that I could have a steak, a salad bigger than my head, or even a cheeseburger for about the same calorie intake, which would also be more satisfying and better nutritionally.
  • cjlcarmody
    cjlcarmody Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    so you are making a choice between food and entertainment - I find that to be very helpful in my own thinking :smile: