Does walking to school "count"?

Options
I walk to/from school everyday Monday to Friday. I get about 30-40 minutes of exercise on each of those days. Can I count this as exercise in my diary, or is it not vigorous enough?

Replies

• Michaelsdin
    Options
    YES i would count that as

exercise. bodily or mental exertion, especially for the sake of training or improvement of health: Walking is good exercise.

So I would say count that.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    How far is it? Also try and walk at a brisk pace to make the most of it. Don't dilly-dally! Lol
  • elm2008
    elm2008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'd include it in activity level but I wouldn't log it.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you have your activity level set to. When I had mine set to sedentary I logged all my walking, but later, I was walking so much that I just updated my activity level to "lightly active", which covers all the walking that I do.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have my activity level set to "sedentary" and I log all the walking that I do if it is over 10 minutes of brisk walking or 20 minutes of slower walking (not dilly-dallying). What do you have your activity level set at? How fast are you walking? And do you do any other exercise? I agree with the other person who posted about "lightly active" including a good deal of walking.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you have your activity level set to. When I had mine set to sedentary I logged all my walking, but later, I was walking so much that I just updated my activity level to "lightly active", which covers all the walking that I do.
    this is what i did as well.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    no. dont log in things like cleaning, shopping, and 15 minute walk to school, people. that's included in "sedentary lifestyle".
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I walk to and from also....I don't count it, not because it's not exercise....I won't eat back the calories untess my heart rate is up. It has to be a hard workout.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    How far is it? Also try and walk at a brisk pace to make the most of it. Don't dilly-dally! Lol

lol, dilly-dally :P
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Count it!
  • nikilis
    Options
    don't count it. you were doing it before (right?) and if its not very far its best just to leave it out.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You can totally burn a decent amount of calories by walking! I would count it if your set to sedentary! In the past, I've walked off lbs just by going on 1 - 1 1/2 hour walks! Don't have the time now, but walking def counts as exercise!
  • nikilis
    Options
    if you added in all the steps you made in a day like that, you would end up eating your TDEE and not loosing weight.
  • demileas
    Options
    Since I'm not really exerting myself (who wants to go to school sweaty?), I guess I'll change my activity level to lightly active as suggested and just not count the walking.

Thanks guys :)
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I walk for 45 minutes every night. My heart rate is usually around 148, and I work up a sweat. It's exercise.
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    Hell yeah it counts! That's cardio as long as you are booking it to school. I used my 25-minute-each-way commute to power walk every day, and I sure as hell added that. Also, adding the walking into my normal routine (running, weights), actually made a really big difference in my weight loss.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    no. dont log in things like cleaning, shopping, and 15 minute walk to school, people. that's included in "sedentary lifestyle".

'Sedentary' means 'sedentary', ie., not leaving your chair/bed all day. It is there for people who ARE sedentary, not people who walk etc.

To the OP, do what works for you! I lost weight just fine while counting my walking...
  • casasruby
    Options
    It would depend on your activity level when you first began. If you have a lot to lose, and you were mostly sedentary, then walking everyday plus counting calories will be effective, you will lose weight, not quickly, but you will be able to tell within a couple of months. If you were already walking before, and you have only adjusted your calorie intake, then you might lose some weight, but it will because you are eating better. In the past I have lost about 20+ pounds by walking about an hour a day in three months. That weight was lost because I had been sedentary for the year prior to my daily walks. Walking can burn plenty of pounds, but it takes patience, it does not happen overnight.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Count it, don't count it. Up to you.

I personally only count things that I've put on gym clothes and shoes for.

If I happen to use my feet for what they are intended for, I'm not going to pat myself on the back, if I push my body to perform at a higher level than normal then I count it as exercise.

But what ever WORKS for you. That is the important part, if its not working don't count it.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

'Sedentary' means 'sedentary', ie., not leaving your chair/bed all day. It is there for people who ARE sedentary, not people who walk etc.

To the OP, do what works for you! I lost weight just fine while counting my walking...

Actually I think the sedentary setting is for someone with a desk job, not someone bed ridden.