Is it bad?

Options
I havnt been eating much lately, I am quite stressed and when I eat during the day, I immediately feel sick and vomit the food back up. I dont eat breakfast, as I always feel ill after, and on the odd occasion I dont feel sick, I get really hungry for the rest of the day. It's weird. Anyway, my main meal is dinner, which I dont exercise after because I would rather watch Big Brother - I am in Aust and I will throw a puppy if Sam or Layla wins - and I am wondering if it is bad to really only eat one meal a day, and not even snack throughout the day. I am aware this is not healthy, but I am not going to eat when I know it will just come back up.

So in a nutshell, will I gain weight from eating one meal a day with little to no snacks?

I am sure this is only temporary, every other time I have this vomiting issue it goes away after about 6 weeks. I just need to wait it out.

Please be nice with your responses, I know this is not healthy, but it's what is happening right now.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Here's where it's likely to be bad: It's not likely that you're consuming enough calories, macronutrients, and micronurients, in that one meal.

There's nothing inherently bad about not eating frequently though, and it's not going to make you fat doing so.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do you feel nauseous after other meals or just breakfast?
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend seeing a therapist, or psychologist to help lower your stress levels. Stress is never good on a person's body, and if it is leading to vomiting, it is definitely not healthy.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Even if you only eat one meal per day, you still need to watch your calories.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend seeing a therapist, or psychologist to help lower your stress levels. Stress is never good on a person's body, and if it is leading to vomiting, it is definitely not healthy.

I agree with this. It's not eating one meal a day that's the problem. The fact that your so stressed that you're having a physical reaction is a problem.

Wishing you the best.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency is irrelevant, but I'm concerned that you feel sick all the time. Perhaps weight loss needs to be put to one side for now, whilst you get a handle on the other things that are going on.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better. Please see your doctor.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I feel sick after breakfast and lunch, occasionally dinner but I can keep dinner down, every other time I eat food just comes straight back up. I know it isnt healthy, and I think I know what is stressing me out but I cant resolve those issues for awhile unfortunately. I know that vomiting isnt good for me, and it will pass, but I know I have a few weeks to go before it vanishes again. As long as it wont do any harm to my weight then thats ok.

Thanks!!
  • shellebelle87
    Options
    Meal frequency is irrelevant, but I'm concerned that you feel sick all the time. Perhaps weight loss needs to be put to one side for now, whilst you get a handle on the other things that are going on.

I've seen my doctor countless times about this, had billions of tests and stuff and they cant figure out why I vomit, so I've pretty much given up on even going to try to figure it out.
  • QuietLegs
    Options
    Have you looked into intermittent fasting? http://www.leangains.com/

A lot of people swear by it. That said, being *unable* to eat other meals doesn't sound great. I'm sorry to hear that your doctor hasn't been able to help you with that.

Regarding the stress, I hope you find a way to manage it or relieve it. Exercise is great, of course, but for some people with high anxiety, seeing a therapist and obtaining anti-anxiety meds can be a lifesaver.

Best of luck!
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If you doctor is not concerned that you are throwing up after you eat, daily for up to 6 weeks you need a new doctor. Even if they can't find a cause there are things they can do to help such as anti-nausea pills. If you are suffering from that much anxiety you need to see a counselor or psychologist. I think the least of your concerns should be that you will gain weight. That much vomiting can cause damage to your esophagus, not to mention other health issues that not eating correctly can cause.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

I've seen my doctor countless times about this, had billions of tests and stuff and they cant figure out why I vomit, so I've pretty much given up on even going to try to figure it out.

If the vomiting is related to stress, there won't be anything physically wrong with you that will show up on tests. Stress needs to be controlled, either by taking anti-anxiety pills, or by finding ways to relieve yourself of what is causing you the stress.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I feel sick after breakfast and lunch, occasionally dinner but I can keep dinner down, every other time I eat food just comes straight back up. I know it isnt healthy, and I think I know what is stressing me out but I cant resolve those issues for awhile unfortunately. I know that vomiting isnt good for me, and it will pass, but I know I have a few weeks to go before it vanishes again. As long as it wont do any harm to my weight then thats ok.

Thanks!!

I would try to work on the issues that are causing you to vomit (the stress) - easier said than done I know, but you should also insist that your doctor help.

However, in the mean time, try to eat most of your calories in the evening if this is the time you can keep the food down. Also, look to see if you can keep fluids down better and maybe get some of your calories that way.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I agree with looking to counseling for stress relief. Can you at least keep down liquids? Maybe sip a yummy protein shake in the morning and see how you feel. I used to vomit up breakfast every day for no apparent reason and I switched to protein shakes and I have no problem at all anymore.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    are you on opiate medication? (pain killers like hydrocodone) if so, that can and WILL cause vomiting from nausea... esp with food involved
  • shellebelle87
    Options
    No, i'm not on any meds at all. I do have Maxalon but dont want to have to rely on that, I want to try to control my mind and stomach into thinking I dont need to vomit, and it will pass.

I can keep down liquids so I will try the protein shakes.

Thanks everyone. It is really annoying having this happen. Weight gain isnt my main concern but it is something that I worry about, which causes stress which causes vomiting. Lovely little cycle :/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    are you on opiate medication? (pain killers like hydrocodone) if so, that can and WILL cause vomiting from nausea... esp with food involved

Not necessarily - I was on some very very strong *kitten* for quite a while - it may (not sure of it was that) have killed my appetite but I was never nauseous.