How the heck do I eat as little sugar as MFP tells me to?

Options
I allow myself a relatively high number of carbs from what I've seen: I leave my MFP at the recommended 55%. And still I have a really difficult time eating the amount of sugar that the plan says I should.

I've had a lot of success with using whole milk in my coffee and cereal...the extra fat helps me feel satisfied and I don't need to put sugar in my coffee. For cereal, I eat granola, and try to find less sweetened versions, but that's annoying.

(My diary is open, though I took some days off while I was sick and started logging again only yesterday ...and kept snarfing peanut butter cups post-workout yesterday. So today is more typical.)

I'm vegetarian and need to limit soy due to hypothyroid, which adds some challenges. I feel like I've cut way down on sugar, since I'm not getting spikes like I used to before I changed my diet.

I feel okay, but that big red negative every day makes me feel like I've failed somehow.

Replies

• berumotto
    Options
    I have the same problem. I would have days when I would be very much under my goal, but yet still surpassing my sugar limit, sometimes by more than twice as much! I've NEVER had a day when I went under my sugar limit.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My sugar is always over, it is really to low on here, I don't worry about it.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I go over every day too. Sometimes just on fruit and a granola bar. I think their suggestion is unrealistic for most people.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Ignore MFP. I just try to make smart choices and stay within my calorie allowance. I exercise regularly (but not crazy hard). In the last 6 months I have lost 50 pounds, putting me pretty close to my goal weight, and making me feel healthier and more fit than ever.
  • spangey13
    Options
    If I have a banana and a coffee with skim milk I'm over my sugar. Its a joke and I ignore it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Do you have a specific reason for limiting sugar? If not I wouldn't sweat it.
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I just try to be aware of where my sugar is coming from. I've been over the mfp limit by 10am because I ate a nonfat yogurt & a piece of fruit.
  • CrimsonDiva7
    CrimsonDiva7 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 40 g a day (closer to 30 g on a good day). I use it as a challenge plus I've heard you can reduce your midsection by reducing sugar.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    If you're not diabetic you can always stop tracking sugar. Watch that your carbs stay reasonable without restricting them and you should be good.
  • jekissa729
    Options
    I've been doing this for over 60 days and have gone over on my sugar every. single. day. I'm allotted 26 g of sugar, which is hardly any. I think you would probably have to eat lettuce and protein all day to stay under that.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I set my max for 25g a day and usually don't have a problem staying under. Don't know what MFP says you should eat. But I just don't eat sugar. It makes me crave more. Fruit juice is horribly high in sugar. I usually have 1 serving of fruit a day. Apples and strawberries are low in sugar. Sugar causes inflammation in my body, so my pain levels are so much lower without it. That is motivation enough for me to not eat it. At first it was a bit hard to give up, but now I don't miss it at all.
  • tisane42
    tisane42 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I have a really strong family history of diabetes, so I'm better off eating less. "Less" is kind of relative, though. I used to eat a lot more than I do now, and I feel a lot better now.
    I set my max for 25g a day and usually don't have a problem staying under. Don't know what MFP says you should eat. But I just don't eat sugar. It makes me crave more. Fruit juice is horribly high in sugar.

For my carb/calorie level it's 38g. Drinking one glass of orange juice shoots that to hell. But lactose counts as sugar, too, so a glass of milk will wreck sugar counts.
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I eat practically no added sugar at all. I get sugar from berries, some whole grains and the occasional dairy. I'm always over. I know I eat healthy so I've stopped worrying about it.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar... and as long as I make sure I do not overdo the sugary beverages I'm just fine...
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Ive only gone under one day-the day i had no fruit. And thats not healthy. Ignore mfp. Listen to websites like the mayo clinic instead
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

I have a really strong family history of diabetes, so I'm better off eating less. "Less" is kind of relative, though. I used to eat a lot more than I do now, and I feel a lot better now.
    I set my max for 25g a day and usually don't have a problem staying under. Don't know what MFP says you should eat. But I just don't eat sugar. It makes me crave more. Fruit juice is horribly high in sugar.

For my carb/calorie level it's 38g. Drinking one glass of orange juice shoots that to hell. But lactose counts as sugar, too, so a glass of milk will wreck sugar counts.

My mom passed away this summer from Diabetes, so I understand that motivation completely. It is a horrible, slow painful death. Don't worry so much about the sugar in dairy and whole fruits, as they can use your whole days allowance. The sugar you need to really watch is the ones without fiber or protein. Juices are terrible, they take all the fiber out of the fruit and leave you with pure sugar that spikes your blood sugar quickly and makes you crave more. Stick to whole fruits in natural state. Look for hidden sugars in spaggetti sauce, etc. There are plenty brands out there that have no 'added sugar'. Breads and other simple carbs not only have sugar added to them many times, but the processed flour in them turns into sugar immediately in your body and will spike your blood sugar just like eating a spoonful of granulated sugar. You body treats them the same. If you are going to eat breads and pastas, make sure they have a high fiber content. Read the labels, not just the 'healthy' words on the package. Wheat bread has the same fiber as white bread and usually has even more sugar. Look for WHOLE grains. The higher the fiber content, the better. The fiber slows down the breakdown of carbs into sugar, giving your pancreas time to make and release the insulin needed to counteract the sugar. You will stay fuller longer and you won't have the cravings and binges that simple carbs can bring on.
    I don't eat things with plain sugar in them, however, I do eat Atkins bars for breakfast or a snack. I know they are processed food, contain fake sweetners and sugar alcohols, so they aren't exactly 'clean' eating, but for me, they help me keep my protein and fiber higher, and they also give me the chance to eat something sweet and chocolatey so I don't feel like I am 'deprived'. I am able to not go overboard on them, but for some people, they feel too much like eating candy bars and are triggers for them. For me, they work, and help keep me on track. I eat pretty cleanly other than that.

Myself, I have cut out all breads, pastas, and grains, and get all my carbs from non starchy vegs. It was a little hard for the first few days, but once the carbs are out of your system, you feel great and the weight comes off pretty steadily. I don't have the water fluctuations like I had before either. My arthritis pain level is so much better on low carb. I try to 'net' around 50g carbs a day, and have an additional 25g of fiber. Watching my fiber and carb totals, I automatically stay under my sugar goal and don't need to even worry about it now.

Feel free to add me if you like and you can check out my diary. Now, you will see I had a mini Heath bar and a bag of kettle corn from my son's halloween bag last night, and that put me a few grams over, but that was the first real chocolate I have had in 2 months and it was a very tasty 38 cals. But I won't have any more.

You won't make drastic changes over night, but if you continue to tweak here and there, you can get your sugar lower without too much pain.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    If you want to drop your sugar it is not that hard - I also do 24g /day and am normally under or quite close (apart from the obvious Halloween candy binge last night)

Some things you can do include:

Find alternatives to regular milk - I use unsweetened Almond milk but there are other options out there.
    Limit yourself to 1 serving of fruits a day (low sugar ones like berries)
    Don't eat granola or other 'bars' unless you have very low sugar that day anyway.
    Snack on high protein things instead of fruits and carbs - I have boiled eggs as snacks but any other protein is good too.
    Don't eat 'cereal' unless it's things like 'shredded wheat' that has no sugar anyway.
    Cut out ketchup and other sauces
    Drink nothing but water and black coffee/tea

Some people use artificial sweeteners - I don't believe in those either so YMMV.
  • tisane42
    tisane42 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you want to drop your sugar it is not that hard - I also do 24g /day and am normally under or quite close (apart from the obvious Halloween candy binge last night)

Some things you can do include:

Find alternatives to regular milk - I use unsweetened Almond milk but there are other options out there.
    Limit yourself to 1 serving of fruits a day (low sugar ones like berries)
    Don't eat granola or other 'bars' unless you have very low sugar that day anyway.
    Snack on high protein things instead of fruits and carbs - I have boiled eggs as snacks but any other protein is good too.
    Don't eat 'cereal' unless it's things like 'shredded wheat' that has no sugar anyway.
    Cut out ketchup and other sauces
    Drink nothing but water and black coffee/tea

Some people use artificial sweeteners - I don't believe in those either so YMMV.

All of those things sound like torture to me. :laugh: Maybe just because I hate boiled eggs.
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    1. remove the sugar from the macros that you watch.
    2. Pay extra attention to your carbs.
    3. Try to eat under your carb allowance by a little and increase your protein by a little.
    4. Try to make most of your carbs come from fruit, vegetables, and whole grains.

This is what I did, I'm no wiz but I'm losing weight, my blood sugars are making my doctor happy and I don't see the red negative numbers.
  • Shaybug
    Shaybug Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree, worrying about every gram of sugar isn't exactly necessary if you are making a point to balance your daily choices with proper protein, fat, and fiber intake.

That 1-2 glasses of OJ a day is where it looks like you are getting the most sugar bombs in your day. Whole fruit would at least give you the fiber to go along with some of the sugar. I wouldn't worry about the milk sugar as much since you are getting protein, calcium, vit D etc. Oatmeal instead of granola would be helpful as well.

Just a few small changes might be enough to make that red number look a lot less daunting.