How critcal of a thinker are you????

Options
124»

Replies

• lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty skeptical by nature, so I do research...
    but in all honestly, I think most of it is a ton of bullsh**.
    I also totally disagree with the "6 small meals" a day thing.
    And almost any trend, except "clean eating" I kind of get.... make your own food. Fresh veggies, fruits, lean meats, etc. But there's no harm in treating yourself...
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    nQH9J.jpg
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    In regards to exercise and nutrition? We all hear 'buzz words". We hear that "Dr. Oz says don't eat (insert trendy "bad" food here).

If Dr. Oz said it, it's probably BS.
    So..when you hear that a food is bad for you, how much investigation do you do, if any.

None. Food isn't bad for you.
    When you do research(if you do), what resources to you go to?

google, search around, try to triangulate on the truth.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    We don't even know what's in the water we drink or where our water comes from. Obsessing over new trendy bad foods, or old bad foods, is probably not the right thing to do.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    On a similar note, how much of a "critical thinker" are you about the new trendy GOOD foods for you? I hope it's at least equally for the good and the bad.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I was hoping I wouldn't have to give up Nacho Cheese Doritos on my way to better health, so I did some investigating............I checked the label, and saw there was no sugar(my achilles heel) in Nacho Cheese Doritos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can't even put into words how happy I was.............actually enjoying some right now..............seriously :)
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I gravitate towards "healthy" foods, but no food in of itself is unhealthy. I just try to steer clear of what we call "junk" food because it makes me crave binge eating and is calorically dense.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    In regards to exercise and nutrition? We all hear 'buzz words". We hear that "Dr. Oz says don't eat (insert trendy "bad" food here). So..when you hear that a food is bad for you, how much investigation do you do, if any. When you do research(if you do), what resources to you go to?

My body, it knows best. :)
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I pretty much ignore it all. Until CNN reports a death by white bagel, I'm gonna eat it.

Even then I would question CNN's sources! :laugh:

I tend to be skeptical by nature, the questions I always ask (and this applies to other areas too) are; what's the author's agenda? who benefits?

Just a thought......the plural of anecdote is not data.

EXACTLY. What's the author's agenda and who benefits?

Just like the saying "if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is", I have found that (in life in general) if something sounds too bad to be true (rumors, etc), someone is usually benefiting from the trash talk. Of course, some things are just plain outright bad for you but I tend to follow-up with my own research if I'm skeptical, which I usually am.