Food Rewarding- - Bad Habit??

Options
2»

Replies

• chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    A reward is a reward, whether it is food or not. Use your imagination, but if there is something special and it will be centered around food, reward yourself with something special there. Food can be a reward/treat but know your limitations.

NOW, for those "quote followers" who pick up every little thing someone ELSE says and make it theirs BEFORE REALLY examining the meaning.."those use that Dog reward with food thing"...those people are cynical and trying to DEGRADE Others who do not adopt their perspective, LIMITED as it is. What do you say to a "Shop-Aholic" or Alcoholic or Addicted Gambler...Reward yourself with a shopping trip to the Mall or A night out at the Bar or A vacation to Vegas. What do you say to someone who is not overweight and may eat chocolate cake once a month, "No, don't call eating that cake a treat/reward, are you a dog?" ALL these people are doing is trying to SHAME people for eating food and making it a Priority. HECK YEA food is a priority, just listen to the HEALTH Conscious talk! STOP trying to degrade people by trying to control how they talk or what they say...just like those who like to put down others because they use the word "Diet" instead of "Lifestyle Change".

I agreed with a previous poster who said she thinks its better to reward with a non-food item but I'm in no way saying food or rewarding with food is shameful. Food sustains life. However, for many users of this site or people in general with weight issues, their grasp on control might not be as firm as yours. For some it can be a slippery slope. A lot of people with weight problems, if they are honest with themselves, can admit that they have turned to food in heartbreak, in celebration, in stress, in boredom, etc. I swear I didn't have a special occasion or a new job that didn't involve a celebration dinner. That's part of the reason I got to where I am now. There is no SHAME in knowing that if you have relied on food in good times and in bad that maybe it isn't the best reward for making your weightloss and fitness goals. I know some people might be able to do it without negative consequences but so many other people yo-yo back and forth. Then they get discouraged and post things like "I was doing so good and now I have fallen back to my old habits!" And rewarding with food can contribute to that. I'll never forget my FIL-to-be losing 10 lbs and rewarding himself with a dinner out at the buffet. He gained about 8 of those lbs back. Sure, if his willpower had been stronger... but a lot of dieters didn't get to this point with their iron will. So just because someone subscribes to a school of thought that isn't your own doesn't mean they are random "quote followers" it just means someone said their answer before they could.
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    28bqxdt.jpg

I really dislike this. Not much annoys me on here but I've seen this a few times and I find it really degrading.

We have dedicated reward centers in our brains and food is pleasurable. If there are no mental issues with self control, binging etc, then like the other wise posters, there is absolutely no reason not to. It's a natural response.
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the dog picture, but for me, food as a reward is the downhill slope that led me here.

At first it was a reward for a job well done. Then it was also a treat after a bad day. Then it was a way to relax after getting worked up over something.

In the end, I found excuses everyday to eat bad (yeah, bad. Fast food is my trigger food, and even if all food is equal, for me it led to 3000 cal meals on top of a 2000 cal day).

So I guess as long as it is a REWARD, and not an EXCUSE, it is fine, but know yourself, and don't fool yourself.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I have food I like that is not 'clean' or 'healthy', but I have it as and when, rather than as a reward. I vaguely remember using food as a reward for getting homework done as a kid, and it didn't mess things up too much.

I can use exercise as a reward for getting other things in life done, because I'd much rather be exercising than all the other stuff I have to do :laugh: This morning, if I can get the washing up done and the flooding fridge sorted, I'll Zumba on the wii.