jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    This thread is epic! Hope whatever you ate wasn't poisonous!:flowerforyou:
  • aliesha1978
    Options
    LMFAO!!! Sorry all the advice I got! :laugh:
  • sohkubo
    Options
    Hmm. Not a professional, but I'm not aware of any small nocturnal birds. However, the local bats average about 8g. Mostly protein, I'm sure.

I would venture than any intake of calories would be balanced by the expenditure in coughing and retching.
    Happy Halloween!

@florymonde, a person who knows the weight of a bat to the nearest gram is someone I can trust. Are you a chiropterologist by trade, or just a keen hobbyist? Anyhow I thought that the wingspan of a bat would be too wide to be swallowed, but it's possible that at the last moment he/she curled up in a sort of panicked dive-bomb, so you might be onto something.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I eat fried crickets whenever I can get my hands on them.
    Less than 10 cals each. Yumm!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    @klpleet2011: 250 kcal sounds like a lot. I mean it probably only had 2-3 thimble-fulls of "meat". Is the exo-skeleton mostly protein? I don't know. Since you say "guesstimate" I assume you're not a professional in this area but I thank you for your attempt.

i thought 250 was high, personally i would go for a 50cal quick add!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    @TexasTroy and @rodneyderrick - thanks for the advice. This sounds about right to me too, so I have added "Random Insect" to the public food database with 80 calories and 10g of protein.

LOVE IT!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I thought that the wingspan of a bat would be too wide to be swallowed, but it's possible that at the last moment he/she curled up in a sort of panicked dive-bomb
    Thank you for this visual image! :bigsmile:

Flying insects tend to have an ultra low fat content; I'd be logging more like 35 calories for this.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Not a professional, but I'm not aware of any small nocturnal birds. However, the local bats average about 8g. Mostly protein, I'm sure.

I would venture than any intake of calories would be balanced by the expenditure in coughing and retching.
    Happy Halloween!

@florymonde, a person who knows the weight of a bat to the nearest gram is someone I can trust. Are you a chiropterologist by trade, or just a keen hobbyist? Anyhow I thought that the wingspan of a bat would be too wide to be swallowed, but it's possible that at the last moment he/she curled up in a sort of panicked dive-bomb, so you might be onto something.

You obviously never swallowed a bat that was flying too close to a black hole!