Subway - the KNIFE and other disgusting practices

Options
At the end of the line - when they have all the glop on your sandwich (note here - I despise mayonnaise and most dressings) they need to fold the sandwich up so they reach for - the KNIFE. The knife that is dripping with mayo and other dressings from the last 50 sandwiches they've made that day. They lay it on your sandwich to hold the toppings in place, fold over the top, and extract the knife such that those remnants get scraped onto your pristine, veggie patty, pepperjack on wheat sub with everything but cucumbers and carrots and a touch of red salsa sub.

The other thing that disgusts me - the server standing there, waiting for the next sandwich on the assembly line. They are wearing those plastic gloves - for our protection I presume - and they proceed to wipe the counter and push leftover stuff into the trash hole using just the glove, then turn to you and ask what you'd like on your sandwich.

I'm sure much worse happens behind the scenes at a McDonalds, Hardees, etc. but it's 1) not where you can see it, and 2) I don't eat at those meat-factories.

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I hate the knife at Subway. It stops me from getting footlong veggie subs because when I want one, inevitably, I'm behind a mayonnaise queen (has half a bottle of mayo on sub) and the server will use the knife to shove that person's toppings around. I've found out mostly guys will do a fold and shake - fold sandwich, hold sideways, and shake the toppings in - which eliminates the knife.

My usual - 6" veggie on white, plain - means the slop knife doesn't touch my sandwich. I always get weird looks for not having any dressings and cheese. If I splurge for a footlong (go halvsies for lunch and supper) and they try to use a slop knife, I politely ask them to wipe it because I'm "allergic" to mayo. What I want to say is, "Hey, can you go wash that *kitten* off the knife? I want to be able to eat my sandwich, not puke it because it's got the last guy's mayo/honeymustard/chipotle sauce on it."

The cringe-worthy best? When you ask them to clean the knife and they just SCRAPE IT ALONG THE EDGE OF THE GARBAGE BIN.

cupofrage.jpg
  • skellyness
    skellyness Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I think I've just gone off subway,,
  • Restlessme
    Restlessme Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Don't tell me!! Though I'll admit most of the subways I have been wipe off the knife...but I've just realized they do it on the dirty counter.

:sad:
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I think I've just gone off subway,,
    This was exactly my thought.

Not that I eat much subway.
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    oh, in the uk, they have squeezy sauce bottles, the knife only gets used to cut the breads.....
  • amanda_catherine
    Options
    whats worst is at some places they make tuna sandwiches and cut them.. and the same knife cuts a chicken sandwich... and you are allergic to fish.... happened to a friend... not pretty
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly, Subway disgusts me in general.

All that pre-sliced meat thats been sitting around in the open for hours... no thank you.

Give me Jersey Mikes any day... where they slice it fresh, and it tastes a thousand times better.
  • cassie_golden
    cassie_golden Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I work at subway, and though some of my other employees do this. I completely understand being a fitness enthusiast and just a clean person in general. I go through about 100 knives or more through out the day and always change my gloves and wash my hands after each customer no matter how long it takes. Some customers in the line find it annoying though. that being said I will encourage other employees to do the same more often:).
  • melanie8289
    melanie8289 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    this is why I never, never frequent subway (yuck)!!! My advice make your own sandwich and take it with you that way you can avoid having to shop at places like this and you can control exactly what goes into it!
  • 7djt
    7djt Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just copied and pasted these comments onto Subway's corporate web page. I assumed they would want to know what concerns us about eating at their establishments -- hope you don't mind.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • FitspoEm
    FitspoEm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    omg ive never noticed!! x
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, if you're overly concerned about sanitation I wouldn't suggest fast food.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    oh, in the uk, they have squeezy sauce bottles, the knife only gets used to cut the breads.....

I was gonna say, they don't use the knife here, just to cut the bread...
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    I've never liked subway...I'm more of a publix sub kind of girl.
    I'm sure publix does the same, but the knife doesn't scare me.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I used to like Dunkin Donuts on the base here..but missed them since they closed :grumble:
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, if you're overly concerned about sanitation I wouldn't suggest fast food.

I was just thinking this. If a knife and glove at Subway is upsetting, you probably shouldn't go out to eat anywhere, ever. I've worked at enough restaurants, fast food and otherwise, to know this is the VERY LEAST you have to worry about.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    At the subway I go to, they wipe the knife on their apron....much cleaner
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You think that's gross. Look at the chicken breast. Notice how it's all the same size and shape?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    At the end of the line - when they have all the glop on your sandwich (note here - I despise mayonnaise and most dressings) they need to fold the sandwich up so they reach for - the KNIFE. The knife that is dripping with mayo and other dressings from the last 50 sandwiches they've made that day. They lay it on your sandwich to hold the toppings in place, fold over the top, and extract the knife such that those remnants get scraped onto your pristine, veggie patty, pepperjack on wheat sub with everything but cucumbers and carrots and a touch of red salsa sub.

The other thing that disgusts me - the server standing there, waiting for the next sandwich on the assembly line. They are wearing those plastic gloves - for our protection I presume - and they proceed to wipe the counter and push leftover stuff into the trash hole using just the glove, then turn to you and ask what you'd like on your sandwich.

I'm sure much worse happens behind the scenes at a McDonalds, Hardees, etc. but it's 1) not where you can see it, and 2) I don't eat at those meat-factories.

What is more disgusting, the Knife or a " veggie patty, pepperjack on wheat sub with everything but cucumbers and carrots and a touch of red salsa sub"?
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Yea I prefer getting my lunch meat sliced fresh at Publix