what actually is the best excercise for weight loss?

Options
This is my current fitness regime;

15mins cross trainer
10mins rowing machine
10 mins exercise bike

then

10 mins free weights on arms
x3 sets of crunches, x3 sets of squats
plank for 1 minute

then alternate day using weight machines on my arms and then legs, 20 mins each time.

Is the sufficent enough for weight loss or is there anything else i need to be doing to mix it up? any advice appreciated.

Replies

• FitspoEm
    FitspoEm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    the only things i use for cardio are cross trainer (ellipitical) and stationary bike.
    (with th eoccasionall wii games thrown in but not often)

and ive lost 11lb in total :)
  • bbateman123
    bbateman123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I do not think there are no wrong exercise for weight loss. Getting up and moving is the best thing you can to to speed up your metabolism and get the fat burning. I mix between doing JMBR, P90 and just plain old walking.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    You should do:

10 min ex bike - warmup
    35 min full body weight lifting using free weights (squats, dead lifts, etc)
    Super set your abs in there,or alternate weight lifting and ab days

I don't really believe in target training for weight loss, so training arms seems pointless for total body loss. If you want to tone your arms moving heavy things will get you there!

Don't rely on machines for weight loss, not enough range of motion and plus free weights lets you use muscles you didn't know you had!

Personally I have made more progress with free weights then anything else. I even stopped cardio and even doing abs (I'm getting increased definition from lifting heavy).

Not saying what works for me works for you, but if you aren't confident in your training then read read read, A LOT. Building your body isn't rocket science....well wait it kind of is lol :)
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Something HIIT based would be the most time efficient. In terms of calories burned for time elapsed, a run at a good pace seems to beat most things, it just takes ages.
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Best for fat loss burning is HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).

This can be done on any type of cardio machine or outside in your sports gear.

Basically you warm up for a f minutes to get your soft tissues warmed and your heart and lungs moving oxygen and blood.

Then go as hard as you can for one minute then slow down to steady pace and repeat for the next minute.

Do this for about 20 minutes.

That's it really can be applied to any exercise.

Burns more calories then a long slow session and the upside is you are only working half the time for double the benefits.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Best for fat loss burning is HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).

This can be done on any type of cardio machine or outside in your sports gear.

Basically you warm up for a f minutes to get your soft tissues warmed and your heart and lungs moving oxygen and blood.

Then go as hard as you can for one minute then slow down to steady pace and repeat for the next minute.

Do this for about 20 minutes.

That's it really can be applied to any exercise.

Burns more calories then a long slow session and the upside is you are only working half the time for double the benefits.

+1 with the HIIT too. Recommend sprints!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    The best exercise for weight loss is one you enjoy doing.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Running was what worked for me.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Get up and move. Doesn't matter how. Do what you like.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good mixture or cardio and resistance exercise.
    Important to keep challenging your body by mixing it up and increasing the speed/distance/endurance/weight as you get fitter/stronger.

Don't underestimate importance of just building "activity" into your normal day and enjoying your exercise rather than enduring.

By the way - don't believe all the MFP standard estimates for calory burns as they can be miles out.

Good luck from a fellow Surrey resident (inmate?).
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    HIIT (high intensity interval training).

Warm up > short workpiece at maximum effort > short rest piece > repeat 10-15 times > warm down. Whatever measure you want, ie sprint 100 yards, walk 50 yards or sprint 1 minute, walk 1 minute.

Be warned, it sounds easy, but it is not. You will be exhausted the first few times you do it. But it sure shifts the weight quickly.

Also very good for increasing your overall pace (if you're doing sports like running, swimming, cycling outdoors) and recovery.
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Also, you'd really be better off doing 35 minutes of one of those cardio exercises you mentioned, than splitting up the minutes between the three. Then you can change which one you do on your next cardio day.
  • lovingwife10
    Options
    i am having issues with my lower abs, does anyone have any helpful exercise ideas that would help me shrink my lower abs?
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The best exercise for weight loss is one you enjoy doing.

agreed. Whatever you enjoy and are therefore more likely to stick with!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Running or specifically running over 10mph if you can manage it.

It has the highest MET value.
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    i am having issues with my lower abs, does anyone have any helpful exercise ideas that would help me shrink my lower abs?

Errmm.. not sure what your asking.

It is impossible to spot reduce fat loss, it comes off where it wants.

But if you mean your abs are too big muscular then just stop exercising them and they will reduce size.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Tbh I used to do cardio every day, and I now don't bother. I have started walking 2 miles a day during my trip to work, but I now see that as just part of my normal routine rather than exercise. Now I just lift weights, and proper weights, not dumbells. My weight loss has slowed but I am losing inches and gaining definition. I also quite like 30 DS. Makes you feel like you've really worked in 20 minutes, however, I do 2 days on, 1 day off with that. Your body needs to rest.
  • Marvi120
    Marvi120 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I bought a road bike six months ago. I ride about 20 km 2-3 times a week listening to some good tunes. I am losing weight and am fitter. I do other stuff too, walking, kayaking, downhill skiing. I guess just being active and watching your calories is the answer.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be do the cardio you enjoy the best, but continue to increase the duration and/or the intensity. Also, the advice on focusing on core muscle groups and ditching the arm exercises is spot on. Try body weight exercises like pushups, pullups, squats, lunges and then add in weights bench press, shoulders, etc.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be do the cardio you enjoy the best, but continue to increase the duration and/or the intensity.

Approved.