Water intake - does it include tea and juice?

Options
YaGigi
YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
That's kind of silly question. I did the search but could not find an answer. :)
Should I count all the liquids I drink or just water? I drink juices and lots of tea. In a morning I have one big cup of coffee with skim milk and splenta. Should I count it too?

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Sorry only water counts as water. Anything with caffeine is a diuretic and doesn't count and juice is full of sugar. To get 8 glasses, drink two as soon as you wake up when you're most thirsty, 6 through the course of the day is easy.
  • afgivens4
    Options
    COUNT EVERYTHING

Water is Water only. Everything else is extra and should be counted. You will be surprised at how much all the extras add up in calories.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed you didn't find any threads on this! :smile:

For the purposes of hydrating your body, yes tea and juice "count". Some people choose to only count plain water, but tea and juice will still hydrate you, regardless.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Sorry only water counts as water. Anything with caffeine is a diuretic and doesn't count and juice is full of sugar. To get 8 glasses, drink two as soon as you wake up when you're most thirsty, 6 through the course of the day is easy.
    Drinks with caffeine in will still hydrate you. Drinks with sugar in will still hydrate you. The water doesn't stop being water just because you add sugar. After all, it doesn't stop counting as sugar just because you add water, does it?

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/12187618/
    http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/12834577
    http://www.jacn.org/content/19/5/591.short
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I think that unsweetened herb tea would count as water, but juice doesn't count because it's fruit, and coffee doesn't count because it has milk in it... water has no calories. Juice and coffee does.
    Also, water is much, much better than you than coffee. And I love my coffee ;D

I say just count water/water with a small amount of something added, eg. a slice of lemon in the jug, or a herbal teabag.

Good luck with your future water intake! :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    the whole concept of 'eight glasses of water a day' is a bit of a misdirect. Your body needs liquid to function, but it can get a large part of this liquid from food sources, fruits etc. You could probably get all the liquid you need from food without ever drinking a glass of anything.

But in terms of MFP counting glasses, it states 8 glasses of water. If you want to be pedantic, this should not include tea, coffee, juice of anything. But in reality, any liquid will do for hydration, in any form and in any reasonable quantity.

I drink mostly tea. and wine. and beer.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Personally I only count water as water even with my tea intake.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I think that unsweetened herb tea would count as water, but juice doesn't count because it's fruit, and coffee doesn't count because it has milk in it... water has no calories. Juice and coffee does.

I say just count water/water with a small amount of something added, eg. a slice of lemon in the jug, or a herbal teabag.

I would never put something as foul as milk in my coffee:) And coffee is actually pretty good for you.
  • Moosycakes
    Options

I would never put something as foul as milk in my coffee:) And coffee is actually pretty good for you.

Hmm... caffeine is a drug. I do like milk in my coffee, but then, I'm not exactly a purist xD
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    I only count pure water, my rule of thumb is that my pee should always be clear and fragrance free :laugh:
  • YaGigi
    Options
    Thank you for the answers, guys!

Oh my! It seems I don't get any water... I drink maybe 2 glasses of pure water at work but other than that I drink something else....
    Like I always mix water with mint and lime, and keep it in my fridge. I drink a glass of this mint/lime water in the morning while taking my vitamins. I also take it to gym.
    And also drink mostly green tea with lemon.
    But almost never drink just the water. :(
  • YaGigi
    Options

Lol, I looooove coffee with milk :D I have half coffee half milk most of the time. :D
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Drinks with caffeine in will still hydrate you. Drinks with sugar in will still hydrate you. The water doesn't stop being water just because you add sugar. After all, it doesn't stop counting as sugar just because you add water, does it?

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/12187618/
    http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/12834577
    http://www.jacn.org/content/19/5/591.short

LISTEN TO THIS PERSON.... She's right!
  • Moosycakes
    Options
    Thank you for the answers, guys!

Oh my! It seems I don't get any water... I drink maybe 2 glasses of pure water at work but other than that I drink something else....
    Like I always mix water with mint and lime, and keep it in my fridge. I drink a glass of this mint/lime water in the morning while taking my vitamins. I also take it to gym.
    And also drink mostly green tea with lemon.
    But almost never drink just the water. :(

I think that mint/lime water and green tea with lemon count as water, because they are a large percentage water.
  • want2belean
    want2belean Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was told by an areobic instructer years ago tea is conseiderd as part of your water intake. I suppose "Mooseycakes" its all in how you look at it. Of course sugery drinks are not good for you, but in my opinion don't count sugery drinks if you are not trying to loose wieght. I have never drank 8 glasses of water a day, I don't know if I can consume that much, maybe in the sumertime I may be able to do more than 2 or 3. But I am never that darn thirsty.
  • watcheronthewall
    Options
    Yes it all counts and so does your food. Latest guidelines are that you don't need to drinks pints of water but that your quota comes from food and beverages aswell. The only thing you don't include is booze!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Lol, I looooove coffee with milk :D I have half coffee half milk most of the time. :D

I mostly stopped drinking coffee because I just don't like it without milk, and milk has sooooo many calories!!!:sad: :brokenheart:
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I personally count my coffee & tea as water intake, but not anything sugary (i.e. juiice or creamer). Coffee & tea are basically "flavored" water, despite the caffeine presence.
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    YES! I hate it when people try to tell me that a juice or coffee doesn't "count" as water. Lemmings...

The primary ingredient - even in soda - is water. And I occassionally add Mio flavorings to my water or even make my own Sodastream sodas at home, which starts off by filling a bottle with WATER!

It's the OTHER stuff in your sodas especially and juices that aren't as good for you. A doctor told me lately that even orange juice really isn't very healthy because of all the sugar added to it - you're better off just eating an orange.

I still strongly believe that we can take in TOO much water (unless there's some unique health condition that requires excess water). If we drink too much, too quickly, we flush out all the vitamins and minerals that our body hasn't had time to absorb yet.

And I had a personal trainer tell me that coffee actually is good for you because the caffeine helps ward off hunger while bumping your metabolism. Just don't add TOO much sugar/milk.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I am really surprised at some of these responses. There is nothing magical about water, and adding sugar, tea leaves, coffee, etc. does not change the fact that you just drank x amount of water. The diuretic effect of caffeine is not that significant and does not negate all the fluid you drank.

The point behind the 8 glasses a day rule is to stay hydrated. It doesn't have to be pure, unadulterated water -- if it's fluid, it hydrates you!