How do you measure your mile?

Options
13»

Replies

• kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    MapMyRun on my iPhone.

I've run an 8k, 2 half-marathons and full-marathon with it strapped to my arm. With bluetooth headphones, you get feedback on your time/pace/distance every 1/2 mile (or whatever you set it at). It's indispensable if you want to make a certain time during a race! I don't run without it :)
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I use Runtastic on my iPhone- best investment for 5.99! there's a free version too. if you don't have an iphone, do it the old fashioned way (i do this to map out runs)- drive your car until it hits a mile and there you go!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    It's really meant for cyclists, but I love veloroutes.org
    You can map your route even if you've cut across fields or through buildings or jumped a fence.
    (can't do that using a vehicle or even google maps and sometimes it means a safer off road route.)

It gives you info on incline of the terrain as well.

I keep track of my time, map the distances on veloroutes.org.
    then track as: Walking, 3.0 mph for 40 minutes (or whatever the case may be)
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    :smile: I have a route that I usually walk-when able to- I actually drove the distance from my house to the spot -it measure one mile going. I walk to and fro twice so I know I end up walking either 2 miles or if I do it twice, it ends up being 4 miles. I just used my car's odometer. Recently got a HRM but have not used it yet to figure how many calories burned.
  • ShaunMc1968
    Options
    I use a Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS watch.

Me too - great bit of kit
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    Cardio Trainer for Android.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I use several things, first I use my Nike + GPS on my iphone, it's a free app. switched from using the foot pod and it's definitely more accurate. Second, if I'm running streets I use the stop lights as guides, here in AZ we are pretty much on a square mile grid, all of our main streets are a mile apart. I like the canal paths and those also have either bridges that go under the streets or you have to safely dodge traffic at each mile.

You can also use a school track which is quarter mile each lap.

Nike+ GPS, Runkeeper etc, there are plenty of free apps that can help you track your distance, pace etc.
  • kraigkimbo
    Options
    Runkeeper is my current fave but Strava seems interesting after reading this review: http://blog.outrunyou.com/2012/10/31/nike-plus-runkeeper-strava-mapmyrun-running-app-review/
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner - honest running distances, heart rate monitor, calories burned and pace all built into one handy device (I could also track splits etc if I wanted to but that would require reading the manual......)
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Garmin 410.....love it, most accurate GPS watch I have ever had. Cant beat the average pace mode and the ability to break down you run when it is all said and done.
  • nbischoff15
    Options
    Prior to having a smart phone, I would go to:
    http://gmap-pedometer.com/
    to plot my course prior to an outside walk or run.

Now that I have a smart phone, I use mapmyrun, and have the voice feedback set to .5 mile.
  • AnnMombourquette
    Options
    I use a pedometer and map out routes that I want to walk. That way, I just head out and know how much I am putting on. For days that I'm just walking, I will put the pedometer on to count. I sometimes put it on at work. Did 2 miles the other day just in day to day walking, outside of my normal exercise.