Subway - the KNIFE and other disgusting practices

Options

Replies

• makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten at subway before (my boyfriend lives for it though!) but that sounds horrible ): One of my best friends actually has a part time job at mcdonalds though (haha) and apparently they're pristine behind the scenes (in their branch anyway!)
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, if you're overly concerned about sanitation I wouldn't suggest fast food.

Exactly!!

I remember what put me off McD's for good.... Saw a "20/20" special about this very topic. In one segment, they tested the ice machine for fecal matter at the end of each day.. Disturbing how high the count was. Employees aren't always the greatest at washing hands after using the washroom. Ewwww.

As for Subway...why not speak up? Ask them to put on new gloves and use a new knife before they decorate your sandwich. OK, you might get funny looks, but at least you'll feel better. And if they protest, ask to speak to the manager. It's all about the $$: Your business is important to them, and they don't want to lose it.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    As many people have said - there are worst things.

Its not just Subway - at least they make your sandwich in front of you. Who knows what goes on in all the other places that don't make your sandwich in front of you!!

So you decided to give up restaurants...now you just buy at the grocery store:

Think of all the meat you eat. Then think of meat processing plants and slaughterhouses and what you don't know about those places!
    You think that's gross, so you went vegetarian or vegan...

What about the crap load of pesticides on the fruits and veggies that you buy from your grovcery store..you think thats gross, so you went organic?

Well, wake up, because you don't know how many tons of manure were poured onto your organic strawberries and mushrooms ;)

Stop being so germ-o-phobic, food comes from the earth. Just be reasonably diligent without going overboard.
  • Crystal82186
    Crystal82186 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You think that's gross. Look at the chicken breast. Notice how it's all the same size and shape?

Yupperz, we called it 'foam' chicken. LOL =]
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, if you're overly concerned about sanitation I wouldn't suggest fast food.

Exactly!!

I remember what put me off McD's for good.... Saw a "20/20" special about this very topic. In one segment, they tested the ice machine for fecal matter at the end of each day.. Disturbing how high the count was. Employees aren't always the greatest at washing hands after using the washroom. Ewwww.

As for Subway...why not speak up? Ask them to put on new gloves and use a new knife before they decorate your sandwich. OK, you might get funny looks, but at least you'll feel better. And if they protest, ask to speak to the manager. It's all about the $$: Your business is important to them, and they don't want to lose it.

You probably won't get funny looks. Most people who have worked in a customer service job for any length of time are used to high maintenance kooks making weird requests.
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Whats even worse is when they leave their gloves on, take payment, and don't change their gloves!!! Do you know how disgusting and dirty money is???

I wont go to Subway because they decided to honor Michael Vick for an ESPN award. Thanks for giving me another reason to not go!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Don't know what Subway you're eating at but I have never seen them use the knife to do what you are describing. The Subway I go to has safe and clean practices. I work in the food industry and I know what to look for. The knife is only used to cut the bread and a separate knife cuts the sandwich in half. They use gloves and change them after they wiped something down or handled the register.

If their practices disgust you that much, you should report them to the health inspector's office so they can investigate.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options

This!!

I work deliveries (Ran Beer truck for Budweiser for 12 years through the 90's) and let me tell you that you do not want to know some of the practices and things I seen going on in the back kitchen areas of many of these places. You would never go eat fast food or eat out ever again. I myself pick and choose my places mainly on past experiences. My 2 Subways that I use here in my town never use the same pair of gloves after making a previous sandwich. They have a bread cutting knife use soley for that and a knife to cut the sandwiches at the end of the line which they wipe down after each sandwich is made... yes they wipe the leftovers into the bend but that is before they start with the next customers sandwich and they wash their hands before they put on the new gloves. The worst I ever seen was at a Mexican Place where they make their own chips fresh daily and put them in 32 gallon trash cans in the backroom. I was dropping a cart of beer off in the same room and literally seen a rat come pushing his way out of the half secured lid and landed on the floor and scurried out the back door (which they left open and blocked for ventilation in the summer months.) So yeah I have seen much worse, even much worse than that.......

I used to deliver freshly slaughtered pigs to restaurants in China Town.... you don't want to know what the fridges look like! Me thinks the health inspectors are getting rich?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I worked in a steak house when I was at college and the chef was so disgusting for years I wouldn't eat anywhere that didn't have an open kitchen so you could see how the food was prepared.
    One night he dropped his wig in the deep fat fryer, pulled it out and continued cooking people's food. Still fancy some french fries?

How is that unsanitary? That oil is hot enough to kill any cooties or whatever may have been in his wig.
    Good point. Deep fried hair is probably better than uncooked hair (it was real hair in the wig, just not his...) Probably better than spitting phlegm in the sink he used for food prep or not washing his hands after using the toilet I suppose. I must get a sense of proportion.
    :happy:
  • MarieAnneN
    Options

+1000

Also, well, fast food and all restaurants are not cleaner than you at home. Cook, you will save money, time and calories OR deal with the up and downs of restaurants!
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options

Exactly!!

You probably won't get funny looks. Most people who have worked in a customer service job for any length of time are used to high maintenance kooks making weird requests.

It's not about "high maintenance kooks". It's about quality standards. Some people are highly allergic to certain foods, and cross contaminating foods by using the same knife can actually kill someone who is. My nephew has a peanut allergy, and if someone, for example, used the same knife from cutting a PBJ sandwich on his jelly-only sandwich, he could get very sick and yes, even perish.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    too much germophobia
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Exactly!!

It's not about "high maintenance kooks". It's about quality standards. Some people are highly allergic to certain foods, and cross contaminating foods by using the same knife can actually kill someone who is. My nephew has a peanut allergy, and if someone, for example, used the same knife from cutting a PBJ sandwich on his jelly-only sandwich, he could get very sick and yes, even perish.

No, I wasn't intimating that YOUR request was out of line or that YOU were a high maintenance kook. Lots of other people might be though.

I never order the PBJ at Subway. They leave the jelly too close to the lettuce and it starts looking all "healthy". Eww.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I mean I don't know what Subways you all have been going to... But my Subway cleans the knife (I watch them do this) and change their gloves with every new sandwich/salad and there is a SEPERATE person taking money.

I also just get their salads, but thats a personal preference.

I get that not all Subways are like this- so I would complain and politely ask them to change their gloves and clean their knives BEFORE serving you.
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    I think I've just gone off subway,,

me too. i mean not that im a big fan. but thats just gross
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How do you uptight people live thru the day? By taking handfuls of anxiety pills, I guess. Trash hole? Do you think they are putting used diapers in there? They are pushing bread crumbs and spinach in there that hasn't been touched by human hands yet. And you want them to use a new knife on every sandwich? Really?

I love how people think this is how fast food gets made. THIS IS HOW ALL FOOD GETS MADE. Even in your own homes. Do you think your mom used a fresh knife on your PB&J sandwich after she cut your brother's? Good luck at Thanksgiving.

Can one of you alarmists please stop by your local ER and count how many people are there because of Subway, McDonalds or any other food place before you panic?
  • feather314
    Options
    Hmmm, I've never paid that much attention to the "knife' however I always get a six inch veggie sub. I know that my Subway has knives at the bread end of the counter that are only used for bread. Then 1 person puts on your cheese - with gloves (and meat if you're into that). Then someone else puts on your veggies (with gloves) and any mayo or sauces (which are all in squeeze bottles). Since my sandwiches are always 6 inch they never need to cut them again. The cashier is then usually someone else that has never even touched my sandwich and by the time they get it it's already wrapped in paper and in the plastic bag so there is no actual contact.

I don't go to Subway very often (less than once per month) but next time I do I will totally watch to see what they do with 12 inch subs and the "knife".
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options

Or any restaurant for that matter.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I never goto subway. Way too much sodium.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are much worse things out that we don't know about.. think I'll keep eating subway!:happy: