Staying the same

Options
Hi,

I have been staying the same for a few weeks now, i am not sure if i am eating to many calories, not enough. I excercise around 3 times per week, can anyone offer advice?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    We need more info. How many calories are you eating? Are you exercising? Can you open your diary.
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, we can be more help.
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    I just had to take a hard look at myself and determine this too. I decided I was eating too much of a good thing, I'm Paleo so already don't do breads, refined sugars or dairy.... but I was eating too many nuts and nut butters (cashew, almond and sunflower seed butters) so I eliminated them starting today. Starting next week my hubby and I are going to do the 21-day sugar detox and cut out fruit too. Sometimes even the healthy things can derail you...........
  • sharonwright1982
    Options
    i just fee like am eating less and excersing and nothing. I use to run but suffering shin splints, so brisk walk now.

I am 5ft 11, 30 and work at a desk all day.

Are you suppost to eat excecise calories?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    i just fee like am eating less and excersing and nothing. I use to run but suffering shin splints, so brisk walk now.

I am 5ft 11, 30 and work at a desk all day.

Are you suppost to eat excecise calories?

A lot of days you barely hit 1200 calories. Yes, you should eat some of you exercise calories. Btw, how much do you weigh? I can run your numbers and see how many calories you need.
  • sharonwright1982
    Options
    hi psulemon,

i weigh 193.

excercise 3 times per week, for around one hour each time. I would like to loose around 1.5 - 2lbs per week.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    If you are 5'11 eating under 1200 calories won't help. I'm also 5'11 and when I started MPF gave me 1440. Did that for 4 weeks and barely lost, increased to between 1500-1600 calories daily without exercise and slowly (1 pound/week) lost almost 45 pounds. Please up your calories for 3 weeks without weighing - keep walking - and see if it helps.
  • asticoral
    Options
    I just had to take a hard look at myself and determine this too. I decided I was eating too much of a good thing, I'm Paleo so already don't do breads, refined sugars or dairy.... but I was eating too many nuts and nut butters (cashew, almond and sunflower seed butters) so I eliminated them starting today. Starting next week my hubby and I are going to do the 21-day sugar detox and cut out fruit too. Sometimes even the healthy things can derail you...........

Wouldn't just cutting the nuts and fruit intake by a half be a better bet? I recently found Mark's Daily Apple and I am thoroughly intrigued in it.

Sharon: In MY opinion, you aren't eating the right way. If it comes in a bag, box or can, don't buy it.
    Add the sodium column to your dairy.

Remember the food pyramid ~ veggies, fruits, meat then starches.
    Take your caloric intake (using 1400 for this) and divide it by 3 meals - so 400 to 500 cals. per meal, snacks are what will put you over when eating some of your exercise bonus back ( I like using up to half as a lee-way)

For breakfast; oatmeal with greek yogurt, peanut butter or a banana in it. Or a hard boiled egg and apple.
    Lunch: steamed veggies, brussel sprouts, broccoli with fish, chicken breast
    Dinner: a sweet potato, gigantic salad with diced apples, walnuts and grapes in it, BBQ ribs

For Me... I start out the day eating whatever strikes my fancy, like yesterday I was craving eggs...so starting with a protein, my next meal had to have the veggies and or fruit so I was still working the pyramid.
  • sharonwright1982
    Options
    so change it to 1600 and should i eat excercise calories or not?
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    If you change it to 1600 don't eat exercise calories (especially if you are only walking 3 days a week). Try this for 3 weeks, like I said. DON'T GET ON THE SCALE for a full 3 weeks. The fluctuations will drive you crazy. Your body needs time to adjust - right now you aren't giving it enough to run on. It might get a bit shocked and gain/stay the same for a week or 2.

My goal weight was 157. I'm now 147 because I continued doing this for too long. Now, to maintain my weight I need to eat at least 1900 calories or I lose...I'd like to get up to 153 or so because I think I looked healthier then...right now I wear at 4/6 pants, started in a 14/16.

This works if you stick with it...hang in there!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    hi psulemon,

i weigh 193.

excercise 3 times per week, for around one hour each time. I would like to loose around 1.5 - 2lbs per week.

Based on this info i would have you at 1900 calories. Unfortunately, you are too close to a normal weight to aim for 1.5 - 2 lbs per week. You will probably have to aim for 1 lb per week. Also, i generally suggest 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. High protein diets have been proven to be best for weight loss as it maintains your lean body mass. And muscle is what gives your body a tight and lean figure. If you have a chance i would start weight training as its also been proven to cut fat faster.

Also with this method, you dont eat back exercise calories. I have ot baked into your tdee calculation already.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Don't feel too bad. I've been hovering at the same 10lb. fluctuation plateau since March. I know I've lost fat, because I went from not being able to run 50 feet, to jogging my first 5k this weekend and I jog every other day, so much healthier than I was before, but that scale is conspiring against me and I have tried cutting and upping calories. I have insulin resistance so weight loss is even more difficult than normal. Best advice I can give is don't focus on the scale. Instead work on your fitness. Strength training and regular 3-5 times a week of cardio. The strength training builds muscle (which burns more cals than fat) and the cardio helps to burn cals or at least maintain if that scale seems to be stuck. :flowerforyou:
  • sharonwright1982
    Options
    Thank you very much. I can only try !!
    hi psulemon,

i weigh 193.

Based on this info i would have you at 1900 calories. Unfortunately, you are too close to a normal weight to aim for 1.5 - 2 lbs per week. You will probably have to aim for 1 lb per week. Also, i generally suggest 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. High protein diets have been proven to be best for weight loss as it maintains your lean body mass. And muscle is what gives your body a tight and lean figure. If you have a chance i would start weight training as its also been proven to cut fat faster.

Also with this method, you dont eat back exercise calories. I have ot baked into your tdee calculation already.
  • zen82
    zen82 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat more. My diet contents are all over at the moment (stress - working on it) but I eat a lot more than you are, am only 5'2 and only had 7lbs ish to lose, which I did on eating more than 1200 net!
  • sarahm0683
    Options
    Hey guys, I am female, 29 years old and currently weigh 239 lbs and am 5 ft 5. I'm disabled and can't leave the house so am unable to do any exercise at all.
    I was doing weight watchers but their pro points of nt counting fruit and veg was making me put on weight or sts
    So I've come back to mfp. I'm a little unsure as to how many calories I should be eating. I have tried 1600 for two weeks now (200 less than I was on, on weight watchers and I've stayed the same for two weeks. Should I up the calories back up to 1800 a day or what calories should I be consuming considering I can't do any physical activity.
    Any help would be massively appreciated. Xxxx
    Sarah xxxx
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The human body is an intricate machine. It is NOT going to give you predictable loss consistently! Just because we want it to, doesn't mean it will. If you do all the right things FOR YOUR BODY, and be patient, it WILL adjust to your efforts, and it will give you the pay off.

For most of August and all of September I hovered at the same weight. I kept consistent, and in Oct I lost 7 lbs. Consistency and patience is the key!!!!!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    The human body is an intricate machine. It is NOT going to give you predictable loss consistently! Just because we want it to, doesn't mean it will. If you do all the right things FOR YOUR BODY, and be patient, it WILL adjust to your efforts, and it will give you the pay off.

For most of August and all of September I hovered at the same weight. I kept consistent, and in Oct I lost 7 lbs. Consistency and patience is the key!!!!!

I am going to second this. Some bodies don't respond positively to changes right away. Mine responded to decreased volume of food by holding onto everything for awhile (constipation). Finally this week things have evened out.
  • sarahm0683
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    I've learnt to be patient in regards to my weight
    But was just a little unsure as to how many calories
    I should be on as i wasn't able to know exactly how
    Many I was on, on weight watchers because
    They calculate everything in pro points value.
    Does anyone know how many I should be
    Consuming to lose weight using the figures above regarding
    My current weight and the fact I cannot do any
    Exercise ( nt even walking) I really appreciate
    Your help :) thank you xxxx
  • viccigb
    viccigb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue this week. I'm going to give it another week and see what happens. I see a dietician who actually told me not to eat back my exercise calories. I know I need to up my veggie intake to get more in. Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I've had the same issue this week. I'm going to give it another week and see what happens. I see a dietician who actually told me not to eat back my exercise calories. I know I need to up my veggie intake to get more in. Good luck!

Most dietitians include exercise as part of your calculation so you would not be required to eat back your exercise calories.