Belly just won't go away

Options
I have been a member of MFP for several months. I started the C25k program in July and will be finishing it this weekend at the San Diego Color RUn 5k. I have been very successful losing weight (down nearly 10 pounds), but I have been measuring as well and there is no change in the numbers of my belly and hips. I don't understand. I stay within my calorie, fat, carb, protein goal, I don't drink soda, or eat chips and sweets. I recently gave up meat (about a month ago) and there is still no change. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Replies

• GoatBoat66
    Options
    Belly and hips are the last place for fat to generally disappear. There's nothing you can do aside from maintaining a deficit and giving it time.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    congrats on your weight loss! Unfortunately since you can't "spot reduce" the only thing you can do is just to continue being healthy and exercise and it will come eventually. On women usually the last place you lose weight is in your waist and hips...it's just how our bodies are designed! I struggle with that fact as well since I feel my stomach has not gone down as much as it should. Just keep doing what you're doing and it will come!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Might want to pick up strength training. Also, ensure you are getting adequate protein, MFP sets protein way too low for pretty much everyone.

From there, wait. Just gotta lose the fat.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i take it your other measurements are going down? try not to be discouraged. we deposit a lot more fat in our bellies and thighs, and since we can't target fat , it takes a lot longer to go away from those areas. your thighs have probably gained muscle, explaining the same measurements. not sure about the belly.

perhaps it's time for you to introduce weights and strength training to your routine. the results i've seen on here from strength training/weights have been incredible. especially the comparison pics some women show of their bodies at the same weight (i.e. 130 before strength training and 130 after strength training) and EVERYTHING is tinier after they start with the weights.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It's genetics.

For most women the only way to lose it is to have a body fat % about 18-20%

but definitely take up strength training. Build some muscle.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You are probably an apple shape, which makes losing belly fat harder. I am a pear and lose easily in the belly but my bum and hips ... well, not so much. :grumble:

Keep running, it's a great way to burn fat. But also adding strength training would likely make a big difference. Weights, bodyweight exercises, resistance bands, whatever you have access to and enjoy. And now that you've mastered the 5k, maybe try some HIIT running to kick up the intensity and burn more calories.

Also, if you don't have diabetes or any other ailment that could affect your kidneys, you might want to eat over the default MFP protein setting to help keep muscle as you lose.

Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's genetics.

For most women the only way to lose it is to have a body fat % about 18-20%

What?? If this is true then I am one lucky woman because my BF has never been that low (not even close really) and I've had a flat belly most of my life.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it! It will come. My hips have been stubbornly resistant, but they're finally going down a little bit (1/2" in October). My waist took a long time too, but then it suddenly started disappearing too - I lost 3" off my waist in September and another inch in October. For me, I lost over 20 pounds and it didn't seem like my shape changed at all. Then I lost the next 10 and my shape changed a ton.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Belly and hips are the last place for fat to generally disappear. There's nothing you can do aside from maintaining a deficit and giving it time.

this

plus make sure you are getting enough protein, like 100g per day.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    It's true that you can't spot reduce as far as fat is concerned, but you can certainly do it by toning the muscles. If you haven't already, find a thorough abs workout to do regularly.
  • beckyb0724
    beckyb0724 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

this

100g of protein!? Holy Smokes! I think MFP has me at around 48g per day.
  • ernielaurie
    Options
    With walking/jogging, never expect to see results quickly. But when when it does happen, it will seem like the change happened overnight. It will change, just keep going.
  • holidaydra
    Options
    Gee, I want to loose the fat on the muffin top and arm too. :V
  • KitchenAbs
    Options
    I eat 120g of protein a day and it rocks. I've gone down to a uk size 6 and I still have a huge stomach. I run, kickbox and strength train and have done for three years but nothing shifted my stomach. I've started doing the paleo diet and have lost 3 inches off my stomach in three weeks. Might be worth looking into :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options

this

Yeah, that's why everyone is saying MFP sets Protein too low. You can reconfigure your macros by going to

MY HOME> Goals> Change goals> Custom
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this

MFP sets protein at 15% when really you should be aiming for more like 25-30% if you do regular exercise.

plus, if you want to maximise fat loss and minimise LBM loss then a good strength training regime and plenty of protein are what you need!
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options

this

MFP's protein limits are ridiculously low. I aim for a gram of protein per pound of weight.

I hit my goal weight and still had a bit of a belly. It wasn't until I upped my protein and started lifting heavy that it started to disappear.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Start doing some core work. Planks are a great place to start. They will help work on your abs, hips, and back muscles.

http://www.abs-exercise-advice.com/plank.html
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    For women the last place to go is usually the belly and hips. You probably will continue to lose weight, your arms may shrink, thighs and calves will all get smaller, but the belly and hips will be the slowest to see progress. Women are genetically pre-disposed to hold weight in those areas so we can have babies.

My suggestion to you would be to keep doing what you are doing with C25k, and some strength or resistance training into your routine, and try to get more protein in your diet. Women also tend to be low on protein, which keeps you fuller longer.

I am already fairly thin, and my belly is the absolute LAST to go. My thighs start shrinking when I have about 10 pounds left to lose, and then finally my belly. Eating a high-protein diet and avoiding processed foods has also helped me.

Just be patient and don't give up. You may never have the abs of Mario Lopez, but through CONSISTENT exercise and good diet, you can make huge strides.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    2 things I focused on were getting enough fiber and I also lift weights and have had great results in my belly.

I don't do any concentrated ab work but I do get a bit from softball batting practice