I have too many apples!

Options
WickedGarden
WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
50+ pounds, they were free. Fuji apples, so a bit tart (I love them).

I don't like applesauce (but will make a little bit for my baking).

Got any good recipes to use them up? I'd like to use them in my meals, like with a roast or something.

Thanks!

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I went apple picking a month ago and got a bushel - wayyy too much for me. Let's just say I've been making a ton of apple-protein muffins! You can use the apples in salads, oatmeal, and there's lots of low-cal apple dessert ideas out there if you are willing to look.
  • rachelandbsst
    Options
    I make apple banana smoothies. They have apple, banana, cinnamon, and yogurt. It works best to peel the apples so you don't have all the apple skins in your smoothie. It's so good! :happy:
  • Tdaughtersmom
    Tdaughtersmom Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Juice them! It uses up 3 or 4 apples each time.
    I like apple and celery juice
    Also, apple and spinach
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    apple butter *drools*
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    How many apples is that? Like 150? I would put a lot in the fridge if you can so they last longer. You could probably make a bunch of pies. You will need pies for thanksgiving! I don't know if you can make a pie and then freeze it? Do you think it would stay good?
  • HealthyMe46
    HealthyMe46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Apple oatmeal crisp baked in the oven at 375 for 45 mins.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everybody!

Maybe I just need to break down and buy a juicer, and palmerig88 I cut up and froze apples last year (a lot of them are still in there :embarassed: ) I cannot possible fit all the apples in the fridge, and I would guess I have close to 300 apples.

Most of the recipes I look for end up being for cakes/tarts/muffins...so many carbs and sugar.

I think I will make caramel apples and give them as gifts this year.
  • tiffyree
    tiffyree Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    baked apples (core & stuff w/ a little brown sugar, oatmeal, raisins, cranberries, etc) and bake until soft

cut acorn squash in half & gut, bake flesh side down for 25-30 mins thenb flip over & fill w/ apple mixture (aprox 2 diced apples, 1 T butter melted & some sweetener, brown sugar, honey, splenda)
  • smithknkm
    Options
    You can cut up the apples and bag them for pie or whatever in the freezer, pull out a bag and dump in a pie shell and bake! Yummy!
  • pjsayler
    pjsayler Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try these, Apple baked pork chops~ 4 to 6 thick boneless pork chops. dust the chops in flour and brown in a small amount of vegie oil (use a non-stick pan), Place browned chops in a baking dish and then core, peel , and slice as many apples as you want (I use 1 for each chop or 2 if small), mix your sliced apples with 1/4 to 1/2 c. of brown sugar and 1 to 1 1/2 t. cinnamon. Place the apple mixture on top of your chops and season w/salt and ground pepper to taste. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Your house will smell heavenly and they are so delicious..........
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    How many apples is that? Like 150? I would put a lot in the fridge if you can so they last longer. You could probably make a bunch of pies. You will need pies for thanksgiving! I don't know if you can make a pie and then freeze it? Do you think it would stay good?

I wouldn't do that. Rather, freeze the apples, then thaw them when you are ready to make the pie. There are several websites with info on properly freezing apples. Currently, I have a couple pounds of Jonathans that I froze to preserve them before they went bad.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    apple butter *drools*

This! I made up a big batch in the slow cooker and I plan to include them in gift baskets this year (along with homemade vanilla extract and pomegranate jelly).