What am I doing wrong?

Options
I tend to stay under my 1300 calories and don't lose anything. I hate this 168-172 range. I began yoga again this morning. I walk my butt off all day at work also. 60-100 crunches every other day and nothing???

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I looked at your diary and noticed that for the past week, at least, you've been eating what look like a lot of high sodium foods. high sodium can mean water retention. Are you drinking plenty of water? You might want to try tracking your sodium levels and see if it has any impact.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you haven't been staying under your budget most days and some are over by 500 calories. That would be one explanation.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Your # of calories are fine for your size. People here are going to tell you to eat more but they are taller or male. On days you do burn more than 300 then you should eat more. But right now your body seems to be holding onto what you consume. You need to watch your sodium and eat more fiber and drink more water add ice and flavor if you have to in order to drink more and limit carbonated sodas. Good luck. Add me a 5'2" female if you want to.:happy:
  • kookeepup
    Options
    Hi, saw one of the comments that you may have been having high sodium foods and this could cause for water retention. I was having this issue myself and was getting frustrated but now that I have it under control I can finally see the weight loss progress.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I took a look at your diary and just a few observations -

LOT's of processed foods
    some sketchy logging (homemade garlic bread 100 calories?) and quick adds?
    it seems you stick to low cals for 4 or 5 days and then have a high calorie day

You should try to eat more fresh fruit and veggies
    more protein - eggs, greek yogurt, cheese, chicken, turkey, fish
    less processed foods and treats
    You could actually up your calories and add more healthy and nutritious foods and stay consistent with that number rather than having spike days
    Also - shake up your exercise routines. I love yoga, it's beneficial on a lot of levels! But if you're not doing 'power yoga' or a more challenging form of yoga you're not getting a whole lot of bang for your buck. Walking is awesome too. But since you are not seeing results it's time to light a fire and get moving with something more challenging!
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    How is your appetite? I've noticed a few things: you're inconsistant with meal size, you don't show any snacks, and you have high sodium meals. Have you tried adding in the occasional snack? Or adjusting when you eat your larger meals to see if that changes anything? (I've noticed I over-eat at lunch if I don't have a big enough breakfast or miss my morning snack). Snacking isn't for everyone, but maybe being consistant day to day will help....

Also, a quick suggestion (for what its worth), add fiber and sodium to you macros for tracking. You don't want to overlook these 2 areas any more than you do protein. If you're sodium is too high that can give you issues, as well as not enough fiber.
  • Ladysquire
    Ladysquire Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just had a look at your diary and I would say that it might be a good idea to cut out some of those processed foods and start eating more fresh home made meals. The sodium comments are right so cutting back on the processed foods will immediately help with that and also drinking more water (I am AWFUL for water drinking :-/)

Also I would suggest you try splitting your calories up more evenly over the day and having a bigger breakfast. I tend to have a big bowl of bran cereal with fruit and it fills me up until lunch.

Get snacking too, that should curb hunger which often leads to just having a big evening meal and going a bit overvoard. This was always my problem.

Good luck :)
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    As they say in 12 step programs, denial ain't a river in Egypt...

I looked through your diary.

Some days you haven't logged at all. Some days you are WAY over on calories. Some days it looks like you logging is incomplete.

When you are serious, the tools are here and ready to be used.
  • a_crotty
    a_crotty Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll take it all into consideration. I do snack, I think and today I began half my body weight in water. Ice water at that.
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I was not losing for a while, and I added a new exercise to my routine which seemed to help a lot. I added Ripped in 30 three days a week, and then I run the other days (with one rest day). I think it helped b/c although I try to log correctly, I think I'm not always the best. It gave me a little more wiggle room, and I actually like the results a lot as far as how I feel too! Hope that helps!!
  • yannuzzi
    Options
    I looked at your diet and exercise diary and let me say these things. First of all, EXERCISE MORE. If your goal is to eat 1300 calories a day you do that and burn 300 calories walking/running/ANYTHING CARDIO...then your NET calories are only 1000. Eating at a deficit temporarily DOES WORK!!! I do not eat my exercise calories but rarely. Only on special occasions, like my anniversary coming up. I typically burn 500 a day and I eat 1200. I'm losing anywhere between 1 and 2 lbs a week. It works!!!

Secondly, quit eating so much processed foods/carbs. Eat WAY MORE fruits and veggies (lower cal so you get to eat more) and push the water, at least 8 glasses a day. Try to get your necessary carbs from fruits and veggies and not breads/pastas/dough etc.... Much healthier for you and the processed foods are higher in sodium as well and if you're not getting the necessary water to flush that......it's a no win situation either.

Good luck!!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    How tall are you OP?!
    Chances are 1600-2k is your ideal caloric intake.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay under my 1300 calories and don't lose anything. I hate this 168-172 range. I began yoga again this morning. I walk my butt off all day at work also. 60-100 crunches every other day and nothing???

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Hi there. I looked at your diary and noticed that for the past week, at least, you've been eating what look like a lot of high sodium foods. high sodium can mean water retention. Are you drinking plenty of water? You might want to try tracking your sodium levels and see if it has any impact.

Bang. Right there. Sodium is key. If you have a good amount of sodium, it will cause you to hold water more. I doubled my sodium goal yesterday, and I weighed in at 2.5 lbs higher than 24hrs ago. I know that I will work it off today though. Calories are meaningless if you do not pay attention to where they come from.

What is worse: a 400 calorie ramen soup, a 400 calorie doughnut, or a 400 calorie piece of chicken in regular bbq sauce? Well, the ramen would be because although it may have the same amount of calories as all the others, it has no nutrient value. At least that doughnut is giving you carbs for energy. And, well, chicken is chicken. Chock full of good stuff.

What I am doing, is I am educating myself on the science of nutrition. I dont know everything, but I am a practical guy and like to know the science behind it. "Knowledge is power," to quote a famous philosopher.
  • a_crotty
    Options
    HOLY COW! I took the advice of upping my water and starting to really watch the sodium intake and....I broke that 168-172 range by weighing in this morning at 167!

I am going to now say NO to work lunches (catered in lunches by evil evil drug reps) LOL
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE & BMR and go from there. You may not be eating enough.
  • a_crotty
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE & BMR and go from there. You may not be eating enough.

Pardon the ignorance but I have no idea what that means.
  • Tenar13
    Tenar13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you take a look at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 this thread should help you work out

1. How much your body burns just to maintain itself (BMR)
    2. Body fat %
    3. How much your body burns based on your daily activiity (ie lifestyle/exercise) TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)

The third is the level of calories you would eat to maintain your current weight then you can take a % off it to loose at the best rate for you.

I have found it invaluable - I was eating around my BMR and not loosing - upped to 15% cut on TDEE and am finally losing the last 10lbs - whilst appearing to maintain my muscle (tone is beginning to show from under the fat).
  • a_crotty
    Options
    I'm way under my TDEE so that's good if I am understanding this correctly, however, I've only just begun so let's see if I feel this same way (what am I doing wrong) in 1 month.

Thanks everyone, once again.