your "specialty" during the holidays...

Options

Replies

• tigerlinly
    tigerlinly Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i wind up making so many cookies we wind up taking some to the local fire dept as a treat after the holidays to the point the last 5 years i have been forbidden to make cookies
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Fancy Green Bean Casserole (I say fancy because I make it from scratch using fresh green beans, fresh mushrooms and carmelized onions, and white pepper gravy. And the French's Fried Onions on top)

Maple Sausage and Sage Stuffing

Jello Pretzel Salad

Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan and Brown Sugar Struesel

I like to cook :)
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    About an hour after the meal, gas that can clear the room.

HAH! Same here.

I'm the oldest of the grandkids at 30, but the rest of them are 21, 18, 18, and 16. They're not responsible for anything yet for family holiday meals and my family only says "Oh, a veggie tray" or something of the sort when I ask what I can bring. If I instead say "Oh do you want me to bring .____?" they're like "No, so and so is already making ____". I think the generation before me just got so used to covering the veggies, potatoes, pies, etc that they're in the habit and don't want to give it up.

Which was nice when I was younger and had no recipes of my own, but now I'm getting more recipes of my own and more comfortable in the kitchen (they've never tasted my cooking, so it's not that) I would like to contribute an actual dish or two of some sort.

*edited to add* Although thinking about it and reading some of your replies.......I have pretty much taken over making my grandma's christmas cookies (still at her house so she can join in the fun a little bit). Last year, I invited my cousins over and they helped. I kinda coached them through it as they'd never made "grandma's recipes", in addition to doing the work myself :) New traditions!
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I make my special dip- it is super bad for you, aka why I only make it once or twice a year.
    Feel free to try it and get addicted, just make sure to workout before hand

Cream cheese softened (not the whip kinds)
    Milk (Use a little until you get the dip consistency you want, you can always add more but you can't take away!)
    Green Onions chopped ( about 3 full stems for every block of cream cheese you use)
    1Garlic fresh if you have it but not required ( I use the garlic press so you don't get chunks)
    Mrs. Dash Original (I go by taste and I like a lot lol just depends on how many cream cheese you use)
    Garlic salt or powder( Also depends on your liking. BUT use less if you use real garlic, and if you choice garlic salt over powder also go easy so it doesn't get to salty)

I like to make the dip the night before and put it in the fridge so the flavors marinate but its not required.
    Just make sure to take it out a little before the party so it can soften.
    I promise everyone will love it.

ENJOY!
  • tigerlinly
    Options
    lemonade pie
    graham cracker crust or make your own with fat free graham crackers
    packet of unsweetened lemonade koolaide
    can of fat free sweetened condensed milk
    half of or container (your choice) fat free coolwhip
    mix together pour into graham cracker crust and chill it
    after chill top it with more of the fat free cool whip
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Bourbon balls
    Broccoli w/ mexican velveeta casserole
    pecan pie
    chocolate chip cookies
    oatmeal/pecan cookies

(beginning to realize why my brother-in-law says we have a "celebration of food"....)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    QUEEN of SNICKERDOODLES.

I challenge you to a duel!!!! ahaha I love making snickerdoodles!

For Thanksgiving, I also make cream cheese cupcakes with cinnamon icing that have a mini "surprise" pumpkin pie baked in the middle :)

GIVEMETHISRECIPERIGHTNOWNOWNOW :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: pretty please?
  • tigerlinly
    Options
    mom has a recipie that when we lived in New Orleans when i was a child a friend of hers borrowed a pie plate she returned it with this pie in it stating she never returned an empty dish now its a favorite of the family (except me i'm not crazy about pears)
    PEAR PIE

First, set oven on 350 degrees. Next, drain 1 can of pear halves reserving juice. (I like to cut them in half-making quarters) Place the pears on several thicknesses of paper toweling to dry.

For the crust:
    ½ cup margarine (1 stick) softened 1 cup all-purpose flour
    ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar ½ cup coconut

Combine ingredients and mix with hands. Spread in oblong pan and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately stir with a spoon and press into bottom and sides of pie plate. (Pressing with a second pie plate works well, but this must be done while the mixture is quite hot!) Set aside to cool

For the filling:
    ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar ¾ cup reserved pear juice
    1/3 cup all purpose flour ¾ cup milk
    ¼ teaspoon salt 2 eggs (slightly beaten)
    2 teaspoons margarine ½ teaspoon vanilla

Combine sugar, flour and salt in medium saucepan. Blend in pear juice and milk until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Boil one minute. Remove from heat, and gradually stir hot mixture into margarine and eggs (in larger saucepan). Until all is added. Boil one minute longer. Blend in vanilla and pour into crust. Chill.
    (I have begun doing this process in bowls, in the microwave. It’s the only way I seem to be able to keep from scorching it!)

Before serving, spread top with sweetened whipped cream, (or Cool Whip). Dip the pears into a mixture of ¼ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and arrange on top.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    apple salad....
    i could actually make it any time of the year, but its something for december only lol, its sooo good!
  • Gremlinz
    Gremlinz Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    Christas time it is Egg Nog Creme Brulee......
  • tanyakershaw29
    Options
    bump!
  • DaphneAtx
    Options
    I don't cook much, but I'm always responsible for the mashed potatoes. My secret ingredient is creme fraiche. It makes for a lovely creaminess and tang that is just amazing. My family keeps asking me for the secret ingredient, but I won't tell them.
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin bread pudding with cinnamon whipped cream. Yum. Every one loves it!
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Peppermint cheesecake with chocolate cookie crust.

I didn't make this last year because I was trying to be good since I had just lost 30 lbs. (since I haven't lost any since and have gained since starting strength traing :-( I might not be as good this year)!!!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    It's not Thanksgiving unless I get my chocolate mousse pie. My mom used to make it every year, and now she's passed the recipe on to me.

Christmas my mom always makes gingerbread and sugar cookies, and my dad always makes these Norwegian cookies called krumkeke. I haven't had any krumkeke in a while though, because you have to have a specific iron to make them, and my dad has it. I think he brought some when he visited last Christmas though.
  • begreenbe
    begreenbe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I come from Hispanic heritage (Puerto Rican/Dominican) so for the holidays my mother and I usually make a huge batch of pasteles which is basically root veggies/plantains shaped sort of like a tamale and stuffed with pork. They're fabulous. Also arroz con gandules (yellow rice with pigeon peas) and coquito which is a Puerto Rican (very potent *kitten*) coconut rum egg nog.

None of the above is light on the calories or fat just sayin. :flowerforyou:

Love the coquito! I'll make 2 batches over the holidays!
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    Bump
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I make amazing cream cheese filled pumpkin rolls!

recipe, please :)
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    this thread is making me wish Christmas was next week...
  • roman109
    Options
    bump