Thanksgiving-Strategies to Stay on Track!

Options

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    HA HA, No sorry! The Texans have never even played on Thanksgiving day! I cheer your "Loins" on every week, except for 11/22! :laugh: :drinker: :drinker:
    Fair enough...the Detroit Lions have played like 73 games on Thanksgiving Day....not sure how many of these they ever won, but its probably not a good number :laugh:

LOL @ "Loins" though....[sigh]...Matthew Stafford :tongue:
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat as normal but my plan was to burn an extra 2500 calories from Sunday to Wednesday, so maybe an extra hour on the bike or something.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm going to enjoy my mashed potatoes, from-scratch stuffing with sausage in it, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, ice cream, the works (except the turkey...I don't like the holiday turkey).

One day isn't going to kill me. I'm not doing this to deprive myself of deliciousness. I'm glad dinner is at my house so I can at least somewhat control what goes into the preparations for the day. I've found some healthier pumpkin pie options, we use turkey-based sausage in our stuffing (cousin doesn't eat red meat, so we avoid it all together for him) and the ice cream is homemade so lots of cream and such, but oh so good!

I'm going to be stuffed and loving every single minute of it!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My Strategy is to run a 5K that morning and not sweat the rest. The extent to which I will do anything else is that I make my own cranberry sauce.

I will have stuffing
    I will have pie, especially my wife's lemon meraguine
    I will have what ever portugese food my brother-in-law and his dad make

Friday I will continue to eat as I have been and not worry about what happened yesterday.

Oh, and since I'm not driving I'll have a glass or two of wine.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Aww.. Thanksgiving has tons of yummy food. I don't have a sure game plan yet. I want to do the best to stay on track. I hope to get a little of everything and chew a lot/eat slowly.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My plan:
    1) Run an 8k in the morning
    2) Eat whatever I want, but in reasonable portions
    3) Drink plenty of wine
    4) Save room for a slice of pie
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    My strategy for Thanksgiving?

EAT ALL THE FOOD!

Jesus Christ people, it's ONE DAY! This is a lifestyle change, there are going to be holidays, and birthday parties, and things that come up where we will want to splurge. I eat pretty clean about 90% of the time, so one day of splurging is not going to be the end of the world.

Happy Thanksgiving and GO TEXANS!

HELL YEAAH!! Love the way you think!!! Guess I'll try to do as much damage control as I can but hell let's just call it one big *kitten* spike day :bigsmile:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Just eat.
  • marksmom20
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure how I will plan for Thanksgiving, but here is what I have learned: even if I indulge, it is no where near how I indulged before I started on this journey. My tummy can no longer handle multiple helpings of deliciousness. Also, in the back of mind, whether I'm trying to let go and eat whatever I want, I am always thinking about how many calories this is or that is, so I probably take of it.....Happy (almost) Thanksgiving!!

This is exactly how I feel. I know that I can't eat as much as I did before and I'm always calculating calories on things I eat. So with those strategies I will eat better than I have in previous Thanksgivings, but still enjoy the day. One day now and then is okay :wink:
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I personally plan on eating up this Thanksgiving! I am not even logging this day HOWEVER I do plan on trying to get a pre thanksgiving boot camp up to try to get up early early am and run 5 miles so at dinner time I can somewhat enjoy and not worry to much about eating. If I cannot get a few friends in with me then I am gonna just do zumba and burn 500 or more calories this day. Either way I am getting a pre Thanksgiving boot camp so I can enjoy cake and pies like everyone else. lol
  • tigerlinly
    tigerlinly Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    usually at 9 or 10 that mornign a breakfast of eggs, maybe pancakes or biscuts and gravy

around 3-4 when the family gets there its turkey, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, broccoli casserole, peas, giblet gravy, dressing, wild rice and the list goes on. desserts include caramel apple pie, chocolate mousse pie, pumpkin pie, fudge, pecan pie banana pudding and much more
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    For us, it's as close as we can get for "healthy" turkey day food.

Turkey
    Mashed Cauliflower
    Betty Crocker homestyle stuffing w/ apples and onions added
    pumpkin pie....sort of...recipe from hungry girl website
    fresh raw veg for me
    cooked green beans from fresh for hubs

There are just the two of us, so no need to go overboard. Pretty much covered our favorites except the decadent marshmallow/sour cream/pineapple/walnuts/etc. salad which is just waaaay more than needed. We will take leftovers for dinner out of town the next couple of nights after.

Barb
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    My kids are in the marching band, so I'm going to the high school football game in the morning. One nice thing about this (besides not having to play hostess), is I'll get to my mom's house after everyone has already eaten the appetizers. Every year I make a sugar-free, crustless pumpkin pie, and a low-sugar cranberry sauce, so those are two safe to eat things. Everything else I'll do in moderation. I won't deprive myself and I'll try at least a little bit of everything on the table. (Well, I might skip the pecan pie!). I'll try to concentrate on the turkey and vegetables, and I'll only taste the potatoes and stuffing. After dinner, I might be able to talk my hubby into going for a walk and if it's nice outside, I might challenge the little kids to some kickball.

At least this is the plan.
  • Tranquil_Miche
    Options
    I will be at work. The Thanksgiving meal at the hospital is horrible (I had it last year), so I will be taking my lunch like normal and eat turkey leftovers my husband brings home from the festivities. We usually make our own turkey on the weekend when I'm off, but we don't do the extras.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    People, it's one meal! I say, workout hard all week. Eat what you want that day and continue to workout hard that weekend. Don't worry about it. You are not going to gain 10lbs over a meal!
  • psarah
    psarah Posts: 84
    Options
    I'm planning on cooking my favoriyes but with a healthy spin. Then eating in modertaion. I will also make sure i work out that morning with my 60 min of the eliptical; :):happy:
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    It was probably a poor strategy...but I ate no breakfast, just coffee, then loaded my plate with everything except potatoes and rolls (why waste calories on white things?) I tallied it all up, and everything i ate was still undert 900 calories...not that bad really...
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on cooking my favoriyes but with a healthy spin. Then eating in modertaion. I will also make sure i work out that morning with my 60 min of the eliptical; :):happy:

^This.
    I love turkey, but only the breast meat anyway so that is a healthy choice. A taste of everything, but try to make healthier sides.
    I am doing a 5K Turkey trot the morning of, and probably a walk in the late afternoon too.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat whatever I want on Thanksgiving lol. And then after that, it's right back on track like nothing happened.
  • ThisIsMaggie
    ThisIsMaggie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I did this last year and it worked perfectly. I assume most people could find someone to count on...For me it was my husband.

I knew ahead of time what was going to be served, also buffet style. Or at least had an idea.
    I also made sure what I brought (the pies) were "healthy/low cal" options.
    Me and my husband talk over the entire meal days before, over and over. What I wanted, what I didn't need...I am a sucker for mashed potatoes, that's my struggle year after year.
    Anyways, long story short, I had discussed every detail of my Thanksgiving lunch with my husband and when the time came he knew exactly how much I wanted of which foods and went through the buffet for me. I also made sure to put dessert on the dinner plate, everything on one plate means less for, for me anyway.
    Overall my Strategies are:
    1) Have a well understanding of the Thanksgiving menu
    2) Bring a dish that typically is fattening, but make it health-ier.
    3) Discuss plating with a friend/family member/hubby
    4) Have the friend go through the buffet for you
    5) Put everyone on one plate...dessert too.

6) Oh yeah, and drink lots of water before, during, and after you're meal...Really pound the water when you have to watch everyone else go for seconds, or thirds!

Good luck!