This might sound like a dumb question but..

Options
how good is water actually for you?

I know we should aim to drink 8 glasses a day but I know people that drink around 2-3 litres per day!

Does drinking a lot of water really make a difference health wise? I barely reach the minimum 8 glasses !!

Replies

• JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink ANY water as is. It's in whatever I drink, but I am not a fan of drinking it straight up...unless it's ice cold and drunk on a very hot day after doing something strenuous that makes me sweat..

I know, I'm weird. :laugh: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's important to stay hydrated. Water is the best way to keep yourself hydrated.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It's not good for you nutritionally. It does keep you hydrated which is good. It makes you feel fuller so you don't have to eat so much. It helps your digestion and keeps the sodium at bay. And statistically, those who drink water, lose more weight.
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink ANY water as is. It's in whatever I drink, but I am not a fan of drinking it straight up...unless it's ice cold and drunk on a very hot day after doing something strenuous that makes me sweat..

I know, I'm weird. :laugh: :drinker: :bigsmile:

me either. Plain water nah, maybe a 12oz glass a day..... but lots of coffee and carbonated flavored water, glass of crystal light, etc, and I'm doin just fine.
  • WalterWallCarpet
    Options
    Everyone that ever drunk water died. Think on.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Adequate hydration is needed for a multitude bodily functions....

Personally, it helps increase the about of times I use the bathroom
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    First, 8 glasses is about 2 liters.

Second, the 8 glass recommendation has been debunked ( http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day ).

Third, a lot of people (myself included) snack when they are actually thirsty and eat well past the point that their appetites are sated. Drinking water likely slows down eating, so the signal "stomach full" may have a chance to get through on a more timely basis.

Fourth, drinking water is a lot cheaper and healthier than drinking many other things. It's naturally sugar free, keeps the skin healthy, gives the intestines and kidneys something to work with, and won't hurt you unless you try to chug a gallon or so in, say, under an hour.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Only thing I drink, my workouts are much better when well hydrated.
  • MStanford336
    MStanford336 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Everyone that ever drunk water died. Think on.

That was funny Walter.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Water and what its good for..

functions-of-water-in-the-body.jpg

Most people go through their lives in various stages of dehydration. Water is essential. Do you have to drink all your water plain? Thats completely up to you. Everyone has varying opinions on this, but regardless, you should be drinking water throughout your day in tea, crystal light, some way of getting that fluid that your body desperately needs to function properly.
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Drinking water throughout the day (8 ounce-glass every 1-2 hours or so) will help keep and give your metabolism a little boost.. Colder the better since your body has work a little harder to "warm-up" the water to absorb it better, it burns off a few little extra calories...(why do you think water fountains at gyms are on the warm-side? so your body can take it in and absorb it faster)

If you can't stand drinking it straight, pick up some Mio Energy... couple squirts into a water bottle makes it taste like fruit juice (there are tea and lemonade versions also) without adding extra calories you'd normally get from similar drinks.
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Water and what its good for..

functions-of-water-in-the-body.jpg

Thanks for posting that! :drinker:
  • SusanRN2b
    SusanRN2b Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's not good for you nutritionally. It does keep you hydrated which is good. It makes you feel fuller so you don't have to eat so much. It helps your digestion and keeps the sodium at bay. And statistically, those who drink water, lose more weight.

It is actually good for you!

Additionally, if you drink it ice cold it increases your metabolism as your body burns calories in order to warm it up to body temp
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I have one coffee a day, besides that I only drink water. Every now and then I'll have a chocolate milk or a V8 but I just feel better drinking water.
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    With the exception to the milk I have in the mornings I have cereal for breakfast....water is ALL I drink! LOVE it! Always have! We were a Kool-aid house (there were 5 kids), but 9 out of 10...I chose water. There are many helth benefits to water...IMHO.
  • fitambitious
    fitambitious Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Water has helped me in my weight loss journey. I drink about 12-14 glasses of water daily. Water keeps me fresh and hydrated. It flushes out sodium and prevents water retention and bloating. Sometimes, thirst appears like hunger pangs, so drinking lots of water prevents me from ingesting extra calories. I generally feel better on days I drink more water compared to days where I drink less that 8 glasses.
  • fearie_jae
    fearie_jae Posts: 107 Member
    Options

It is actually good for you!

Additionally, if you drink it ice cold it increases your metabolism as your body burns calories in order to warm it up to body temp

while drinking ice cold water increases your metabolism, its such a tiny amount. that its hardly worth noting.

one thing about water is that if you dont drink enough water, you're body will actually retain more water. i carry a water bottle with me everywhere i go. i drink a glass before each meal too.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I drink lots.
    Sometimes throw lemon slices in it.

Maybe a can of diet coke with super.

I love water.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    DON'T force yourself to drink water if you are not thirsty. DO drink water instead of drinking fruit juice, soda, and gatorade and other "sport" drinks.
  • shawnteahsing
    shawnteahsing Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to get really bad headaches after working out. Now I drink water all day and no more headaches! Also, I eat less and pee WAY more!!!!