I HATE American sizes

Options

Replies

• sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    But also NOT happy with how looking in my clothes so will have to work on my eating for a while...
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I know, I went through pretty much the same thing, until my daughter dared me to try on her pants that were too big for her. They were a 5/6 and I have never fit a 5/6 in my life. To my surprise they fit, while I still wear my size 9s which fit but loosely.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    wow i love the US sizings lol. never in my life have i fitted into a size 6 and that's where i am headed now in the US sizes.lol.
    Aussie sizes i am in a size 8-10 so a 6 sounds much better hehe.
    I know it's mind over matter but it feels so good.

It did feel good to slip those 10's on. Yes, it's silly and it's all what you look like. But - oh vanity - it did feel good.
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The sizing thing is sure frustrating. Even men have a problem, for example my son has lost weight and his waist measurement was about 36. I picked up a few pairs of 36 jeans for him to try and they were very big. Mind you they were the straight fit not loose. So he goes and buys a 32 which had just a little wiggle room. After wearing them as day they are so big not to mentioned he lost another 5 lbs. So if the second hand stores carried his waist and length he'd buy them there and save.

My problem is length being 5"2" 't can't find any petite pants where I live and since sizing is such a mess I don't want to order any online.
  • Beewallows
    Beewallows Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I always find I fit into a size or 2 smaller when i go down to the US, no matter the state.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I carry a tape measure with me now. I measure the waistband of the jeans that fit me, and when I go to the store, and don't have time to try on pants (or at Costco) I just measure the waistband to make sure they fit.

I hate the 'vanity sizing' too! Right now I can fit into the shorts I wore in HS (they are a bit loose), and according to the sizing, they are supposed to be 3 sizes BIGGER than my current pants size (in reality there isn't much of a difference when you hold them up to each other. There is NO way, I am the same size as I was in HS, I weigh so much more.

I almost never see my current size in the stores anyway, what am I supposed to do? Go shop in the kids/teen section?
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I find them all different. I have to try them on everytime I buy a new pair of jeans.
  • Deebautista
    Deebautista Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Choosing to be annoyed about inconsistency in clothing sizes is a little bit petty don't you think? Perhaps a better choice would be to be thrilled about the weight that has been lost. :)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I carry a tape measure with me now. I measure the waistband of the jeans that fit me, and when I go to the store, and don't have time to try on pants (or at Costco) I just measure the waistband to make sure they fit.

You also have to measure the rise, as that will effect the waist measurement, too. I used to work at Ross Dress for Less, and that is how I would shop for pants. The sizes there were all over the board, so a tape measure and a trip to the fitting rooms would help a lot.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I get what the OP is saying. I think some of you are reading more into her statements than she meant. Maybe some of you are just too young to realize the changes in clothing sizes over the decade. To illustrate:

In high school I was 115-120# and wore a size 9, 10, 11 or 12 depending on the cut. My measurements were 36-23-37. Yes, very hour glass.

Now, 36 years later, I currently weigh 177 and I wear a size 10. My waist measurement is 35 inches so an entire foot bigger than it was when I was in high school. I won't get into the other measurements but they are also a lot bigger than my high school measurements.

So, what OP is complaining about is how much sizing has changed over the decades and how this vanity sizing makes people today not realize just how big they are. They wear a 6 or an 8 and think they're tiny but that 6 or an 8 was probably a 14 or so thirty years ago. It's like when people say Marilyn Monroe was fat because she wore a size 12 (or whatever it was). But a size 12 in her era was probably about the same as a size 4 today.

Vanity sizing is crazy!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I get what the OP is saying. I think some of you are reading more into her statements than she meant. Maybe some of you are just too young to realize the changes in clothing sizes over the decade. To illustrate:

In high school I was 115-120# and wore a size 9, 10, 11 or 12 depending on the cut. My measurements were 36-23-37. Yes, very hour glass.

Now, 36 years later, I currently weigh 177 and I wear a size 10. My waist measurement is 35 inches so an entire foot bigger than it was when I was in high school. I won't get into the other measurements but they are also a lot bigger than my high school measurements.

So, what OP is complaining about is how much sizing has changed over the decades and how this vanity sizing makes people today not realize just how big they are. They wear a 6 or an 8 and think they're tiny but that 6 or an 8 was probably a 14 or so thirty years ago. It's like when people say Marilyn Monroe was fat because she wore a size 12 (or whatever it was). But a size 12 in her era was probably about the same as a size 4 today.

Vanity sizing is crazy!

YES! Exactly.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I LOVE American sizes! I'm so much smaller in them! Here in New Zealand we use UK sizing (same as Australian) so our size 10 is your size 6. I love saying I fit a size 4/6 instead of an 8/10 :o)

But I do see what you mean, sizing does change dramatically from store to store sometimes. There are a couple of stores here where I'll fit into a NZ6 (US2) dress - but only a couple!
  • fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My weight has only gone up and up with the years and yet my size has stayed the same! Today I sold an old blouse online- it was only a few dollars but it is at least 10 years old and after I gave it to the woman and saw her body size I realized it would be too small for her. A size 14 from 10 years ago is not the same as a size 14 today.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    It's not fair how you guys make yourselves sound smaller! :P An Australian size 8 is like a US 2. A size 2 sounds so much nicer!! I'd rather say that! haha
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Never trust the label, I used to work for a clothing distributor and they would change size labels to meet the orders. Small became medium, medium became large, large became medium, mediums became small so never knew what size you were getting.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It's not fair how you guys make yourselves sound smaller! :P An Australian size 8 is like a US 2. A size 2 sounds so much nicer!! I'd rather say that! haha

Ohh is it that small? I thought it was a 4. Gee now I'm confused I hate your sizes too!!
  • MidgetGidget
    Options
    This is called Vanity Sizing. Designers are catering to our vanity. When I was young I thought I was huge and wore a size 14 - 16. then I lost lost of weight and finally could fit into a 10. Well, fast forward 25 years and I was about 80 lbs heavier and still in a size 16. Lost 60 lbs, but was still a good 20 lbs heavier than my young size 10 weight, but I still wore size 10. I've gained 30 lbs and now own 3 jeans from different designers in sizes 10, 12 and 14... they all fit, a bit snug.

Yes, it depends on the brand, but mostly, the designers want us to feel good about buying their clothes. I know I feel lots better buying a size 8 or 10 versus a 16. Who wouldn't?
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I've been 5'10" tall since I hit puberty at 12. I was a size 12 and very slender until I finished college when I went up to a 14 and a still thin 150 pounds. I have a big bust and hourglass figure.

In the last 30 years I very slowly gained 35 pounds - 15 in the last 10 years. I've taken 25 pounds of that off since May.

Here's why I am annoyed.

I was a size 14 the whole time I gained that weight. I have been wearing a 14 coming down off that weight loss, even though my clothes seemed to be hanging on me and I could easily slip my pants off my hips without unzipping them. I have refused to buy smaller clothes until I hit a stable goal weight. After reading a bunch of threads talking about people my height talking about their sizes, I gave in to curiousity and took a trip to Goodwill.

I easily slipped into size 10 pants. Size 12 pants fit fine, although they were a tiny bit lose.

I haven't fit into a 10 size I was in grade school! This isn't because I'm so thin now, it's because the people who make my clothes have been sizing them bigger and bigger, lulling me into a false sense of complaisance. And, of course, I lied to myself.

I am definitely not buying any more clothes until I finish losing.

depends on brand/style..and also its possible..especialy if your working out a lot and w/strenth training (weights) n such that your loosing weight "differently' then before and thats why you are fitting into a smaller size!.. for example i can fit into a size of my own pants now that i havent worn in 6yrs.. but when i wore them 6yrs ago i was 15#'s LESSt then now! and now they fit and are lil loose!!! so ya ive lost INCHES/wt diff.. for sure..(and ive been working out every day since mfp lil over 3mo ago.. and w/strenth training also) and .. anyway a size is a size.. if you fit into smaller be happy and get upset at someting worth being upset about, LOL
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options

Ohh is it that small? I thought it was a 4. Gee now I'm confused I hate your sizes too!!

Haha NZ and Aus should be the same. Well Australian sizes generally start at size 2-4 and the US start at 00 doesn't it? But they are the same size, just different numbers, so it's a 4-6 size difference then? It varies but I can fit into a size 2 US dress.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    http://risingfeenix.com/sizing
    http://www.vintageswank.com/sizing.html
    http://www.justsaywhen.com/Vintage-101-Sizing.htm

Shows how sizes have changed since you and I were young.

Keep in mid if you do shop at second hand and vintage stores, the era of the clothing will dictate the fit. Don't go by the labeled size, always try them on.

God this makes me feel fat.... I had 36 inch hips when I was 100 pounds... I'm 5' 6"