calorie intake

Options
I'm getting so fustrated with my self I stick to the 1200 calorie intake a day and I exercise for 60 mins 5 days a week and burn between 500-550 calories and I'm still stuck at 172lbs for a month now. I have only lost 5lbs in 3months am I doing something wrong??

Replies

• Leesa22
    Leesa22 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You could be gaining muscle...and also may not get enough calories, what is funny I was under eating(remember you need more calories if you workout) my friend told me to add a few more calories and poof I started to lose again, then again that is what worked for me.:wink:
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    really I will try it how many do you think I should add. I feel like if I add then I will Gain Weight.
  • JMKelmer
    JMKelmer Posts: 19
    Options
    hey ya, I just read about this, your body goes into starvation mode if under too much. I believe if your net is under 1100 this starts... I read also you may gain a pound while your body transitions back into losing weight. good luck!
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You should be eating your exercise calories too. If not, your body might be thinking that it's "starving" and hold onto everything you're taking in
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Really, wow I did not know that. I will try that thanks.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    You should be eating your exercise calories too. If not, your body might be thinking that it's "starving" and hold onto everything you're taking in
    Agreed!

Since you're daily limit is already set at the minimum you should eat, then you should expect to eat ALL your workout calories because your body needs that fuel to burn otherwise as others have said your body will horde instead of letting go because it's not getting enough.

Also, make sure at drink at least half your body weight in ounces per day. More when you workout or go over on sodium. Excess sodium causes your body to retain water, and 16 ounces of water = 1lb on the scale (it's been said that for every 250-300mg over on sodium you should drink an additional 8 ounce glass).

If you do the same workout all the time, also try changing it up to shock your muscles (they get "lazy" when you do the same thing over and over as they stop getting challenged).

Incorporate all of these and you should start seeing a difference w/in the next 1-2 weeks.
  • Nessc
    Nessc Posts: 137 Member
    Options

If you do the same workout all the time, also try changing it up to shock your muscles (they get "lazy" when you do the same thing over and over as they stop getting challenged).

I agree!!
  • janrobinson
    Options
    Don't worry keep up the work... When I jumped on the weight loss train I was 214...... I wanted to get under 200 I hovered around 198-200 forever and then I hovered 186-190 forever, then I hovered around 180 forever.. Now I'm horvering 170-173.. My goal is 150..... Well forever is what it is when your trying to loose weight. :sad: Pretty soon you will drop and hover again... Just keep at it and it will pay off.
    Best wishes..
  • prrizza425
    prrizza425 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I hear ya girlie! I have been stuck at 201 for three weeks now even though I am sticking to my calories!! People on here gave me the advice to up my calories a bit to "shock" my metabolism into burning fat again. I guess if your are deficit too many calories your body will lower its basal metabolic rate (BMR-the amount of calories your body needs to maintain its current weight) by 30-40%. So a 2000 calorie BMR becomes a 1200 calorie BMR and if you are eating 1200 cals. a day... there's your plateau!

It seems counter-intuitive but I guess it happens. I welcome anyone on here who knows more than me to please correct anything I just said.

Also, remember to keep at it and if you are on here trying then you are way ahead of a lot of people!! If you are eating less than you are burning you WILL lose weight. It is simply energetics and physics.

Also 2: See my post from earlier this week about the same thing at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/84495-what-is-going-on