hollowing out a bagel

Options

Replies

• ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    My mother would kill me for such waste...

Just eat half.
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    Life is waaay too short to hollow out a bagel, eat half and if you still feel guilty then burn a few more cals at the gym.

I have no problems fitting bagel into my daily cal limit without the guilt.
  • sadyel
    sadyel Posts: 250
    Options
    Step 1: hollow out bagel
    Step 2: send to food nutrition lab to have it analzyed
    Step 3: send it to another lab to have the first results verified
    Step 4: eat bagel.

anything else will be completely wrong and will lead to massive weight gain and possibly even armageddon.

hahaaa :')
  • Shaz_74
    Shaz_74 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you just smash the dough down with your thumbs? Hallow for chicken salad, entire yummy bagel.

This is actually a great idea! thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    Those Thomas Bagel Thins make SUCH GOOD sliders ... and egg sammiches... and just about any sammiches.

Also really like Joseph's brand Flat breads with Flax. They're 60 someodd calories and make for great wraps or pizzas. Lots of fiber and protein too. Put some roast beef and cheddar in there with Jack Daniels dijon mustard and you're done. YOU'RE DONE, SON.

I LOVE Joseph's Pitas. They are a staple in my diet!!
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i like this idea, its like a subway but bagel style!! :) id rather have heaps of yummy filling than stodgy bread and carb overload, get in the protein! enough said!
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Jeez guys. Valid question. lol I love scooping out bagels and filling them with things. You get the chewy crust part and fill it with yummy stuff. I like to fill mine with a mix of cucumber, avocado, and a bit of cream cheese.

Generally I weigh them. I would just log like .75 of the bagel for now to be on the safe side and maybe weigh one at home later so you know for the future.
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    There's really only one legitimate reason to hollow out a bagel... so you have more nooks and crannies to stuff cream cheese and bacon into. *drool.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    My bagels come with holes already in them.

And if you glaze them it is a doughnut, even yummier.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, i miss NYC women some days. 98lbs and scooped bagels... good times.

It's not a bagel if you take out the actual bagel...it is a crust. Why waste calories for a crust? Just eat a salad!

obviously you are confusing me with someone else. if i weighed 98 pounds i would not be on this site. oh and i'm originally from massachusetts not new york. i'll assume you were just making a general statement.

thank you to the 2 people that posted legitimate answers.
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    Nice, guys. Clearly she asked "Hey, can everyone *kitten* on me for asking a question? Also, could everyone tell me how they eat and how I should do what they do?"

To the people who suggested weighing before and after, thank you for just answering a question without being judgemental.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Nice, guys. Clearly she asked "Hey, can everyone *kitten* on me for asking a question? Also, could everyone tell me how they eat and how I should do what they do?"

To the people who suggested weighing before and after, thank you for just answering a question without being judgemental.

thank you. :) here it was the day after halloween, i had indulged in candy and was trying to figure out a way to stay somewhat on track so why not take out some of the inside part of the bagel. really it's no different from what a thin bagel is except thin bagels were not available. i'm a huge believer in every little bits helps but according to some i'm wasteful, silly and just downright ridiculous for thinking a little less bread will make a difference. but imo it did because i felt better about myself. i ended up just counting the entire bagel and i went over in my calories and i didn't think anything of it. but DAMN!

yes the scale option was the best option just not at work (no scale available).
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    a) weigh bagel
    b) cut out hole
    c) reweight bagel
    d) new weigh divided by old weight = x%
    e) Subtract x% calories

This, but it would be less wasteful and less effort to get a bagel thin. I like them quite a bit. I don't know why everyone's giving you so much grief. Girlfriend wants to enjoy a bagel with less calories, yo!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

thank you. :) here it was the day after halloween, i had indulged in candy and was trying to figure out a way to stay somewhat on track so why not take out some of the inside part of the bagel. really it's no different from what a thin bagel is except thin bagels were not available. i'm a huge believer in every little bits helps but according to some i'm wasteful, silly and just downright ridiculous for thinking a little less bread will make a difference. but imo it did because i felt better about myself. i ended up just counting the entire bagel and i went over in my calories and i didn't think anything of it. but DAMN!

yes the scale option was the best option just not at work (no scale available).

I don't weigh my food (although I probably should) ... in this case I'd make it easy on myself and log 0.7 or 0.8 of the bagel instead of 1 whole bagel. I like the fact you can do that, makes it easier.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I personally would just record the whole bagel.
    or get a thin bagel.
  • swtdelta
    Options
    I think you guys are missing the point. I, too, ask for my bagels to be hollowed out. When you order out, they will give you the WHOLE thing and it is difficult for me to eat just half of it and throw the other half away. So, I get them to hollow it out. That way, I eat all that I have and I know in my mind that I have saved at least "some" calories.
    I do believe the best way to figure out how many calories I've saved is to weigh it before and after, but who has time for that.

Some of you are just plain rude for mocking and making fun of people for their small ways of trying to save calories...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think you guys are missing the point. I, too, ask for my bagels to be hollowed out. When you order out, they will give you the WHOLE thing and it is difficult for me to eat just half of it and throw the other half away. So, I get them to hollow it out. That way, I eat all that I have and I know in my mind that I have saved at least "some" calories.
    I do believe the best way to figure out how many calories I've saved is to weigh it before and after, but who has time for that.

Some of you are just plain rude for mocking and making fun of people for their small ways of trying to save calories...

Your FIRST post ever on MFP...after having been here for almost TWO YEARS...is to bump an almost THREE MONTH old thread...about HOLLOWING OUT A BAGEL???

That's awesome.

:flowerforyou:

EDIT: because "over" =/= "almost"...(and yes, I'm using a very liberal definition of "almost", but I needed it to fit my 1,2,3 theme).
  • swtdelta
    Options
    From thatsfit.com:
    Get the Scoop
    The average deli bagel packs at least 300 calories -- and that's before you add butter or cream cheese. Hollow out the inside (about a third of the bagel) and you'll downsize by at least 100 calories.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    My bagels come with holes already in them.

Those are called donuts, my friend.
  • swtdelta
    Options

Your FIRST post ever on MFP...after having been here for over TWO YEARS...is to bump an almost THREE MONTH old thread...about HOLLOWING OUT A BAGEL???

That's awesome.

:flowerforyou:

Ha!!! Thanks for noticing. I'm flattered.
    Now bite me!