Birth Control Questions...

Options
sallywilson06
sallywilson06 Posts: 269 Member
Soo.. I have never been on Birth Control before and it's time. However, I have a family history of blood clots. I am wondering if there is anything out there that is safe to take for someone like me. My grandmother died from a blood clot to her heart. I have a Dr.'s appointment about this but just curious if I am wasting my money and time seeing her for this if she is going to tell me no..?

Replies

• toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    Can't answer that question - can only say birth control KILLED my libido. I had no idea *why* I had turned into some old naggy woman who pushed her husband's attempts away all the time....until I got off that blasted thing and found that 18 year old hormonal girl still inside. ;) Birth control WORKS for sure if you are abstaining! (Sorry, not much help, I know.)
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I personally would want to stay away from it if that were my family history. Scary stuff. Good luck on your decision.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Like the Diz said.. libido.. GONE.
    On the plus side.. my skin cleared, my periods were regluar and hardly anything to be bothered by and I had little to no PMS.

But then again, I was a crazy hormonal b!tch so I ditched them as well.
  • sallywilson06
    Options
    My boyfriend just wants me to get on it because yes we are not ready to have children. I told him about my medical history issue and he said it was fine but to still look into it to see if there are any safe alternatives just to be extra precautionary. I guess looking can't hurt right?
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    Options
    My boyfriend just wants me to get on it because yes we are not ready to have children. I told him about my medical history issue and he said it was fine but to still look into it to see if there are any safe alternatives just to be extra precautionary. I guess looking can't hurt right?

Just talk to the doc. Warning labels are really to keep them safe from lawsuits... I don't think that you would have anything major to worry about.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    Options

Or... you could just use condoms.. or take it in the booty. Just sayin. LOL
  • sallywilson06
    Options
    We do use condoms.. Always.. Just want some extra precautions..lol
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    We used condoms every time and were extra "safe" and now we have a 7 month.... Just sayin.... I can't use hormonal birth control because of medical reasons. So after our daughter, I had to find a non-hormonal route.

I use a non-hormonal IUD, Paragaurd, and I absolutely love it! I am not sure if it has the same risks of blood clots as the hormonal ones.... I do know I don't have the crazy mood swings and my libido is higher than ever.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Well you definitly better not get the patch because the blood clot risk is a lot higher on it, my pharmacist tried to talk me out of it and go to pills because of the risk. I am a forgetful person so the patch was a better option for me. If you do get on birth control pills make sure you set an alarm and take it at the same time every day or you risk pregnancy. Good luck!!

Oh yeah and it definitely does mess with your libido... :(
  • sallywilson06
    Options
    Can you get a non hormonal IUD if you have never been pregnant before?
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If your not ready to get pregnant, some type of birth control pill/iud would be best, but obviously your doctor will be able to recommend what he feels is best for you.

I used the same brand for YEARS... then I started getting headaches...
    tried another kind, I was so *****y
    tried another insertable ring type ... my bf said things 'changed' down there... and not for the better
    tried one more pill- and all i had to do was wipe after going pee and my girl parts would tear.

I have decided to opt of of BC..which I was only using to regulate periods (my bf is snipped).

It's not for everyone, and it may take up to a year to find the 'right one'.

Also, keep in mind you wont take your first pill and be protected, it can take up to 3 months for your body to adjust.

Best of luck!!
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    biggest libido killer...being pregnant...get something!!! condoms are not 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • PBsMommy
    Options

Depends on the doctor you go to... I was told by mine they don't recommend it for women who haven't been pregnant before.

One of my firends uses a different doctor. She doesn't have kids and she has a Paraguard as well. The only side effect she has that I do not, is a heavier flow on the first two days.
  • PBsMommy
    Options
    biggest libido killer...being pregnant...get something!!! condoms are not 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being pregnant was the opposite for me. I believe the words "Give it to me or I'm taking it" came out quite a few times during pregnancy.:laugh:
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Or... you could just use condoms.. or take it in the booty. Just sayin. LOL

hahaha! I spit out my water reading this lol!
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    I hear this alot. I recommend speaking with your provider (doc or nurse practioner). Given your history you might want to inquire about depo or implanon. If you've never been pregnant, a provider may not want to place an IUD, still you can inquire. The issue with weight gain and depo is very variable. Some women tolerate it just fine, others do not. What will definitely make you gain weight is being pregnant. Good luck and God bless.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

I was in the hospital this summer for blood clots, legs and lungs. First time ever that happened and docs have said it's probably the birth control pills I had just re-started a few months prior. I have since had the Mirena IUD put in. Different hormones, not a risk for clotting. And to answer your question, I have never been pregnant either. Now I will say I've heard it's hurts a little more when being put in if you haven't had any children. Not gonna lie, it hurt. But only for a short period, and now I'm really glad I did it.
  • Starzy696
    Starzy696 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I actually have Nexaplon which is an implant that goes in my arm. I had to be off birth control pills because of clots and high stroke risk (I have lost three people in my family to strokes). I hardly notice it's there and it's good for three years.
  • BuckeyeBoi
    BuckeyeBoi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You sweet girl doing it because your bf wants you too..... Well a simple condom can suffice? Maybe it s his job to help hmmm? Jus saying
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your Dr for sure. I'm on birth control, have been for years. Between that and my anxiety medication, not sure which killed my sex drive more, but at least I'm not pregnant yet! :smile: good luck!!