chick peas... whats your fav recipe?

Options
Aross83
Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
Hi All,
I have a bunch of chickpeas i want to use up. please tell me some of your favorite ways to eat them..
i usually make a chickpea salad.. or brown rice with chickpeas..

thanks

Replies

12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Try curried chickpeas with a little cumin added . Great with brown rice. Enjoy!
  • Aross83
    Options
    i found this recipe i am going to try at some point
    fennelchickpeas.jpg

Couscous With Chickpeas, Fennel, and Citrus
    Serves 2-4

1 large fennel bulb with fronds
    3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 1/2 cups (or 1 15-ounce can) cooked and drained chickpeas
    10 Kalamata olives, halved and pitted
    Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
    Zest and juice of 1 orange
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup instant couscous

Trim fennel and cut into 1/4-inch thick wedges. Reserve fronds for garnish.

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and caramelized, about 10-15 minutes. Add coriander, chickpeas, olives, and lemon juice to pan and stir to combine. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, juice the orange into a liquid measuring cup and top off with water to make 1 1/2 cups of liquid. Add liquid to a small saucepan along with 1 tablespoon olive oil, orange zest, lemon zest, and salt. Bring to a boil and stir in couscous. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand for at least 5 minutes.

To serve, fluff couscous grains with a fork and spread on a dish. Spoon chickpeas and fennel over couscous and garnish with fennel fronds.
  • Aross83
    Options
    I found this one too..
    Chickpeachorizosoup.jpg

Chickpea and Chorizo Soup
    makes about 2 quarts

12 ounces chorizo sausage
    1 large white onion, chopped and thinly sliced
    4 stalks of celery, chopped
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespons fresh thyme, minced
    1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1 can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
    4 cups chicken broth
    1/2 cup white wine
    1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Salt and pepper

Chop or crumble the chorizo into bite-size pieces. Film a heavy pan lightly with olive oil and put over medium-high heat. Cook the chorizo for about five minutes or until it starts browning and and smoking. Lift out and drain on a plate lined with paper towels.

Pour a little more olive oil into the pan and turn the heat to medium. Add the onions and celery and cook for about ten minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for another couple minutes, or until golden and fragrant. Add the chorizo back in, along with the chickpeas and beans. Cook all together for a minute, stirring, until the beans are well coated with the onions and oil.

Add the broth and white wine and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and add the parsley and olive oil. Simmer for about half an hour, or until slightly reduced. Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This isn't chickpea dominated, but they make an unusual (and successful) addition to this delicious chilli. If you make this with extra lean mince too, it is really guilt free and great served on its own with a dollop of half fat creme fraiche or, if you have more calories to spare, some rice or jacket potato:
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/chilli-con-carne
  • Aross83
    Options
    This isn't chickpea dominated, but they make an unusual (and successful) addition to this delicious chilli. If you make this with extra lean mince too, it is really guilt free and great served on its own with a dollop of half fat creme fraiche or, if you have more calories to spare, some rice or jacket potato:
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/chilli-con-carne

that looks good! thank you!
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it but I found a recipe on pinterest for roasting chickpea's in some spices. They're crunchy and look like a great snack & alternative to chips with a sandwich.
  • Aross83
    Options
    yeah i roast them all the time.. they are yummy like that..
  • murmuration
    murmuration Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favourites, from one of my favourite recipe websites: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/lemony-chickpea-stirfry-recipe.html

There are other chickpea recipes on there. The panfried chickpea salad looks yum.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I usually used canned. Rinse and saute in a pan with a little oil and garlic, maybe 7-9 minutes until they start to dry out a little, sprinke with a touch of salt and paprika, my fave is smoked paprika. Awesome side dish, my 7 yo gobbles these up.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I like to roast them in the oven with a little olive oil and salt. They get really crunchy, kind of like corn nuts. :)
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    you can make hummus with them...I dont have the recipe but you can google it
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    i've only had them in a green salad or in chili
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com - absolutely love this chick!

I made these last Easter and took them to a dinner (told no one what they were) and they were loved by most. Not all folks loved them because they are very sweet - I LOVED THEM!

Genius Chocolate-Chip Blondies

(makes 15-20 squares)
    ■1 1/2 cups chickpeas or white beans (1 can, drained and rinsed) (250g after draining)
    ■3/4 tsp baking powder
    ■1/8 tsp baking soda
    ■level 1/4 tsp salt
    ■3/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar (See note below, for substitutions)
    ■2 tsp vanilla extract
    ■1/4 cup ground flax or quick oats (20g)
    ■1/4 cup peanut butter (or other fat source) (see nutrition link below, for lower-cal options)
    ■optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips (Not “optional” if you’re CCK!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend all ingredients (except chips) until very smooth in a food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, and scoop into a greased (or tinfoil-lined) 8×8 pan. Optional: for “prettiness” you can stick some chocolate chips on top of the batter as well. Bake for around 30 minutes. They’ll look a little undercooked when you take them out, but they firm up as they cool, and you don’t want them to get hard.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I eat them just rinsed as a protein pow! Put them on salads and add to anything I like lots. Mash them and use instead of mayo. Oh the fun you can have with a garbanzo bean - I even like saying it!
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Google "roasted Chickpeas" you can put any kind of spice on them....they make a crunchy and filling treat and so much better for you than chips!
  • trimblt
    Options
    Rinse them, put them in a bowl and add 2 tbsp of oil, a pinch of salt and a pinch of Cyaenne spice (or more if you like spice.). Put them on a cookie sheet and roast them in the oven at 400 for about 45 minutes. Shaking them up about three times during them cooking. Cool and enjoy!
  • Aross83
    Options
    thanks! i do roast them all the time. just wanted to see what other people make with them..
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    love chick peas... bump for later.