Just curious... and maybe a suggestion...

Options
MireyGal76
MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
I've been looking at people's monikers / screen names and have noticed...

On any given day, you can find numerous people using the words "fat", "big", "pudgy", or "flabby" in their names... A lot of people put themselves down in their screen name, and I am curious why we do this?

How is it that we stay motivated by calling ourselves down? As your friend... how am I supposed to feel good calling you by your "name"? (Though I do like learning your first names.)

We need to focus on the prize, not on our starting point. Our names should inspire, not devalue us. We are awesome! We aren't where we were, we are where we are going!

May I make a suggestion? If you have named yourself in this fashion, consider rethinking it... find an attribute you are proud of, or something that is meaningful to you, and focus on that.

Part of our success lies in how we view ourselves... every time we login - we make a statement. Choose yours wisely!

Just a thought... :-D

Negative+self-talk+.jpeg

Replies

• prairiedawg2014
    Options
    you are sooo right! i totally agree. thx for posting this!
  • ElleM0
    ElleM0 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    WOW.... very good post Mirey!!

It's true.. how hard is it to motivate someone who will constantly see PUDGYgirl101 or FLABBYguy100? - VERY HARD

Hmm.. food for thought!!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Im hte bigCB, but it aint because of my waste

lol
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    First... that pic is awesome :)

A lot of the 'demeaning' names I see are optimistic, but for a logical explanation of the ones that aren't... to me it's that self-kick-to-the-butt that some people need. Different people are motivated differently. I, for example, can't be motivated by people saying "c'mon, you can do this!", what motivates me is when people are saying "just give up already you fat***, you can't do it, you'll never do it". The need to prove people wrong is what drives me, and maybe that's the same for other people.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Maybe they plan to use it as a progress marker? Change their name with each milestone.

HeartFailureDave
    ObeseDave
    FatDave
    WobblyDave
    AverageDave
    TonedUpDave
    SkinnyDave
    SkeletonDave

and so on.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I see that alot also but I've also said those things to myself. I've really try to not do that anymore. When you've said those kinds of things to yourself most of your life and finally realize what you are doing sometimes I slip.....BUT....overall if I do slip I immediately say stop that and tell myself something positive. I really makes for a better day and how I feel about myself. I agree STOP....telling yourself that stuff.................you wouldn't tell that to a friend. YOU should be the best friend to yourself. Thanks for the post.
  • careyannal
    Options
    It sounds to me like a defense mechanism. When people call themselves fat, or make fun of themselves, its a defense mechanism so that they can point out the obvious before someone else does.

I agree with you though. Isn't the saying, IF WE CAN'T LOVE OURSELVES HOW WILL ANYONE ELSE LOVE US.
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS!!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I know, imagine if someone wanted her friends to call her "icky". Good lord.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    14vrxu8.jpg
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    hmmm...
  • smboston
    Options
    Maybe they plan to use it as a progress marker? Change their name with each milestone.

HeartFailureDave
    ObeseDave
    FatDave
    WobblyDave
    AverageDave
    TonedUpDave
    SkinnyDave
    SkeletonDave

and so on.

That made me spit out my drink all over my monitor!
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at people's monikers / screen names and have noticed...

On any given day, you can find numerous people using the words "fat", "big", "pudgy", or "flabby" in their names... A lot of people put themselves down in their screen name, and I am curious why we do this?

How is it that we stay motivated by calling ourselves down? As your friend... how am I supposed to feel good calling you by your "name"? (Though I do like learning your first names.)

We need to focus on the prize, not on our starting point. Our names should inspire, not devalue us. We are awesome! We aren't where we were, we are where we are going!have i told you today how amazing you are? wait, i did! ha xo

May I make a suggestion? If you have named yourself in this fashion, consider rethinking it... find an attribute you are proud of, or something that is meaningful to you, and focus on that.

Part of our success lies in how we view ourselves... every time we login - we make a statement. Choose yours wisely!

Just a thought... :-D

Negative+self-talk+.jpeg
  • MireyGal76
    Options

HeartFailureDave
    ObeseDave
    FatDave
    WobblyDave
    AverageDave
    TonedUpDave
    SkinnyDave
    SkeletonDave

and so on.

That made me spit out my drink all over my monitor!

but we can only change once... unless we re-register every other milestone...
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I just like dinosaurs.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    hmmm...

@sh1tsrainbows... I totally LOVE your name!!!
  • soulundefined
    Options
    What a fabulous post and loved the picture underneath.. I think a lot of people have listened to the voice and the voices around them a little too long. Sometimes its good to remember that there are positive ones out there as well. It is who we choose to listen to in that moment. Just like the choices we make with food and companions. So here is to the journey... your journey... be blessed and be a blessing:flowerforyou:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options

HeartFailureDave
    ObeseDave
    FatDave
    WobblyDave
    AverageDave
    TonedUpDave
    SkinnyDave
    SkeletonDave

and so on.

lol this!
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Im hte bigCB, but it aint because of my waste

lol

You have large turds? Or, did you mean "waist"?
  • Crookey21
    Crookey21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    now that i think about it...i rarely even call myself fat...im always "big".