Low Carb vs Low Fat?

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I have no issue with people who want to low carb, but how about you provide links to actual studies that show a metabolic advantage to low carb dieting when calories and protein are held constant?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22735432
    CONCLUSION:

Among overweight and obese young adults compared with pre-weight-loss energy expenditure, isocaloric feeding following 10% to 15% weight loss resulted in decreases in REE and TEE that were greatest with the low-fat diet, intermediate with the low-glycemic index diet, and least with the very low-carbohydrate diet.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15598683 (this one is funny, they blame the non low carb group for not reporting properly)

These results confirm that short-term weight loss is greater in obese women on a low-carbohydrate diet than in those on a low-fat diet even when reported food intake is similar. The differential weight loss is not explained by differences in REE, TEF, or physical activity and likely reflects underreporting of food consumption by the low-fat dieters.

Your turn, do your own research. I have 20 of these articles bookmarked.

Thank you, I'll revisit these. I've done my own research by the way, just for the record, and the majority of it does not show a metaoblic advantage when you examine closely.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I understand, I really just hate the anti carb vitriol. The research is out there. There is nothing wrong with the diet but still the hate flows.

I love that people find a way to be healthier and it doesn't matter what road they choose. But to be made fun of for a valid choice is my issue.

And kick *kitten* arms btw. Hope mine start to look that good in 40 lbs.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I understand, I really just hate the anti carb vitriol. The research is out there. There is nothing wrong with the diet but still the hate flows.

I love that people find a way to be healthier and it doesn't matter what road they choose. But to be made fun of for a valid choice is my issue.

If anyone is literally "making fun" of you for eating low carb and trying to be healtheir then they've got issues. Not being obese will improve your health whether you paleo, or low carb, or IIFYM of whatever the hell path you choose.

That being said I do still believe there is merit to discussing method and I also believe that misinformation, on any side of things, isn't good.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I have no issue with people who want to low carb, but how about you provide links to actual studies that show a metabolic advantage to low carb dieting when calories and protein are held constant?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22735432

The above is interesting but protein intake on the low CHO diet is significantly higher than the other two treatments. For others reading this who may be part of Alan's research review, he does a thorough analysis of this in the May 2012 issue of AARR.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I've been (really) low carb for 6 months and it's been great for resetting my appetite and 'sweet tooth'.

I did my first 3 months on MFP on Low Fat and really struggled, probably due to my metabolism being out of whack and being hungry all the time.

Despite really wanting to believe otherwise, I can't see a significant metabolic advantage in continuing to low carb as I move into maintenance.

So I'm moving to a more 'balanced' plan for variety but will still focus on whole foods and keeping the processed stuff and sugars low.

I guess I see it as being 'carb aware' now.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Question... If what you are doing is working, why do you want to change it?

^^^^This! Faster isn't better and changing methods won't nessesarily get you faster weight loss.
  • mmapags
    Options
    fat is an essential nutrient
    carbohydrate is not
    people lose weight an all sorts of diets, just by eating less calories.
    take that fwiw

^^^ And this. There is a lot of middle ground between low carb and low fat. First low fat can have some negative heatlh consequences because as Wellbert days, it is an essential nutrient. Low carb is a viable methodology if you are good with the restictiveness. Some are, some aren't. Or you could just set reasonable calorie goals and set your macro with the priority on protien then fats then carbs with whats left. Multiple roads will take you there. Probably not muchg faster but speed would not be mmy priority if I were you.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a thin person who follows a low fat diet? Low carb is the way to go!!
  • MamaWalkingBear
    MamaWalkingBear Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any issues with Cholesterol then, in the short term, it should not be too much of a problem. It might be better if you switch some of the protein to beans and lentils, lower in fat and high in protein, but there are more carbs than meat. The fiber helps off set that as well thou. If you have insurance and access to a dietician, you might consider a consultation. The ones I've gone to have help tremendously.

My goal breakdown for Protein/Carbs/Fat is 40/40/20. I don't always make it to the 20% goal for fat, but that's okay.

Also, adding healthy fats to the diet, like olive oil in salad dressings, help keep your skin soft, and has other benefits.

Good Luck!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Calories in Calories out right! Do what works for you ... but I'm going to keep an eye on this post it's gonna get crazy

Sorry, it is not as simple as calories in, calories out. If it were, I would have never gained weight in the first place.

OP: unless you are eating a lot of canola oil and other vegetable / seed oils the fat is not unhealthy.

Saturated and Monosaturated fats are natural occurring and do NOT contribute to heart disease or high cholesterol. The whole low fat myth was an outright lie and the data was cherry picked to support their theory to lead up to what we see today. Major health issues and obesity. This didn't happen on accident with our society.

So the laws of thermodynamics do not apply to you?

<Sigh>

As quoted by a health professional:
    "As a health professional, I owe it to you to give you the truth! (and, unfortunately, I am finding that the “mainstream” media isn’t helping!)

And the truth is this… basing weight loss, let alone good health, on the “Calorie In/Calorie Out” Myth supposedly explained by the “Law of Thermodynamics” is just plain WRONG!
    I mean, it is beyond wrong, it is IDIOTIC! And, it is DANGEROUS."

Trying to use the “Laws of Thermodynamics” to explain human biological functions is pure folly. Scientific laws only apply to laboratory situations where variables are controlled and systems are closed off from all other systems.

The human body is NOT a closed system and our lives DO NOT take place in laboratories. To put it simply, calories are units of heat, not measures of potency.

ALSO…

When it comes to attaining optimal health and weight loss, there are a number of variables that are just NOT the same from person to person.
    Remember, we are not inanimate objects and we are not living in a closed system.

Here is a short list of examples of the variables that create challenges for the “calorie in/calorie out” myth:

First, we are each unique. You may have heard this called; biochemical individuality.

NATURE

■Genetics
    What is your ancestry? Are you from a cold climate or warm climate? How does your body handle starchy carbohydrates? How does your body handle fatty proteins? How do you do with the sun? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Secondly, physiologically, how have we handled our environment and time.

NURTURE

■Sleep (Are you allowing your body to recover?)
    ■Toxins (Tobacco, Alcohol, Sugar, Artificial Sweeteners)
    ■Food Sensitivities (Gluten, Soy, Dairy, etc.)
    ■Medications (Over The Counter, Prescription)
    ■Stress (Chronic and Acute)
    ■Quality of Health (Recent Illnesses, Immune System Health, Degenerative Disease, etc.)
    ■Hormonal Health (Insulin, Cortisol, Glucagon, Leptin, etc.)
    ■Age (Menopause, Andropause, Accelerated Aging)
    ■Past Caloric Restriction History (Dieting, Bulimia, Anorexia, etc.)
    You starting to get the point?

Because of this: A Calorie is NOT a Calorie!

To put all of the onus on the individual of losing or gaining weight because of the “Law of Thermodynamics” just doesn’t hold up. Your health and fitness expert may think they sound smart by pushing the “calorie in/calorie out” hogwash on you, but to me, it is just a sign of ignorance and laziness.

This ignorance and laziness concerning the “calorie in/calorie out” myth has only gotten worse with all of the “weight loss” reality shows. TRUST ME.

It is an utter embarrassment that personal trainers are simplifying weight loss down to creating a caloric deficit by starving their clients and training them like animals!

What ever happened to Safe? Effective? Long Term? Sustainable? I don’t know either.

But as you can see, if the trainer’s client isn’t successful, the failure is all on the client for not complying. Not on the trainer for being open to a slowed metabolism or improper diet/workout routine. NICE.

So, there you have it, a couple more reasons whyt “The Healthy Omnivore” has some real issues/challenges with the “Calorie In/Calorie Out” Myth.

Thanks for reading the first post of three concerning attaining optimal health and proper weight loss vs. The “Calorie In/Calorie Out” Myth.

If you have any questions or comments on the “Law of Thermodynamics” and/or the “Calorie In/Calorie Out” Myth, I would love to read them.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Moderation = excuse

This sentiment = dumb
  • mmapags
    Options
    Calories in Calories out right! Do what works for you ... but I'm going to keep an eye on this post it's gonna get crazy

Sorry, it is not as simple as calories in, calories out. If it were, I would have never gained weight in the first place.

OP: unless you are eating a lot of canola oil and other vegetable / seed oils the fat is not unhealthy.

Saturated and Monosaturated fats are natural occurring and do NOT contribute to heart disease or high cholesterol. The whole low fat myth was an outright lie and the data was cherry picked to support their theory to lead up to what we see today. Major health issues and obesity. This didn't happen on accident with our society.

<Sigh>

"As a health professional, I owe it to you to give you the truth! (and, unfortunately, I am finding that the “mainstream” media isn’t helping!)

And the truth is this… basing weight loss, let alone good health, on the “Calorie In/Calorie Out” Myth supposedly explained by the “Law of Thermodynamics” is just plain WRONG!

Trying to use the “Laws of Thermodynamics” to explain human biological functions is pure folly. Scientific laws only apply to laboratory situations where variables are controlled and systems are closed off from all other systems.

The human body is NOT a closed system and our lives DO NOT take place in laboratories. To put it simply, calories are units of heat, not measures of potency.

ALSO…

When it comes to attaining optimal health and weight loss, there are a number of variables that are just NOT the same from person to person.
    Remember, we are not inanimate objects and we are not living in a closed system.

Here is a short list of examples of the variables that create challenges for the “calorie in/calorie out” myth:

First, we are each unique. You may have heard this called; biochemical individuality.

NATURE

■Genetics
    What is your ancestry? Are you from a cold climate or warm climate? How does your body handle starchy carbohydrates? How does your body handle fatty proteins? How do you do with the sun? Etc. Etc. Etc.

NURTURE

■Quality of Health (Recent Illnesses, Immune System Health, Degenerative Disease, etc.)

To put all of the onus on the individual of losing or gaining weight because of the “Law of Thermodynamics” just doesn’t hold up. Your health and fitness expert may think they sound smart by pushing the “calorie in/calorie out” hogwash on you, but to me, it is just a sign of ignorance and laziness.

This ignorance and laziness concerning the “calorie in/calorie out” myth has only gotten worse with all of the “weight loss” reality shows. TRUST ME.

It is an utter embarrassment that personal trainers are simplifying weight loss down to creating a caloric deficit by starving their clients and training them like animals!

What ever happened to Safe? Effective? Long Term? Sustainable? I don’t know either.

But as you can see, if the trainer’s client isn’t successful, the failure is all on the client for not complying. Not on the trainer for being open to a slowed metabolism or improper diet/workout routine. NICE.

So, there you have it, a couple more reasons whyt “The Healthy Omnivore” has some real issues/challenges with the “Calorie In/Calorie Out” Myth.

Thanks for reading the first post of three concerning attaining optimal health and proper weight loss vs. The “Calorie In/Calorie Out” Myth.

If you have any questions or comments on the “Law of Thermodynamics” and/or the “Calorie In/Calorie Out” Myth, I would love to read them.

And who might this "health professional" be?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a thin person who follows a low fat diet? Low carb is the way to go!!

Yes I have and their skin is dry, flaky and the texture is awful. Low fat eaters tend to have more wrinkles and look older too.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Low carb is about stable blood sugar and insulin. Fats can be healthy, if you choose the right ones. Some Vitamins are more easily absorbed in higher fat foods.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

<Sigh>

ALSO…

NATURE

■Genetics

NURTURE

*sigh* - see, I can do it too....

Please could you let us know who this 'health professional' is? You are using a random person's rant with no citations or even explanations to speak of to try to support the fact that the law of thermodynamics does not work........

ETA - none of the examples negates the law of thermodynamics by the way - they explain why one of the variables may be different (energy out) - but its still energy out less energy in.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Moderation = excuse

excuse for what exactly?
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the amazing feedback guys! I am a VERY extreme/all or nothing person.. If you tell me I can have "some" pasta, I will eat all of it.. lol So for me, it's very important to set rules and boundaries and not allow myself to have "everything I want". Its not that I think I'm "different" physically or biologically, it's that I know my strength and weaknesses mentally and emotionally and the whole everything in moderation thing does NOT work for me.. I wish it did! hehe :)

OP, I was just wondering if you have tried to figure out why you are like this? It's all well and good to use a restrictive 'diet' to loes weight, but it's not going to last. Eventually you are going to have to go back to real life and that weight will come back on. You may want to give some thought into figuring out what causes you to have to have those types of boundries. Until you discover the root cause of why you have to restrict yourself, you are going to end up yo-yoing for a long time.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So I have been doing a low carb/high protein diet and have gotten some pretty awesome results from it. Recently, I've had a lot of people mention that low fat is "healthier" due to the amount of fats in many meats... Thoughts?

Both low carb and low fat are silly. Carbs and fats are two of the three main nutrients. I prefer a balanced diet with each of the three present at each meal.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Moderation = excuse

An excuse for what?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I've seen MANY thin people eating up the carbs!