Net Calories....Confusion

Options
Hi Everyone!

As the title says, I get confused by this net calories thing. I especially like the feature to be able to view your weekly average calories but it only gives me net calories. Is there a way to see weekly Calories eaten instead of net? Net is too confusing to me. Or maybe I should just NOT use the exercise journal of this website?

I'm trying to figure out how to use this. Help!

Replies

• walknsunshine
    walknsunshine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but at the bottom of the page where we log our food, there is a VIEW FULL REPORT that can tell you exactly what you've eaten and the calories from however long you wish: a week, a few days, to months at a time. Hope this is what you were looking for.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Your net calories is what you should be at after exercise. If you are not working out, then your net and allowance will be the same. If you notice if you have your cals set to net amount, when you work out, it will up your calories to include the exercise. so if your calories are set at 1500 and you burn 400, it will tell you to eat 1900 and if you do your net will then be 1500. If using MFP calculations, they do not add in exercise, that is why you put it in.

If someone eats 1500 and burns the 400 cals without eating exercise cals back, it means your net is really only 1100 then, not 1500. The net is the lowest you should be at.

The only time you are not supposed to eat back exercise cals is if you have your calories set at a decrease from your TDEE. If using BMR and TDEE to calculate your cal allowance, the TDEE (total daily exercise expenditure) already includes exercise, so you would not eat them back.

Let me know if you have any other questions!! hope this helps :)
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I tried it but it didn't give me a weekly calorie total.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Also, the report does give you the amount of cals you ate in food for the amount of days to put in, so you would just have to add up the totals for each day to get the full weeks amount. with the report there is only one calorie number on there and that is what you consumed in a day, doesn't matter net or not, it is the amount of cals in the food you put in your diary.

Hope this helps!
  • grammysboy
    grammysboy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you can find the report you're looking for on the phone app, but if you go online you can configure the reports to show calories consumed for the last 7 days, or 30 or 90 days. There are lots of reports you can run from the on-line version and it will sync with your phone to show your daily info as well. The computer people would say the on-line version is much more "robust" than the phone app versions.

Hope that helps.