Question About Unsupportive "Friends"

Options
2»

Replies

• Tinkerbell1369
    Tinkerbell1369 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Seems like a lot of energy exerted on something that doesn’t really matter. Spend that 30 minutes working out or cooking a healthy delicious meal. If you are adding lots of friends, perhaps you just need to cut back and let your friend list grow organically. I don’t have many, but I interact with many of them and there are a few I even text, call, meet for dinner, have drinks with, etc. Some people don’t have the time to spend stroking the ego of every person on their friend list. When I see someone get a good workout in or post something worthy of encouragement, I try to post up, but I rarely have the time to hit the “show more” button at the bottom and catch up on every post & reply to them. Full time career, 11 hours of college classes, maintaining my household, getting in my workouts, having social time, down time, catch up on the DVR time….yea, I can’t even keep up with the 23 people on my list.

I know you are trying to be helpful, but your comment clearly shows that you are making assumptions about me. Let me clarify things so you actually know some facts. I do cook a healthy meal every night In fact I usually cook 2, one for my father and then home to cook one for my husband and myself and after I pack healthy lunches for the next day. I also work out every day and work a full time job. I leave my house every morning at 8 am and usually do not get home to cook our meals until about 8 pm. My time on the computer is for me to relax after a long day. I do not go out and just add friends to see how many I can get. I have only requested perhaps 2 friends since I started MFP, but I never refuse friendship to someone who requests it. My friends list is probably as organic as it gets. We all need help through this process and I do not have it in my heart to refuse someone who is reaching out to me. If you read, it was about whether or not to have the courtesy to let people know why I am deleting them. I do not expect an ego stroke, but I do take the time to encourage people and as I said, at least one comment a month would be nice.

To Mr. DVR and the others who say the 45 min is wasted,

Your down time is your DVR and visiting with friends?
    Well my dear friend uses MFP to visit with her friends and probably doesn't watch much on DVR so what is the differance between your down time and hers?
    Her 45 min to do what she wants is spent messaging people, encouraging them, getting advice and support. Instead of spending 45 min wth one or two friends she touches the lives of 15, 20 or more.
    How many of you who say she is wasting time "visit" on facebook or chat, texting ect.
    I took about 6 months off and she didn't delete me (By the way THANKS for that) and it was nice to log back on and have her welcome me back
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Why bother? Focus more on your personal goals and what you want to achieve and not on someone who hasn't been supportive in the last 30 days. I offer a lot of encouragement and support to my friends and I have a busy schedule. I at least make an effort once a week to see how they are doing and keep them motivated. My rule of thumb is if they have not logged in after 15-20 days they are off my list.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    People add me all the time. I don't find it my personal responsibility to stroke their ego and or comment/encourage unless I feel it necessary. I will comment on people's statuses when I find it interesting and I do look at almost everyone diary- but, I personally didn't add them, they added me. So if they wanted to unfriend me- then who cares?

I think sending a message like "Well im unfriending you because you're mean and never support me" is a little ridiculous. Take them off your list and let that be that. Or alternatively, don't add friends unless they request you. :)

Just my 2 cents.

Also, just saying- this journey is about you. You are doing this for yourself. You make all of your own decisions. If anything adding friends should just be a way to connect and share with some people with similar goals and mindsets. It isn't like someone signs up to be your personal counselor when they add you on a social networking type site.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I think that if they haven't taken the time to comment or post at all, they're probably not going to be that affected by knowing why you're deleting them. The email would probably be more for your sake than theirs.

I agree with this. 100%.
  • lynnacuff
    Options
    i wouldnt delete, most times not a big poster myself if i need help or am feeling overwhelmed i will ask and to everyone that responds thank you.
  • rizzaG
    rizzaG Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm really glad my MFP friends don't expect me to perform. Some days it's all I can do to get on and log my calories and workouts for the day and answer a few questions, let alone keep up with everyone's activities.

U kidding me? FACT: just looking at your pic is more than enough motivation for me, you need not have to say anything haha!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Seems like a lot of energy exerted on something that doesn’t really matter. Spend that 30 minutes working out or cooking a healthy delicious meal. If you are adding lots of friends, perhaps you just need to cut back and let your friend list grow organically. I don’t have many, but I interact with many of them and there are a few I even text, call, meet for dinner, have drinks with, etc. Some people don’t have the time to spend stroking the ego of every person on their friend list. When I see someone get a good workout in or post something worthy of encouragement, I try to post up, but I rarely have the time to hit the “show more” button at the bottom and catch up on every post & reply to them. Full time career, 11 hours of college classes, maintaining my household, getting in my workouts, having social time, down time, catch up on the DVR time….yea, I can’t even keep up with the 23 people on my list.

I know you are trying to be helpful, but your comment clearly shows that you are making assumptions about me. Let me clarify things so you actually know some facts. I do cook a healthy meal every night In fact I usually cook 2, one for my father and then home to cook one for my husband and myself and after I pack healthy lunches for the next day. I also work out every day and work a full time job. I leave my house every morning at 8 am and usually do not get home to cook our meals until about 8 pm. My time on the computer is for me to relax after a long day. I do not go out and just add friends to see how many I can get. I have only requested perhaps 2 friends since I started MFP, but I never refuse friendship to someone who requests it. My friends list is probably as organic as it gets. We all need help through this process and I do not have it in my heart to refuse someone who is reaching out to me. If you read, it was about whether or not to have the courtesy to let people know why I am deleting them. I do not expect an ego stroke, but I do take the time to encourage people and as I said, at least one comment a month would be nice.

To Mr. DVR and the others who say the 45 min is wasted,

Your down time is your DVR and visiting with friends?
    Well my dear friend uses MFP to visit with her friends and probably doesn't watch much on DVR so what is the differance between your down time and hers?
    Her 45 min to do what she wants is spent messaging people, encouraging them, getting advice and support. Instead of spending 45 min wth one or two friends she touches the lives of 15, 20 or more.
    How many of you who say she is wasting time "visit" on facebook or chat, texting ect.
    I took about 6 months off and she didn't delete me (By the way THANKS for that) and it was nice to log back on and have her welcome me back

Well said!!
  • lorax419
    lorax419 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You are one of the most encouraging and supportive people I have on my list. I understand what you mean though. I wouldn't send them a message, just delete. You are doing a great job!