DOING THE SHAMROCK SHAKE

Options
sdwelk11
sdwelk11 Posts: 825
HELP!! Shamrock shakes from mcdonalds are my weakness!! Anybody have a healthier version that I can try??

Replies

• Hopeful4757
    Hopeful4757 Posts: 138
    Options
    Good for you for trying the healthier route. Don't be like me. I've had two this year - but no more! :cry:
  • jdejre_k
    jdejre_k Posts: 54
    Options
    Hello!

Hungry Girl has a healthier swap at:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=1698

Enjoy!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I don't have a replacement, but I've got this about a small:

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 11.3 fl.oz (Small)
    Amount per Serving
    Calories 416
    Calories from Fat 88

Total Fat 9.8g 15%
    Saturated Fat 6g 30%
    Trans Fat 0.8g
    Cholesterol 38mg 13%
    Sodium 135mg 6%
    Total Carbohydrate 72.4g 24%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 61.5g
    Protein 9.4g 19%
    Est. Percent of Calories from:
    Fat 21.2%
    Carbs 69.6%
    Protein 9.0%

Maybe print it out and post it on your visor so whenever you're in the car, you look at that and change your mind. (I mean, 70% of your daily carbs?! Is it worth it??)

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It's not exactly the same, but:

2 cups vanilla frozen yogurt
    1 1/4 cups skim milk
    1/4 teaspoon mint extract
    8 drops green food coloring

Blend and enjoy, serves 2.

Nutrition:

Approximately:

282 calories
    8.2 g fat
    204 mg sodium
    42.3 g carbs
    11.0 g protein
  • gemfox
    gemfox Posts: 107
    Options
    ok this sounds AMAZING! so so pleased they dont have them in the UK!
    Why not try the idea below, frozen yoghurt is a great replacement for icecream that is used in macdonalds milkshakes. hard to make it as thick and may not taste the same but still, yummy and way less calories! Frozen Yoghurt is my new best friend!
    good luck!
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I never heard of them and now if I do, I'll be sure to stay away!!:laugh: It sounds like they are tempting! I struggle with certain sweet treats associated with each holiday. I feel good if I let the holiday go by without indulging. Good luck! You can do it.
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    254666.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Enjoy!

Great site - pitty its not a bit easier to browse - the receipe names arent too descripted but thanks for sharing it
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Options
    I have a recipe for them that we use at work for teen nutrition classes. It's from the dairy borard. Shamrock shakes are one of my bigest weaknesses too. I LOATHE fast food but my husband calls those "crack shakes" because of the way I drink it, lol. I don't have the exact recipe in front of me and it's been a while since I've made them so the amounts will need to be played with but it's basically skim milk, pistachio pudding mix (sugar free) and a crushed mint oreo cookie, blended in the blender. They have around 200 claories and quite yummy!
  • bby_baer
    bby_baer Posts: 39
    Options
    I couldn't help but laugh when I saw your post...I have been dealing with the same "weakness"! LOL I am excited when the Shamrock Shakes make their yearly appearance, and I'm sad to see them go! I have had two already this yr, but I'm trying to look at the positive...instead of getting the large that I usually would have gotten and downed in a matter of 20 mins, I have allowed myself to indulge by just getting the small : ) They are a treat that is only around for a little bit, so I am not going to beat myself up about it and am proud of myself for keeping it to the small size. I just make sure I get my exercises in and the rest of what I eat are good healthy choices. They sure are yummy! Hopefully one of these alternatives will help you get your fix minus all the calories, fat and carbs! Good luck, and if you find one that you think is close to the real deal, please post!!
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do not know of this shamrock shake of which you speak - maybe i should be greatful we dont have them in australia - but i do feel like i am missing out a bit
  • bby_baer
    bby_baer Posts: 39
    Options
    I do not know of this shamrock shake of which you speak - maybe i should be greatful we dont have them in australia - but i do feel like i am missing out a bit

It's a mint flavored milk shake at McDonald's...and yes, I'd have to say the fact that you do not have them in Australia would be bitter sweet!
  • rlinson
    rlinson Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Damn!! I forgot it was that time of year!! I am in trouble now!!

Seriously - seeing that nutrional info was very interesting and a good deterrent......and that was just a small - who gets a small anyway?
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I LOVE those things too - but this is a solution - here in the west, we have coffee stands EVERYWHERE - literally on every corner - like an ABC store if you've ever been to Hawaii..... ;)

I get this - a nonfat iced latte (I get decaf) with creme de menthe syrup (and if you like also get a shot of white chocolate syrup - that's what I do) - this is a coffee version of the Shamrock Shake- maybe you could even have them blend it with the ice....might be more of a "shake" texture then... definitely fewer calories! :) LOVE this treat...

Today I got a "hot" latte - so good!
  • sdwelk11
    Options
    Hello!

Enjoy!

I made this over the weekend and it was very yummy... Close enough to satisfy my desire for a Shamrock shake!!!!!! Thanks everyone for the advice and recipes!!!!!
  • sdwelk11
    Options
    bump
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Sorry this is the day after St. Patricks Day, but I just now ran across this! I have just recently began to really pay attention to Hungry Girl! I have seen her on Rachael Ray, many times, browsed through testimonials about her book, and went to her websight once or twice, but never really put a lot of attention into it until today. I am trying to broaden my repertoire of healthy recipes, or lower calorie cooking and decided today was the day to in depth explore her websight. I just ran across this recipe, of hers, and remembered that someone had mentioned Shamrock Shakes, here. So, here you go, from www.hungry-girl.com

PER SERVING (1 shake, entire recipe): 176 calories, 4g fat, 142mg sodium, 29.5g carbs, 3.5g fiber, 16g sugars, 7.5g protein -- POINTS® value 3*

Ingredients:
    1 tbsp. Coffee-mate Sugar Free French Vanilla powdered creamer
    3/4 cup light vanilla soymilk
    1/2 cup Breyers Smooth & Dreamy Creamy Vanilla fat-free ice cream
    1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
    2 drops green food coloring
    1 no-calorie sweetener packet (like Splenda)
    1 1/2 cups crushed ice (8 - 12 ice cubes' worth)

Directions:
    Combine Coffee-mate with 1 tbsp. hot water and stir to dissolve. Transfer mixture to a blender and add all other ingredients. Blend at high speed until mixed thoroughly. Pour into a glass and enjoy!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I made the Hungry Girl shamrock shake last night!!! It was pretty good. Mine came to about 218 cals because I couldn't find fat free vanilla ice cream! It also depends on the other products you use but honestly 218 is not bad for a shake (especially compared to mcdonalds!) and it was a pretty big size for me!

This is the first year in AGES that I went without a shamrock shake from mcdonalds and I am soooo proud of myself. But when I found the hungry girl version I HAD to try it.

:)
  • clem7444
    clem7444 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    BUMP because it's Shamrock Shake season again :)