Running my first 5k tomorrow!!

Hey Guys,
Tomorrow morning i will be running my first 5k, bright and early at 8 a.m. the weather is supposed to be sunny but chilly around 45 degrees. This makes me a little nervous as i have noticed in recent evening runs, the cold air makes it difficult to breath. So advice, tips, what not to do, what to do... any help is appreciated!

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Very exciting! I also have a 5K tomorrow (not my first though). That's PERFECT weather for running! Just dress in layers and dress as if it's around 65 because you'll warm up in no time!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Don't do anything you didn't do in your daily workouts. No need to drink or eat before the race if you normally don't before workouts. You'll be a tad cool at first but I doubt you'll even notice the temperature after a half-mile. There will be a lot of standing around waiting for the race to start so try and stay warmed up. If you have a friend along you can wear a warm coat or hoodie and just take it off and let them hold it right before the race.

Best of luck.
  • Christineab
    Christineab Posts: 28 Member
    You can also wear a throw away shirt...it's the top layer you can take off and throw to the side if you get too hot....never to be seen again....a lot people do it
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Do you have asthma? If so, I'd recommend using your inhaler about 5-10 minutes BEFORE you run. If you can keep your head and neck warm until the running warms you up, that might help too. I have no idea if drinking warm liquids beforehand would help but tea (especially the minty kind) helps me with breathing problems in general so it might be worth a shot to try.