Runners - What to Wear?

Options
I realize everyone is different, but I'm running my first "cold" weather event on Sunday and I don't want to overdress. I'm a big baby - "cold" is around 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I won't wear a hat, regardless, but gloves? How many layers? I'm already planning on a long sleeved undershirt and a singlet. My biggest problem is that I will be freezing before I start, but tend to get warm very quickly. (It is a 10k, if that makes a difference.)

Thanks for the input!!

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Dress as if it's going to be 20 degrees warmer than it'll actually be.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Most people say to dress as if it's 10 - 20 degrees warmer than it really is. You SHOULD be chilly to start. I have a 5K tomorrow and it'll be around 30 - 33 degrees when I run. I'll be wearing running capris, knee socks (themed event), a wicking tank, wicking tech shirt, and a regular short sleeved t-shirt over that (again...for the theme). I'll also wear some thin gloves (the Miracle one size fits all type gloves) and an ear wrap. But I also know that about 1/2 way through I'll take off the ear wrap and gloves and I'll get very sweaty. But then again, about 10 minutes after I'm done I'll cool down so I'll be happy for the layers.
  • runnninginmd
    Options
    I would wear pants and a thin long sleeve shirt. I have been running in that temp every morning and that's what I've been wearing and I've actually been a little warm. You might want to bring throw away gloves to wear at the beginning that you can get rid of when you get too hot, and possibly a throw away long sleeve shirt too. I did a 1/2 a few weeks ago and we pretty much just had to freeze while we waited for it to start... I really wished I had a throw away shirt on!

They say to dress like you are running in weather 20 degrees warmer than what it actually is, if that helps...
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k in the mid 30s this week. I did wish I had gloves but I didn't mind wearing a short sleeve shirt and shorts. I wore a thick hoodie right up until they called for use to go to the starting line and once the race started I got warmed up quickly. If you have a friend to hold your coat that's a good plan, otherwise a long sleeve shirt and some gloves would be a good idea so you're not miserable at first.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My boss is a runner and she's told me that she's used old (holey), but clean socks as gloves. That way, if she gets too warm, she doesn't care about just pulling them off and dropping them. Do you have anyone who is going to be there to cheer for you? If so, you could wear a jacket and hand it to them at the last minute. That way you can also get it back when you are done.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Sadly? Suffer at the start and dress for how you'll feel after you're moving. If there's a bag check (almost every race I've ever been to has one), check the warm stuff so you can have it until near start time and after the race. There's going to be a 20-30 minute period right before the race where you're cold though, it's just unavoidable. I did the "Cambridge 5K Series Yulefest" in Cambridge, MA in mid December last year. It was like 18F at the start of the race, and let me tell that we froze our a$$es off until the start gun popped. Yet by mid race I was still stripping gear off.
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Sadly? Suffer at the start and dress for how you'll feel after you're moving. If there's a bag check (almost every race I've ever been to has one), check the warm stuff so you can have it until near start time and after the race. There's going to be a 20-30 minute period right before the race where you're cold though, it's just unavoidable.

this ^^ I am freezing at the start but after a mile I am usually good to go. I usually wear a short sleeve running shirt, capri compression pants & arm sleeves. If I get too hot then I can just pull off the arm sleeves. Makes much easier then having to tie my jacket around my waist.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'd wear short, singlet and gloves. If it's windy, replace the singlet with a short sleeve tech shirt.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone!!
  • Notyourrevolution
    Notyourrevolution Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm all about the throw-away layer. I usually just go to a thrift store and buy a cheap hoodie to put on over whatever running gear I'll be wearing. I figure $5 for a bit of additional warmth while standing around is worth it.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I never run with pants. Do shorts or capris.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

This.

I have a 5K on Sunday and it's going to be 33 or so when I run. The coldest I've run so far was 45. I'm planning on wearing the same thing I always do: capris and a tank top. Before the race, I'll have a long sleeved t shirt on and gloves but I get warm really fast when I run and I HATE being overly hot due to clothes.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I realize everyone is different, but I'm running my first "cold" weather event on Sunday and I don't want to overdress. I'm a big baby - "cold" is around 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I won't wear a hat, regardless, but gloves? How many layers? I'm already planning on a long sleeved undershirt and a singlet. My biggest problem is that I will be freezing before I start, but tend to get warm very quickly. (It is a 10k, if that makes a difference.)

Thanks for the input!!

Thank you for this. I, too am running my first cold weather race this Sunday. great advice above, Thank you.
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    For anything below 60 degrees, I typically wear the following:

Lower Half:
    - Asics Thermopolis running tights
    - Running shorts

Upper Half
    - Under armour "Heat-Gear" compression shirt
    - Tech tee
    - Asics Arm Warmers
    - Beanie
    - Gloves* - I typically ditch the gloves halfway through the race

I love the tights and the arm warmers because they keep me warm before the start, but as I heat up and start sweating they wick away moisture and keep me from overheating.
  • amuseboucheUK
    amuseboucheUK Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and it's quite chilly here now (4C just now at 17:15) ... I have been going out in fleece tracksuit bottoms, Tee shirt and a "Peter Storm" zipped wind cheater with pockets big enough to accommodate the fleece gloves and hat I also start out with ... it's important not to get too cold at the start or the end of the run (5min fast walk warm up and warm down) so I usually end up taking them off and popping them in the pockets and un zipping the jacket to get some air cooling going (Like a VW Beetle) ... it's also not nice to get wet either so the peter storm keeps me dry too and it's bright orange so I'm visible on the roads round here!

I'm a novice runner on session 13 of 28 in a C25K training regime on Runkeeper ... I've promised myself some new clothes when I reach 100kg (from 113kg and 10kg off my Xmas target of 90kg) ...

Good luck!
  • aphid
    aphid Posts: 47
    Options
    do wear gloves... i am a cold person and even when i am running, my hands are still cold when the rest of me is warm. i'd wear a thin long sleeve over a short sleeve t shirt.
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I also highly recommend you wear some chapstick or something to protect your lips during the race. Rock N' Roll vegas was my first cold race (It was 40 during the race) and my lips got chapped beyond belief.
  • GZinSea
    GZinSea Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What are capris? im a guy, I dont know these things
  • beckydragonpoet
    beckydragonpoet Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking the question! I'm running my first cold weather run this coming Sunday as well. It is a 4.5 mile race and looks like it will be upper 30's to low 40's. I didn't want to over or under dress.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

^ this