Craving cookies, muffins and pastries...

Options
Does anyone have any tips on dealing with cravings for sweets? I used to eat probably about 1 muffin or cookie per day from coffee shops like startbucks, tim hortons etc... It was a morning ritual to have this with my coffee. I haven't done this in over a month now but I am so close to breaking down. Sometimes on days like these (it's a Friday, I've been eating good all week, I've worked hard all week, I went to the gym everyday etc...), I feel like I DESERVE a treat, like I've somehow earned it by being so good all week. All these little things I say to myself to try and justify it somehow, but in the end I know that I will feel like crap after I eat it. I was about to cave right after lunch today when I was on my way to Second Cup to get a rasberry white chocolate scone....mmmmm. I was convinved that I DESERVED it! On my way there, I looked up the amount of calories on my phone and found that there are about 200 calories in 1/2 of these scones! So that would have been a 400 calorie mistake if I didn't look it up. I ended up going to Shoppers Drugmart and buying some 'lifestyle' cookies that only had about 140 calories in three of them and had that instead. My craving has been satisfied (lightly), but I'm afraid it will be back soon. Anyone else have ways of dealing with these cravings?

Replies

• momshorses
    momshorses Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    This is a very timely post for me. You have no idea. I am battling this as we speak. I just went and made myself a cup of Bengal Spice tea and it seems to have helped. It has the flavour, but no calories. Hope this helps.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I love to bake and love to eat baked goods! I just keep it in moderation. I have some things that I add protein powder to, like baked oatmeal, that satisfies my cravings as well as fitting in my macros.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    This is a bit of a pet peeve so I apologize in advance if any of this sounds snippy...

You plan to eat these things again at some point right? Assuming that answer is yes, does it really make sense to deprive yourself until you get to your goal weight and then try to eat them again? That will very likely lead to you binging and gaining the weight back.

A better approach is to make treats and snacks work for you. Just because something has chocolate and sugar in it (or even tomato sauce and cheese) and tastes good doesn't mean it's evil and a no-no. You just have to make it work in your plan. If you want a muffin, plan to have it once a week and either skip some other snack in the day or make sure you get a bit of (extra) exercise in to make up the difference. This will keep you sane and keep you on plan much longer than depriving, craving and then giving in and binging.

Please trust me on this. I may lose slow now but you'll never see me posting about regretting the pizza I ate (unless it gave me indigestion) or the cookie I had for breakfast. I'm happy and I've stuck with it longer than I have ever stuck with a "diet". Almost three years in and 87 pounds gone forever!

Good luck to you!
  • shalim1972
    shalim1972 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Note: Do not sabotage yourself saying you deserve a treat. Think about what this "treat" really represents. The right to live a HEALTHY life is a treat, and should be the one and only treat. When you need a treat, Do your nails, comb your hair differently. Hug and embrace yourself, for YOU are the best TREAT you can give yourself and no baker in the world can provide you with greater satisfaction. After a couple of months find 3 buddies and do a Muffin Party, cut this muffin in 4 pieces and share 3/4's with your friends, listen to your body, and you will see you were not missing out on anything.

It is hard to train the brain to the right choice, I can say this after a lifetime of emotional eating addictions, and it takes many re-starts, but that is the beauty of learning Life.
  • kimmcconkey
    kimmcconkey Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with MinnieInMaine whole heartedly! It's like cutting carbs out of your diet completely to lose weight. Can you maintain this for the long term (some can) however eventually you're gonna want a potato or rice! Don't deny yourself or you're gonna crave those things even more. However, if it is your goal to avoid completely try this: 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder, bit of water and mix until it's not lumpy. Add 3 tablespoons of low fat Cool Whip and stir. It becomes a Chocolate Mousse and it is yummy and low in everything but high in protein. This is my go to snack when I'm craving chocolate. You can also had a small amount of natural peanut butter to make it taste even better!!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Note: Do not sabotage yourself saying you deserve a treat. Think about what this "treat" really represents. The right to live a HEALTHY life is a treat, and should be the one and only treat. When you need a treat, Do your nails, comb your hair differently. Hug and embrace yourself, for YOU are the best TREAT you can give yourself and no baker in the world can provide you with greater satisfaction. After a couple of months find 3 buddies and do a Muffin Party, cut this muffin in 4 pieces and share 3/4's with your friends, listen to your body, and you will see you were not missing out on anything.

It is hard to train the brain to the right choice, I can say this after a lifetime of emotional eating addictions, and it takes many re-starts, but that is the beauty of learning Life.

There is nothing unhealthy about having an occasional treat.
  • Don't beat yourself up about it. Sometimes I feel bad when I eat sweets but I try to find an alternative. For instance, I like chocolate and I eat skinny cow snacks. They taste good and I don't feel bad when I eat it. I also like soda so to replace my craving for that, I drink Izze with is a juice beverage with sparkling water so it makes me feel like I am drinking soda. But if you are absolutely craving that one thing, just taste it. Just do everything in moderation :)
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options

It is way unhealthier to deny yourself. How long can you deny yourself before you finally break down and binge? I agree with Minnie. Allow yourself a muffin once a week, or somehow work it into your eating plan by exercising more. BTW, I love Second Cup's morning glory muffin and Starbuck's blueberry scone!
    There is nothing unhealthy about having an occasional treat.
  • melmckay99
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I do allow myself to have a treat, but only once a week. I usually save it for the weekends since this is when I'm out and about with friends, and eating healthy is not as easy. During the week I am much more strict. I know myself, and if I started having a treat twice a week (once on the weekend and on one on a weekday), it would quickly become 3 times and week, then 4, and then lead to everyday. It's how I've always been with deiting and excercising, as soon as I let things go a little, I just fall off the deep end so to speak. I'm going to start looking into some healthy baking recipes that won't make me feel as bad. I recently tried to make quinoa bread, the first loaf I made tasted like cardboard, lol. But the second one I added some stevia, blueberries and a some dark chocolate chips, and it turned into a delicious and (mostly) healthy loaf. I need to find more of these!
  • Aplmark
    Aplmark Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Eat the sweets in moderation or what works for me for a sweet tooth is Silk Dark Chocolate Almond Milk.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I love my sweets, but I have to buy things pre-portioned, I find it helps.

I LOVE Fiber One's brownies. They are individually wrapped and 90 calories. They serve as my dessert fix, and save me from wanting those big desserts from the coffee shops.

Also, Cooking light has some great recipes. For my birthday my mother is making me a Lemon layer cake with white frosting, I believe one serving is around 250 cal? (don't quote me on that!). I made a carrot cake from that magazine, and it was delish and much healthier than a normal carrot cake. Just watch the serving sizes! And don't restrict yourself, that (in my experience) can lead to binges!
  • BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    120 calories brownies >>> http://www.amazon.com/No-Pudge-Brownie-Original-13-7-Ounce/dp/B000GZYAN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351885001&sr=8-1&keywords=no+pudge

Personally, I use that high calorie food choice to motivate me into working out. But I plan it, I workout first to create that calorie deficit for the snack.