How to eat only when hungry?

Options
What do other people use as an indicator of hunger? Do you think it is feasible to always have prepared food to avoid bad choices, but wait for a physical indication of hunger (stomach growling) before eating?
My hunger meter is broken I need to reset it! I feel like my alienation from hunger keeps me from knowing when I am satisfied.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    hunger is a very interesting and complex issue.

Take some time and research it when you can.

It helps dealing with and recognizing real hunger once I got a better understanding of what is going on in my body.

good luck
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    What do other people use as an indicator of hunger? Do you think it is feasible to always have prepared food to avoid bad choices, but wait for a physical indication of hunger (stomach growling) before eating?
    My hunger meter is broken I need to reset it! I feel like my alienation from hunger keeps me from knowing when I am satisfied.

I really feel that when you are first starting out you can't rely on your "rumbling tummy". Since it is as you said 'broken' from all the years of over/under eating. What happens if you try to eat only when you are hungry is either a) you over eat because that's what your used to, or b) you under eat because you try to fool yourself (and others) into thinking that you aren't hungry. If you do any of these behaviors you won't ever get back to 'normal'.

When you first start you need to PLAN to eat, how many meals, what food etc.. it's only after you do this properly for a while and you are eating the right number of calories and foods that you can start going back to listening a little bit to your body. You have to train yourself..eat SLOWLY - it really makes a difference to "feeling" full. Make sure you drink your water too because the feeling of thirst is also often confused with hunger. You became overweight by 'listening to your body' so thinking "oh, I'll just eat when I'm hungry" won't work until you re-teach your body the signals.

Some people subscribe to the "If you aren't hungry, don't eat" mantra but for me that makes no sense. Until your body is re-trained to 'feel' correctly, feelings are unreliable.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I only eat 4 hours after dinner. Anything less is boredom hunger
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I wait till my tummy growls. However, once evening hits, it seems like a more urgent sort of hunger, and i end up indulging.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Hunger is a complex mixture of different hormones int he body.
    Ghrelin and Leptin play very important roles.
    If you under eat for long periods of time and you adjust, ghrelin and leptin take a back seat to other destructive hormones like cortisol.
    How about you set up a habit of eating at say....2pm, 6pm and 10pm?
    That way all your calories go in at the same time every day.
    Youll learn what emotional hunger is as opposed to the hormonal hunger.
    Youll lean out because of the fasted state as long as you eat below TDEE daily.

I get emotionally hungry every day at about 11am.
    I get truly hungry at 2pm when my feeding window opens.

To figure out how much you should be eating daily go here.....http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • _Alkaline
    _Alkaline Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I always forget to post important back story. I am not just starting out, I've lost 40+ lbs. I've read extensively You on a diet, Gary Taubes, Mindless Eating, and much more/ I get the science aspect, but I am curious about what methods other people use to determine hunger. In the past I will admit I have lost weight using rumbling as an indicator of hunger, but that generally only works if i am preoccupied enough not to be stuffing my face in the first place. Right now I just eat at certain times, but that leads me wondering, am I actually hungry?

Just curious about how others go about it.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I wait until my left arm starts to sound like a reasonable meal option.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    will power
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Going by hunger isn't the most reliable way to lose or maintain weight. For instance, you might feel hungry an hour after eating a 300 cal cinnamon roll but not feel hungry for 3 hours after eating two eggs, worth half the cals. Hunger is related to the content of the food (lots of fiber and protein will keep you full for longer, meanwhile something with simple carbs won't) but weight has to do with STRICTLY calories.
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    When think I am hungry and it is NOT meal/snack time, I have found that I can chug a bottle of water ( I have to chug it) and put off my "hunger" pains until meal time. My former running coach claimed that a lot of times what we think is hunger is actually thirst, and from my experience this is true.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I wait until my left arm starts to sound like a reasonable meal option.

lol.. I've done this before then end up eating anything and everything in sight :-P
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I rarely get stomach-grumbling hunger. My meals and snacks are pretty well timed to keep me steady throughout the day. But if I miss one, or I'm trying to save up calories for a treat, or my snack was something really sugary that doesn't stay with me, I can feel a definite loss of focus and concentration (and I don't just mean because I'm thinking about food). If I really go too long I start to get spots in my vision. It took me a while to figure it out because I didn't feel hungry, but if I have a little snack when that happens it goes away.

Other hunger signs for me are dizziness, bad mood, and for some reason my eye starts twitching. I can't remember the last time my tummy rumbled.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I only eat 4 hours after dinner. Anything less is boredom hunger

the *kitten*?
  • _Alkaline
    _Alkaline Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    will power

Will power tells you when you are hungry? interesting. . .
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Hollow feeling or growling stomach. This morning, instead of having my breakfast shake, I had Shredded Wheat which I need to soak up the milk. When I was done with my regular, wake up routine and still no food, my stomach put up a fuss.

Most of the time, I don't get those feelings since I space out meals and snacks.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't wait until I'm hungry because then it becomes a battle of wills between what I want to eat and what I should eat. I preplan my day with meals and snacks. It doesn't always work out but if I have a snack midmorning I'm less likely to be ravenous at lunch. Midafternoon snack keeps me from eating too much at dinner. Evening is just a battle of wills!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I have been steadily maintaining an eating schdule. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper, bedtime snack (sometimes). I think my body has gotten used to that system, since it's rare I have hunger 'pangs'. The week before 'that monthly time' is a bit different, but mostly, the schedule works.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I avoid hunger and have gone to six mini meals per day.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I eat based on known energy needs, not hunger. Never use hunger as a guide while assuming a deficit because your leptin levels naturally decline while in a caloric restrictive state.