Kettlebell wrist guard

Options
Hello,
I'm new to kettlebells and haven't mastered the clean just yet. My forearms are pretty banged up. Any recommendations on a wrist guard?

Thanks!
Kim

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    technique is the best wrist guard.
    banged up wrists is the best motivation for technique.

=)
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Love Kettlebells! Had this problem in the beginning too--it was improper form/Technique. When I stopped cleaning with too much pull from my arm-esp. lower arm, the problem resolved when I began cleaning by using my shoulder muscles vs arm. Seems to stop the sligning of the bell back on the wrist. You could also try more of a crush grip at the pivot point to prevent the slam back to the wrist.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    yep, this is all about getting the technique right by flipping the bell over just before the top and engaging your wrist so it doesnt smack your forearm.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Weider used to sell a padded wrist guard but I couldn't find it on their website. I would bet a couple of wrist/sweat bands would work for you.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I agree that bad form causes bruises.
    But I've also got bruises from exercises where the bell is just resting on my forearm though. Maybe I just bruise easily, but I got myself guards from NoFearFitness and beside getting all sweaty underneath them they're working well for me.
  • davidep21
    davidep21 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use my wrist sweat bands as guards. proper technique is important as well.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I just wear sweatbands- 80s style. You could also cut off the feet off some old tube socks and wear them like leg warmers, but on your arms.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    These kettlebells are really taking on - I want to have a go as well, along with my bodyweight exercises and yoga - I like to do things different-like!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have some that I got for my wife a long time ago. When I get home I will try to remember to look at what they are and post it here. They are foam with a spring steel insert so they store flat but snap into a circle around your wrist like the smaller novelty snap bracelets you may have seen.
  • kimama01
    kimama01 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.... I will definitely look into some sweat bands....Hopefully my form will get better soon.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    technique is the best wrist guard.
    banged up wrists is the best motivation for technique.

=)
    This. You're doing it wrong if you think you need a 'wrist guard'
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've never used wrist guards and never bruised from class but here are others in class that wear the guards. Two of my girlfriends do. I asked one of the instructors and they said even with proper technique some people still bruise. She said even she does. They are pretty easy to find, Walmart, etc. That being said I'm addicted. Take 3-4 classes a week!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    What changes have you found from doing kettlebell? Stronger core? Cardio? Fat reduction? Looking at taking this up along with bodyweight exercises to maintain muscle while reducing fat.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    What changes have you found from doing kettlebell? Stronger core? Cardio? Fat reduction? Looking at taking this up along with bodyweight exercises to maintain muscle while reducing fat.

All of those things. As with anything I see the best results when my diet is on point. There are two types of Kettlebell classes offered at my gym. One is a mix of kettle/pilates/cardio and the other is more straight kettlebell. So I do see more core strength from the yoga/pilates combo and I have increased my weights steadily since I started. I always wear my HRM and have a good calorie burn from either class. I would definitely recommend trying it.
  • kimama01
    kimama01 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've never used wrist guards and never bruised from class but here are others in class that wear the guards. Two of my girlfriends do. I asked one of the instructors and they said even with proper technique some people still bruise. She said even she does. They are pretty easy to find, Walmart, etc. That being said I'm addicted. Take 3-4 classes a week!

I started training with kettlebells last month. I found a RKC trainer and he is AWESOME!!! I use kettlebells with him and at home I have an adjustable powerbell ( I don't recommend)... that is what is killing my forearms. It is not shaped like the kettlebell and my forearms are taking a beating.. My form/technique was def the problem and the weight was all wrong too.

Anyway I think I may just purchase a kettlebell for home and use the powerbell to just swing. Although I'm such a newbie, I'm sure my form is not going to correct overnite. Either way I LOVE KETTLEBELL and even these bruised forearms are not going to stop me :)
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    When I was learning...
    I used some type of football pads that we found at the sports store.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i used sweat bands on my wrist. i don't do cleans but i use kettle bells to do turkish get ups and the KB just resting on my forearm hurts it
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I love KBs and use them all the time! I used to hurt my arms with the cleans. With time and proper form things got better. I used to wear the sweat bands on my wrists too. But also I bet the adjustable one is the problem too.