Looking to buy P90X

Options

Replies

• BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Amen Canuckfit! Well said!

It is FOR SURE possible to transform your body in 90 days. My husband & I did just that w/our 1st round of p90x last summer. No, the workouts are not some new, mind-blowing routines. But they are well thought-out & if you use heavy enough weights, they bring great results. P90x forced me to do exercises I would normally avoid on my own at the gym...ugh I used to hate push-ups, tri dips....2 things I can crank out 40 each of now. & the nutrition guide forced me to take a good, hard look at my eating. I am a totally different eater now. I even suscribe to Clean Eating magazine. Yes, I could've researched different exercise combinations online or in books. Yes, I could've visited a dietician or did more research online or w/books. I personally don't have the time or want to put in that type of effort. I'd rather pay $150 or whatever for a program that has already done all of that for me. I have done Insanity as well & same goes for that program. Now I do a hybrid of them together. The possibilities are endless & have lasted me past the 90 day program. It is not a far reach to say P90x turned my life around.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else but I'm very sceptical about any product that claims to "transform your body from regular to ripped in just 90 days"

It's all part of the hype. For them, it's all about tugging on the right emotional strings to trigger a purchase.

For those who like being spoonfed exact routines to follow, there are much worse products on the shelves. I just wish people would be more knowledgeable so that they're buying stuff like this for the right reasons (which would not include the supposed miracle results and secret "muscle confusion" they like to talk about).

I honestly don't think P90X is hype at all, and I believe that my overall fitness has improved drastically in the past 48 days as a result of "muscle confusion"
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    i belong to a gym and the big benefit of P90x to me is having a structured program that is by no means routine from day to day. The other benefit (And larger one to me) is that as part of my time management I no longer have to waste time driving to and from the gym, dealing with gym bags/clothes etc.. It may not seem like much, but that extra 30 minutes of peripheral time you end up using going to the gym is time i'd rather be working out or hanging out at home.

At home workouts are usually hard to do with intensity, the structure of p90x makes it hard to do without intensity and I totally feel like I don't ever need to go back to the gym as a result. I'd highly recommend spending the 140$ on this first and see if it works before paying to solicit any other professional 'gym' advice.

I completely agree with you!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think P90X is hype at all, and I believe that my overall fitness has improved drastically in the past 48 days as a result of "muscle confusion"

I'm speaking more specficially regarding the peer-reviewed research literature regarding periodization and muscular adaptation. Muscle confusion isn't really a principle that's rooted in reseach and human physiology.

Remember, correlation is not causation.

By that, I mean just because they say muscle confusion works, it might not be that principle that's giving you your bang for your buck. In reality, I'd argue it's not. Rather, it's the intensity and progressive overload that's giving you your results and I base that on what we know about the human body and its response to the stress of resistance training.

I am a fan of p90x. I really am. It's one of the few commercial products out there that actually includes the foundational concepts that all worthy programs have. And because of this, especially if you put forth the effort, I'm sure you will realize awesome improvements if you adhere to it.

I congratulate you.

My "argument" is that:

a) there's a lot of marketing hype that goes behind p90x. In part, it's good as it gets more people resistance training than otherwise would. The other part is not so good from the eyes of someone like me who values research and scientific integrity.

and

b) Many other programs deliver the same thing.

Neither of these refutations discredit the efficacy of p90x though. At the end of the day, it's a program that, if followed consistently, will deliver results.

Fair enough?
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options

I'm speaking more specficially regarding the peer-reviewed research literature regarding periodization and muscular adaptation. Muscle confusion isn't really a principle that's rooted in reseach and human physiology.

Remember, correlation is not causation.

By that, I mean just because they say muscle confusion works, it might not be that principle that's giving you your bang for your buck. In reality, I'd argue it's not. Rather, it's the intensity and progressive overload that's giving you your results and I base that on what we know about the human body and its response to the stress of resistance training.

I am a fan of p90x. I really am. It's one of the few commercial products out there that actually includes the foundational concepts that all worthy programs have. And because of this, especially if you put forth the effort, I'm sure you will realize awesome improvements if you adhere to it.

I congratulate you.

My "argument" is that:

a) there's a lot of marketing hype that goes behind p90x. In part, it's good as it gets more people resistance training than otherwise would. The other part is not so good from the eyes of someone like me who values research and scientific integrity.

and

b) Many other programs deliver the same thing.

Neither of these refutations discredit the efficacy of p90x though. At the end of the day, it's a program that, if followed consistently, will deliver results.

Fair enough?

Perfectly fair. I have seen several of your posts and you seem very knowledgeable. I just didn't want the OP to think that P90X would be a bad choice. :flowerforyou:
  • nali_12
    nali_12 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Canuckfit and some of the others. Not sure what Stroutman81 has against it, maybe it's taking away his clients, haha! :) Ok, I just read stroutman's last post so I take back my previous comment! :)

I am a believer in p90x. p90x takes all the guesswork out. whether you belong to a gym or not it's all about balancing the right foods and doing the right exercises. you could go to a gym everyday but if you are not doing the right things you won't see the results you want. the nutrition plan is not a crock. there is a saying that says, "your abs are made in the kitchen and results are 70% diet and 30% exercise." You can't fuel your body with crap and then do some hard core exercise and expect to have a lean, mean, fat burning machine! :)

sure there might be other programs out there but this is a awesome one that works. It does take dedication and time but no pain, no gain right! You can do it whenever is convenient for you and best of all it works, did I say that already! :) I'm just starting my 2nd round and this time I am following the nutrition ratios. I saw great results with my 1st round just by counting my calories and eating healthier but I think this round will be even better. You definitely can't go on a low calorie diet for this program. Your body needs the fuel. This program is not hype and not promising unrealistic things. They have done all the hard stuff by figuring out what to do when and how to do it and what types of food to eat, all you have to do is do your best and push play everyday! and no i'm not getting paid to say this, i just truly believe in this program and it is one I will probably do for life!
  • nali_12
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else but I'm very sceptical about any product that claims to "transform your body from regular to ripped in just 90 days"

Ripped takes A LOT weights and exercise - and real effort to get body fat down to a minimum - my own personal advice would be to stick to a traditional exercise programme, or if you want to do a weights work, make your own up - if you have an iphone for example there are loads of examples on there

Good luck either way :-)

you obviously have never tried it and here's my ??? why make up your own when there is one out there already???
    sorry, i think I'm overly sensitive as I think this is an awesome program and I hate to see people bash it.

Getting ripped does take work but it is possible. Diet makes up a huge part in that. anyway...i'm putting away my p90x claws now! :)
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options

Ripped takes A LOT weights and exercise - and real effort to get body fat down to a minimum - my own personal advice would be to stick to a traditional exercise programme, or if you want to do a weights work, make your own up - if you have an iphone for example there are loads of examples on there

Good luck either way :-)

you obviously have never tried it and here's my ??? why make up your own when there is one out there already???
    sorry, i think I'm overly sensitive as I think this is an awesome program and I hate to see people bash it.

Getting ripped does take work but it is possible. Diet makes up a huge part in that. anyway...i'm putting away my p90x claws now! :)

:laugh:
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Perfectly fair. I have seen several of your posts and you seem very knowledgeable. I just didn't want the OP to think that P90X would be a bad choice. :flowerforyou:

Great and thanks. I wouldn't want the OP to think that either.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Not sure what Stroutman81 has against it, maybe it's taking away his clients, haha! :)

Hey now. No reason to make this something personal.

I own a gym and online consulting business and have a waiting list. I'm not one to brag, but I assure you p90x isn't even on my radar as far as competition is concerned. It caters to a different market than I target.

I belong to communties like this to offer research-backed, objective/unbiased opinions. That's my very simple motive. I feel people are entitled to that given the enormous amount of biased, monetarily driven motives out there in the fitness industry.

Not once did I knock the p90x program, itself. I simply commented about some of the marketing tactics and unfounded claims.
    Ok, I just read stroutman's last post so I take back my previous comment! :)

Ok. I appreaciate you retracting the statement. But I'd like to be clear... I'll never personally bring someone into a conversation even if I'm in a debate with them. Debates are great... I love them. Being forced to defend your beliefs will either 1) reinforce them or 2) create doubt, in which case you reassess and either go back to 1) or you learn something. In any event, having people disagree can only lead to a positive outcome IMO. That's assuming people don't get personal when debating.
    I am a believer in p90x.

And here's my point....

This above quote is the equivalent of saying, "I am a believer in all programs that offer sound advice that's based on the core principles of training."

Obviously not everyone is familiar with the core principles and not everyone is interested in doing their own investigative work. For those, p90x is great. And if you buy it, love it, and realize results... I wouldn't be surprised and I'd be happy for you.

But if we all idol-worshiped particular programs, there'd be no objectivity. And that's when people can become blinded to the facts. The whole reason I join communties such as this is to maintain some of that objectivity. Let's face it, there's no such thing as The One Diet or The One Program that is "right" for everyone. Knowing this, we need to maintain objectivity when assessing things.
    This program is not hype

Just so we're clear since this has come up twice now in response to my original statement... I don't think p90x, as in the program itself, is hype... as I've said numerous times now. I'm saying that *some* of the marketing is based on hype. Which is the case with any commercial fitness product.

There's a big difference there.

I think I've said all I can say on the topic. I'm not here to offend anyone and it's obvious some people are misreading what I'm saying. So I'll exit the conversation.

Best to everyone!
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The program brings
    1. structure to a workout (warmup, workout, cooldown)
    2. motivation to press harder or to take breaks if needed.
    3. variety (cardio, yoga, stretching, strength / muscle building)
    4. Different variations, Lean program, regular, and Doubles for those in need of more.

That it does.

It also brings introduces progressive overload, which is inherent in any routine that "works."

My original point, which I want to highlight just so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle, is ALL PROGRAMS that are built upon the fundamental principles work. You can find them in books, DVDs like this one, from worthy personal trainers, and for free on the Internet. They're supply is endless.

I think this is an important point to stress b/c while some people are certainly buying the program for the right reasons (which are, they like the structure, spoon feeding, the trainer and the motivation he brings to the table, etc), there are others out there who buy this product b/c they think it delivers something other properly stuctured programs don't - which is false.

Right! I love this! There IS no "Miracle answer" just exercise and hard work! I am one of those that loves the spoon-feeding :D I think this program will help me because it will tell me what to do. If i could i would hire a personal trainer in a heartbeat, but i think this would be cheeper ;P
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Right! I love this! There IS no "Miracle answer" just exercise and hard work! I am one of those that loves the spoon-feeding :D I think this program will help me because it will tell me what to do. If i could i would hire a personal trainer in a heartbeat, but i think this would be cheeper ;P

In truth, you're probably better off with this compared to your average trainer in the industry, believe it or not. Like I've said elsewhere today, the training industry is in BAD SHAPE, no pun intended.
  • ttfit2
    ttfit2 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of P90X. I like just pushing play and bringing it (P90Xer's know what I'm talking about). P90X has the saying "Bring It" cause the creator of P90X, Tony Sawyer Horton, knew that you have to do that everytime for this program to deliver.

Before I started P90X, I could not do one UNassisted pull-up. After only 3 weeks into the program, I could do 11 unassisted pull-ups. I just say that to show how fast you can progress. I didn't follow the meal plans all the time, but would make many of the dinner meals. They are very good.

I have many workout routines from the internet, but they didn't do me any good because I was not motivated to do them. By the time I got done downloading and printing and deciding which day to do them, I didn't feel like doing them.

You have to know yourself. I know I needed a program that only required me to go into my basement and "Bring It". You can struggle as much as you want in the privacy of your own home.

I would definitely recommend P90X and I have to several people. They, too, have seen great results. Beachbody backs their products with money back guarantees so if you don't like it, just send it back. Decide. Commit. Succeed.
  • Cassia
    Options
    ok thanks everyone!
    Where would you sugest buying the product? I've thought about getting it on Amazon or Ebay. Has anyone had problems buying it second hand? Or a way to get it cheeper than $140 ?
  • nali_12
    Options
    Not sure what Stroutman81 has against it, maybe it's taking away his clients, haha! :)

Hey now. No reason to make this something personal.

I own a gym and online consulting business and have a waiting list. I'm not one to brag, but I assure you p90x isn't even on my radar as far as competition is concerned. It caters to a different market than I target.

I belong to communties like this to offer research-backed, objective/unbiased opinions. That's my very simple motive. I feel people are entitled to that given the enormous amount of biased, monetarily driven motives out there in the fitness industry.

Not once did I knock the p90x program, itself. I simply commented about some of the marketing tactics and unfounded claims.
    Ok, I just read stroutman's last post so I take back my previous comment! :)

Ok. I appreaciate you retracting the statement. But I'd like to be clear... I'll never personally bring someone into a conversation even if I'm in a debate with them. Debates are great... I love them. Being forced to defend your beliefs will either 1) reinforce them or 2) create doubt, in which case you reassess and either go back to 1) or you learn something. In any event, having people disagree can only lead to a positive outcome IMO. That's assuming people don't get personal when debating.
    I am a believer in p90x.

And here's my point....

This above quote is the equivalent of saying, "I am a believer in all programs that offer sound advice that's based on the core principles of training."

Obviously not everyone is familiar with the core principles and not everyone is interested in doing their own investigative work. For those, p90x is great. And if you buy it, love it, and realize results... I wouldn't be surprised and I'd be happy for you.

But if we all idol-worshiped particular programs, there'd be no objectivity. And that's when people can become blinded to the facts. The whole reason I join communties such as this is to maintain some of that objectivity. Let's face it, there's no such thing as The One Diet or The One Program that is "right" for everyone. Knowing this, we need to maintain objectivity when assessing things.
    This program is not hype

Just so we're clear since this has come up twice now in response to my original statement... I don't think p90x, as in the program itself, is hype... as I've said numerous times now. I'm saying that *some* of the marketing is based on hype. Which is the case with any commercial fitness product.

There's a big difference there.

I think I've said all I can say on the topic. I'm not here to offend anyone and it's obvious some people are misreading what I'm saying. So I'll exit the conversation.

Best to everyone!

I appreciate your comments and was not trying to offend you, hence the retract and smiley face! Sometimes I quote or name inviduals so others that read the thread will know what's going on or what I'm referring to. I agree that there are other programs that deliver results but since Cassia wasn't asking about other programs.......

I am in no way trying to discredit you or your knowledge. Only trying to state that p90x is one of those great programs out there!
    thanks!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    ok thanks everyone!
    Where would you sugest buying the product? I've thought about getting it on Amazon or Ebay. Has anyone had problems buying it second hand? Or a way to get it cheeper than $140 ?

I got both Insanity and P90x off Ebay for SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than retail price. They were original copies so no problems there. Came with all the guides and charts as well. You do have to be careful and research the auctions though becaue there definitely are some bad copies.
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    This was a great read!

I'm looking to do something this summer which is about the time I will have to change my routine and its just too bloody hot to actually do anything outside (95deg with 100% humidity, anybody??). I get to use a gym for free at my work place, so this is actually more expensive than a gym membership but the research and opinions on this are great!! I tend to do the same thing over and over again at the gym and while I'm still seeing results I know I can do better, just that after work, my brains go on autopilot and leave me doing the elliptical for varying times and intensity and these 6 machines, over and over and over.

The general consensus is "yay awesome work out" so I do think I will purchase it!! Looking forward to switching it up!
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    This was a great read!

I'm looking to do something this summer which is about the time I will have to change my routine and its just too bloody hot to actually do anything outside (95deg with 100% humidity, anybody??). I get to use a gym for free at my work place, so this is actually more expensive than a gym membership but the research and opinions on this are great!! I tend to do the same thing over and over again at the gym and while I'm still seeing results I know I can do better, just that after work, my brains go on autopilot and leave me doing the elliptical for varying times and intensity and these 6 machines, over and over and over.

The general consensus is "yay awesome work out" so I do think I will purchase it!! Looking forward to switching it up!

I think you'll like it, and - Yes, I could go for 95 and humid right about now.... ahaahhhhhh:glasses:
  • Karna6e
    Karna6e Posts: 57
    Options
    This was a great read!

That was my exact situation too. I decided to stop dropping the $55/month and pony up for P90X. I'm in my last month and I'm very happy with the results.

The other thing I like about it is that it really does try to be a total fitness program. Not only weight training, but there's an emphasis on flexibility and cardio too. It WILL you take you out of your comfort zone.

Good luck to everyone.

After I finish this, I'm going to incorporate Insanity on the P90X cardio days for additional calorie burning!
  • Cassia
    Options
    *UPDATE*
    I now have P90X in my possession! Yay! I haven't done any of the program yet, just the fitness test.
    Oh, and my mom got it off craig's list for $45 sealed! wow! what a good deal huh?