LADIES-Novasure (endometrial ablation)?? Anyone??

Options
I am getting alot of negative reviews on the Merina on here and online so I am really terrified to get it now but my only other options are Novasure or Hysterectomy and both I have to be put to sleep and terrified!! Anyone ever had the Novasure done?? How was it or is it?

Replies

• graceleigh614
    Options
    I had the Novasure done and it was great. No periods for 5 years, then had to have a hysterectomy.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Last year at this time I was supposed to have the NovaSure but ended up with a Hysterectomy - BUT I have had other friends do the ablation and it worked great - I was put to sleep for my hysterectomy - and it was the BEST NAP EVAH!! and I have felt nothing but great since then!
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have the Nexplanon. (the little stick think that goes in your arm) It works great. No problems. This is actually my 2nd one.
    http://www.nexplanon-usa.com/en/consumer/index.asp
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I just had it done in September. I am SOOOO glad I did it! I just had my first "period" a couple weeks ago and I barely even spotted. Best thing ever!!!! I have several friends who also have had it done and had the same results.

Message me if you want!:smile:
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I had one in January. The procedure itself was a breeze. Unfortunately, mine didn't result in no or very light subsequent periods. They are, however, not as unbearably heavy, so I suppose was worth it for me.
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have Merina and honestly the first 6 weeks were horrible but my OBGYN convinced me to stick with it and gave me a hormone to take for the transition period and I LOVE it now. I've had it 3 years now with no complaints.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I had the Novasure done, you dont have to be put to sleep, in an in-office procedure(or at least mine was), they just give you a mild sedative to help you relax, it hurts though, a lot, worse than labor. My procedure was pretty good, had very light periods for about 3 years, but now they are back FULL FORCE. If my insurance would have covered a hysterectomy at the time, I would have had that done instead.
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    So the Novasure is only good for 5 years?
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I had a thermal ablation (Therma Choice) a year ago, and it was the BEST THING EVER!!! No periods since. Prior to the procedure I had been bleeding heavily for 2.5 months, so after the ablation I had to have a blood transfusion. The recovery was slow, but seriously- best decision I ever made. A friend of mine had the same procedure right in her doctor's office with a local, but my doctor said he would feel like "a mean guy" not knocking me out. This is why my doctor rules.
  • Allup2Me78
    Options
    THANKS FOR THE INFO BUT I AM USING IT TO REDUCE THE FLOW OF MY MENSTRUAL AND I DO HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE SO I WOULDN'T BE A CANIDATE FOR THIS :(
    I have the Nexplanon. (the little stick think that goes in your arm) It works great. No problems. This is actually my 2nd one.
    http://www.nexplanon-usa.com/en/consumer/index.asp
  • jomorie
    jomorie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I will never know if Merina promoted my early menopause at 37 but I had it in for 10 years and no periods, had to have it surgically removed last year as it was embedded. If you want more children, I would advise against....in my case Ive had my family- but menopause at 37 is kinda early x
  • texnurse
    texnurse Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy, and I am a nurse, worked in OB/GYN, use to assist the docs with Novasure procedure...seemed painful per my patients, but nothing but amazing results reported afterwards.
  • Allup2Me78
    Options
    MY TUBES ARE TIED SO NO MORE KIDS AT ALL...
    I will never know if Merina promoted my early menopause at 37 but I had it in for 10 years and no periods, had to have it surgically removed last year as it was embedded. If you want more children, I would advise against....in my case Ive had my family- but menopause at 37 is kinda early x
  • Allup2Me78
    Options
    MY DR IS WANTING TO DO IT LIKE PUTTING ME UNDER AND I DNT WANT THAT..IS THERE NOT ANOTHER WAY IT CAN BE DONE???
    I had a hysterectomy, and I am a nurse, worked in OB/GYN, use to assist the docs with Novasure procedure...seemed painful per my patients, but nothing but amazing results reported afterwards.
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I was supposed to have it in-office back in August. But, it didn't go well (they actually over-medicated me in my opinion), and they decided not to do it. So, I had to reschedule for December and I'm going to have it done at the hospital under total sedation. But, I have heard great things about it (although it doesn't work for everyone), and I'm looking forward to it. I also have HBP and can't take pills or shots, so it was about my only other option.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I had an endometrial ablation (don't know if it was Novasure). Anyway, it didn't hurt, but it didn't stop the bleeding and my anemia continued to worsen. The hysterectomy worked great and fixed the problem. I needed blood transfusions before the surgery, and that was the worst part, because they put the needle in the wrong spot and my arm became painfully swollen with blood before they came to fix it. That was 5 years ago, and I still have an occasional hot flash (more of a heat wave--no "flash" about it). Still, that small annoyance is much better than not being able to move without getting out of breath. Try the easier route, and if it doesn't work, you have another option. It's worth the inconvenience.

I don't see your age. If you want to make babies, you won't want to have either procedure. Good luck!
  • Allup2Me78
    Options
    SEE...& I AM TERRIFIED OF BEING PUT UNDER! :(
    I was supposed to have it in-office back in August. But, it didn't go well (they actually over-medicated me in my opinion), and they decided not to do it. So, I had to reschedule for December and I'm going to have it done at the hospital under total sedation. But, I have heard great things about it (although it doesn't work for everyone), and I'm looking forward to it. I also have HBP and can't take pills or shots, so it was about my only other option.
  • Allup2Me78
    Options
    TY FOR THE REPLY! I AM 34 AND NO MORE BABIES...TUBES ARE TIED. I HAVE SEVERE ANEMIA AND HAVE HAD TO HAD IRON TRANSFUSIONS...SO I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ASAP :(
    I had an endometrial ablation (don't know if it was Novasure). Anyway, it didn't hurt, but it didn't stop the bleeding and my anemia continued to worsen. The hysterectomy worked great and fixed the problem. I needed blood transfusions before the surgery, and that was the worst part, because they put the needle in the wrong spot and my arm became painfully swollen with blood before they came to fix it. That was 5 years ago, and I still have an occasional hot flash (more of a heat wave--no "flash" about it). Still, that small annoyance is much better than not being able to move without getting out of breath. Try the easier route, and if it doesn't work, you have another option. It's worth the inconvenience.

I don't see your age. If you want to make babies, you won't want to have either procedure. Good luck!
  • katybug0421
    Options
    I really recommend Implanon. Its also a stick in your arm. I felt it for about a week after, but now I don't feel it at all. It stays in for three years. I'm actually really happy that it stopped my period completely!
  • KellyMirth
    Options
    I had the ablation done 7 years ago at the same time as I had my tubes tied (so I was out for it) and haven't had a period since. It was the best thing I ever did and I would do it again in a heartbeat.