Hanging abdomen!!

Options
Ok, yesterday, I asked about muffin top, and thanks for all your responses, they were great. Forgot to ask, hoping again I am not the only one out there with this problem, but does any one have a really saggiing, fatty, lower abdomen that just hangs there?? My Dr. said is is commonly referred to as an apron. This is TMI,, but when I sit in down there the thing is resting on my thighs!!! I had it. My husband says to get a tummy tuck if I want, really don't want to do that,

For all you great fitness people, will it go away with diet and exerciese or will I always have this sitting on my thighs no matter what??

Anyone have any good exercises for it???

Would love any help!!

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will go away with diet and exercise. I have belly hang also, but it's lessening. I have seen a LOT of pics in the success stories board of women who got rid of their belly hang.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Kind of sort of goes but not easily and if you're older (I'm 55) it's still loose. I'm good to my navel but then there 's this "apron" of looser skin and no matter how much I lose or how much I exercise it's still there. I can't see it really standing up now but when I sit it's right there again! Good news is that muffin top is gone!
  • KatieT451956
    Options
    Thanks so much. There is hope out there!!
  • KatieT451956
    Options
    I am 56, so I am 1 up on ya.LOL Exercise,exercise,excerise!!!!

Thanks so much!!
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Moisturizing helps a lot too. I use coconut oil and aloe everyday on my stomach area. Dry skin won't shrink up as easily.
  • KatieT451956
    Options
    Thanks so much1
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I followed all the suggestions and its not going away. Seriously...years of moistuizing, exercise, water...all that. Surgery is my only option if its not gone in the next 25 pounds. Seeing how much better it looks is no consolation since its still bad.

It makes a big difference if you have more or less to lose.
  • leaffan12
    leaffan12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nana6380__Chris
    nana6380__Chris Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wizbeth1218
    wizbeth1218 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    For all you great fitness people, will it go away with diet and exerciese or will I always have this sitting on my thighs no matter what??

Would love any help!!

Ugh! I have a fat apron. Ugh again! That's all I can say about it.

I'm so glad you asked and I want to see all the positive responses. Please please please let there be only positive responses! :)
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Bump.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    People do see improvement in their skin after a few years, so if it doesn't happen right away don't give up hope.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    bump
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Ok, yesterday, I asked about muffin top, and thanks for all your responses, they were great. Forgot to ask, hoping again I am not the only one out there with this problem, but does any one have a really saggiing, fatty, lower abdomen that just hangs there?? My Dr. said is is commonly referred to as an apron. This is TMI,, but when I sit in down there the thing is resting on my thighs!!! I had it. My husband says to get a tummy tuck if I want, really don't want to do that,

Would love any help!!

Mine went away once I lost the fat. It's all about losing the fat. Exercise builds the lean body mass and makes it pretty for when the fat is gone.

We are all different. I am short and ab exercises actually makes my waist thicker. The only thing that got rid of fat was a calorie deficit. I've had the fat flabby tummy for 20 years, it's gone since last year, from a calorie deficit. Since then I've done experiments with ab exercises and they only effect the lean body mass under the fat.

Oh and I'm a little younger than you, 52.
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I definitely have this, although it's a LOT better at 247 than it was at 340. I'm hoping that it will get a lot better after another 50-60 pounds.
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I too have the apron. But, I am told that it is something that takes time. A lot of time. I still have a lot of weight to lose and refuse to worry about it until I am closer to my goal weight. I am almost 1/2 way there. I am 35 and drink a lot of water. I moisterize daily and I can tell you that there was a time about 16 months ago after my first 30 pounds that I looked in the mirror and couldn't see my ... "personal area" ... at all. It was hidden behind this nasty hanging flab of funk. Now, not only can I see my ... "personal area" ... but I can even see the top of my pubic line. The apron is still there, it still hangs like a disgusting dead flap, but it is improving.

I am super hesistant to get any sort of surgery. I am a bleeder, anesthetics (sp?) dont work well on me, a slow healer and a terrible patient ... I have to find a way to lose/lessen the apron without surgery. I can tell you that cardio helps the fat burn off, but core strengthing exercises (like weight bearing exercises) have made the biggest difference in the size of my apron. The more core exercises I do, the smaller it gets.

Good luck!
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I hate to burst everyones bubble, but no it will not go away...especially for women who have had kids. After substantial weight loss instead of sagging fat you will have oodles of skin. No amount of moisturizer will help that. Once you reach your goall weight treat yourself to a tummy tuck!
  • suzie308
    Options
    I'm just about to turn 65 so I really don't expect my excess belly to go away. I just know that I will get into smaller jeans and let the jeans hold it in. I have a problem with hanging skin on my legs too. In 1990 I had lost 90 lbs and was 20 lbs to my goal weight. I had asked my doctor if there was any exercise to get rid of it and I was told - no - surgery was the only answer. Sorry, I know you wanted a different answer. Needless to say I took care of the problem by gaining all the weight back - plus. I'm now working on losing again and I don't ever plan on getting into a bathing suit without a little skirt.
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    TheNEWMonicaB Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have it and it is the part of my body that I am most uncomfortable with/disgusted by/self-conscious of by far. I have lost 43 lbs and it is getting less full of fat, but the hanging level has not changed that much. I still have a ways to go, so I am hoping that it will continue to shrink. If the fat is mostly gone and I am still left with a little saggy skin, I think I can deal with it., but we'll see when I get there. I have seen some pretty amazing before and after pics on here though that give me hope. Good luck to us all! The only apron I want to be wearing is in the kitchen when I am cooking. :wink:
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine with watching what I eat and exercise. It takes time but it can be done. I've been here over a year and it is paying off and I'm 56.