Tonsil surgery as an adult???

Options
Hello everyone... I am 36 years old and am scheduled to have my tonsils removed in January due to recurrent strep throat infections. The ENT has warned me that the recovery will be difficult and painful and the few people that I have talked to have said that the recovery was the worst few weeks/month of their life. Has anyone on here had this surgery as an adult? If so, what kinds of things were you able to tolerate eating? How long did your recovery take? Any complications? I would appreciate any feedback, advice, or personal stories you have to share... Thank you!!!!

Replies

• XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    My friend had it done. Was worst pain in her life she couldnt stop puking and could eat for days it took her a while to recover, it was the worst thing she ever went through she said. So with that being said GOOD LUCK hope its not as bad a recovery as hers was.
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    TheNEWMonicaB Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My friend had it done. Was worst pain in her life she couldnt stop puking and could eat for days it took her a while to recover, it was the worst thing she ever went through she said. So with that being said GOOD LUCK hope its not as bad a recovery as hers was.

Thanks for the response... That has pretty much been the response from all the people I have talked to. I was thinking if I could just find 1 example of someone who said it was not so bad, it would give me some hope. I am not too sure that will happen though... :tongue:
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i had mine as an adult... it was literally the most painful thing ive ever gone through... i didnt find any relief for two whole weeks... was miserable... i could only eat liquids and that was against my will lol

also the pain meds they put me on were making me very ill (opiates make me vomit) and my wounds got infected.. had to go back to the hospital for a strong antibiotic shot

but yea i ate cold chicken broth , sometimes with noodles... they say dont eat hot things... i ate popsicles too. i was hungry and all but the pain just wasnt worth it lol
  • neon7girl
    neon7girl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I had it done about your age. Pain, yes. Swelling- they don't tell you that, use ice packs on your neck/jaw area. Couldn't talk normally for 4 weeks, but it definitely was worth it. I rarely have throat issues whereas before it was 1 week out of 4 that I had infections. Make them give you liquid pain meds to use at home!!!! I didn't have anesthesia issues, no vomiting, etc. Everyone is different (I am a nurse) so don't let all negative things sway your decision.
  • melissalynnlarue
    melissalynnlarue Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yep, been there done that... yes, very painful... sleep lots, use ice packs, if you have Booster Juice where you live, you can do that... smoothies... jello... I couldn't tolerate narcotic painkillers so I slept with tylenol on board as much as I could. The first few days are the worst. You'll be fine!
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi, had mine out at 33 and it was bad for the first 2 days, okay and not a big deal for the next 4-5 and then bad all over again 6-9 or so when the scabs start coming off. biggest thing is to keep hydrated so they dont get crusty and painful. I was drinking non stop and loved popsicles!! the liquid pain meds will get you through, it is not fun but you can get through it! i had a little bleeding around day 5 or so that resolved, so dont let that scare you unless it starts really pouring. we dont heal as fast as little kids and post op bleeding is biggest risk. good luck! i have taken care of numerous patients post operation and always thought they were exaggerating. yeah, not so much.
  • stines72
    Options
    Yep, been there done that... yes, very painful... sleep lots, use ice packs, if you have Booster Juice where you live, you can do that... smoothies... jello... I couldn't tolerate narcotic painkillers so I slept with tylenol on board as much as I could. The first few days are the worst. You'll be fine!

sleep..... LOL!

ALSO.. ask for a lidocaine lollipop!!!
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I had my tonsils taken out at age 26. Was told it'd be awful, but they used some new procedure that I was actually the first adult they had done it on here at our hospital and recovery was quick and easy! Sorry don't remember what the thing they used was called. I could talk the next day and was eating sandwiches. But however they do it and even if you're feeling good stay on top of your pain meds! Don't wait till your in horrible pain to take anything.

Edit: I probably shouldn't of had a sandwich the day after... maybe even a week after, forgot about the scabs. Actually I think the nurse did call me the next day and told me I needed to take it easy!
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I did it at 40! I totally wanted it done due to the fact that I kept getting tonsil stones - bacteria pockets that smelled really bad and I didn't want to be the grandma with the bad breath. Was it painful? Heck yea! I found that hot was better than cold. I lived on tea & vicodin for a good week. Was it worth it? YES!
  • sandyrrt
    sandyrrt Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had it done about 15 years ago. I must warn you that you will most likely experience alot of pain especially when swallowing. I got relief by chewing Aspergum, but then I found out I could have caused major bleeding because of the aspirin in it (duh! I should have known as I am a respiratory therapist---but I was desperate!!). Anyway, give yourself a couple of days, then start gently gargling with warm salt water. Jello, ice cream, cream potatoes--anything soft and easy to swallow. You will probably experience significant pain for a least a week. Hope I haven't scared you off from the surgery. I haven't had any more problems since mine were removed:)
  • kclynn7
    Options
    I had mine out a couple years ago for the same reason. Worst pain ever. I woke up in tears. It feels like you swallowed a handful of glass and roofing nails :( on the bright side, I haven't had strep since! So, it was worth it. Make sure you have a lot of Italian ice, and I ate soup for every meal! The place down the street knew my bf by name since he was ordering pints of soup all day long. They will tell you not to eat anything spicy, LISTEN! I ate a different kind of soup that I normally wouldn't find spicy and it burned really bad! Good luck :)
  • stines72
    Options
    also i should add it was totally worth it... i NEVER get sore throats, ever. i also had my adenoids out along with my tonsils so maybe thats why mine was so bad.. double whammy
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    Options
    I had it done about your age. Pain, yes. Swelling- they don't tell you that, use ice packs on your neck/jaw area. Couldn't talk normally for 4 weeks, but it definitely was worth it. I rarely have throat issues whereas before it was 1 week out of 4 that I had infections. Make them give you liquid pain meds to use at home!!!! I didn't have anesthesia issues, no vomiting, etc. Everyone is different (I am a nurse) so don't let all negative things sway your decision.

Good to hear about the swelling... That is a new one. And I would not have thought about liquid pain meds... Another good idea! Thanks for the feedback. I am nervious in general as I have never had surgery other than my wisdom teeth being removed, but I am crossing my fingers that it will not be terribly bad.
  • Capegirl8013
    Capegirl8013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 35, had mine done in March because of recurrent strep too - for about a year prior I had a sore throat every single day. I won't lie - it was really awful.

I had mine done on a Friday afternoon. The first weekend was fine, some pain and discomfort but manageable. Around the 3rd day post surgery I felt like I had been hit by a truck - I had a lot of ear pain and tongue pain. Things that helped were a neck pillow, a flexible ice pack for around my neck and a heatable first aid pack for around my ears - it really helped. I also took the liquid percocet around the clock for eight days straight - I set the alarm on my phone, would wake up in the middle of the night to do it. It was really the only way I could deal with the pain.

The Saturday a week after my surgery I started trying to wean myself off the percocet and only took it at night. I was ok for most of that day, but around 5 pm I hit a wall and was crying from the pain; I think that was the lowest point. And, as many websites will tell you, the next day I woke up feeling a little bit more like myself again! The second week I was still sore and very tired, but I felt like a human instead of a lump!

Foods that were good - instant mashed potatoes (they're smoother than real ones and can be watered down), jello, water ice, instant macaroni and cheese really really overcooked.

Good luck - while it was an awful experience, I am sooooo glad I did it. Haven't had a single sore throat in the eight months since the surgery and no more strep!
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed last year when I was 29. To be honest, I was prepared for the worst and it wasn't that terrible. The first few days were uncomfortable, I had a difficult time taking the pain meds and antibotics. But my mother, who is a nurse told me that I'd regret not taking all the meds and I forced them down. Day one and two post opt are pretty hazy. I slept the majority of the time, and had a bit of difficulty finding something I could drink. The best thing I found to drink was room temperature gatoraid and apple juice. After three days of only gatoraid and apple juice I upped the ante to include warm jello (not set), sorbet and chicken with rice soup (warm). By day five I was eating soft foods and on day 8 my doctor cleared me to eat solid foods, resume exercising and go back to work. I had scheduled a two week medical leave from my job and spent the second week having a "stay-cation".

The big things that I believe helped me in a swift recovery were the following:
    -dedication to taking meds and having someone (my mother) to take care of me for the first 48 hours
    -taking ample time off of work
    -sleeping insane amounts
    -crummy trashy magazines (people, US, etc)
    -gatoraid (seriously, stock up on it...)
    -being excited to lose weight (lost 13lbs in two weeks.. and it stayed off)
    -having a positive attitude

you're going to do just fine. best of luck.
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the feedback! Dealing with the scabs sounds the grossest/scariest, but I will take all of this advice so I can make it through as smooth as possible. I do look forward to not having strep anymore. That is no fun at all. At least the surgery is one and done. I am not as worried about going under anesthesia now that I have lost 43 lbs, and hopefully 15-20 more by the surgery on mid January.
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    Options
    I'm 35, had mine done in March because of recurrent strep too - for about a year prior I had a sore throat every single day. I won't lie - it was really awful.

I had mine done on a Friday afternoon. The first weekend was fine, some pain and discomfort but manageable. Around the 3rd day post surgery I felt like I had been hit by a truck - I had a lot of ear pain and tongue pain. Things that helped were a neck pillow, a flexible ice pack for around my neck and a heatable first aid pack for around my ears - it really helped. I also took the liquid percocet around the clock for eight days straight - I set the alarm on my phone, would wake up in the middle of the night to do it. It was really the only way I could deal with the pain.

The Saturday a week after my surgery I started trying to wean myself off the percocet and only took it at night. I was ok for most of that day, but around 5 pm I hit a wall and was crying from the pain; I think that was the lowest point. And, as many websites will tell you, the next day I woke up feeling a little bit more like myself again! The second week I was still sore and very tired, but I felt like a human instead of a lump!

Foods that were good - instant mashed potatoes (they're smoother than real ones and can be watered down), jello, water ice, instant macaroni and cheese really really overcooked.

Good luck - while it was an awful experience, I am sooooo glad I did it. Haven't had a single sore throat in the eight months since the surgery and no more strep!

Thank you so much and I am so glad to hear that you are doing well 8 months later. I am sure that makes those rough couple of weeks more than worth it! :smile:
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi, had mine out at 33 and it was bad for the first 2 days, okay and not a big deal for the next 4-5 and then bad all over again 6-9 or so when the scabs start coming off. biggest thing is to keep hydrated so they dont get crusty and painful. I was drinking non stop and loved popsicles!! the liquid pain meds will get you through, it is not fun but you can get through it! i had a little bleeding around day 5 or so that resolved, so dont let that scare you unless it starts really pouring. we dont heal as fast as little kids and post op bleeding is biggest risk. good luck! i have taken care of numerous patients post operation and always thought they were exaggerating. yeah, not so much.

The bleeding for me was REALLY bad, it started like pouring out... That the risk tho!! Plus I don't think I drink enough water, juice!!!
  • Ivy_leaves
    Ivy_leaves Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had my tonsils removed as a teenager. But I had a serious tonsil infection at the time(it was actually an emergency surgery because my recurrent strep turned into this horrid infection). My surgery took 3x as long as normal, so maybe my opinion will help. They used a laser to get them out, I think that is what they always use now - it cauterizes the wound. So expect it to taste like a bonfire when you wake up. Yes it is quite painful when you wake up, but it gets better fast! It hurts, but strep is nearly as bad. Take the painkillers they give you, and it won't be that awful. It's definitely not the worst pain ever, I had mono and that was 10x more painful. Try not to get too worried about it, I can nearly guarantee you've experienced as bad or worse if you have to have them removed. Your health will improve so much too - I hardly ever get sick compared to the way I used to! Hang in there. (;
  • alopezz
    Options
    I had mine done when I was 26. I would rather give birth 3 more times!!!! It was horrible and I wasn't able to work for 8 days after.