Feeling pretty bummed...

Options
A lot of people seem to be showing differences with the 30 Day Shred, but I don't see much at all on myself. I didn't have something to measure myself with on day 1 so I don't have anything to compare. My weight hasn't gone down even though I've done it every day. I do have a measuring tape now but don't know where exactly to measure.
Also I started to watch my calories at day 7 or 8, and I can't seem to keep my food intake at 1200. I keep wanting to snack and eat a lot.
For the first week or so I was happy and had a decent sleeping schedule and work out schedule. I looked forward to working out. Now I feel super low, drained and tired. I've limited my Pepsi/chocolate and junk food intake to once a week, so I think the lack of it is causing my energy to drop. Many mornings I've woken up and wished I could continue to sleep forever, and have postponed my work out until late at night. The only thing I got going for me is that I haven't missed a day, but I really want to.
Also I talked about the soreness in my legs to my friends and they think they are shin splints? Either way it gets hard to work through.

Anyway, I'm down in the dumps that I'm almost halfway through the 30DS and don't see a difference, and that my will power with food is nonexistent. (If you look at my diary you will see McDonalds.)

Anyone out there having similar problems? :(

Replies

• Ribbons390
    Options
    As of now I have done at least 13 days of the 30DS.
  • malystrasza
    Options
    Hi there!

We can't really see your food diary!

I also would like to ask if there is a specific reason you are eating at 1200? Did MFP set that or are you under medical supervision. Sometimes 1200 may be too low for some people. You can search Google for a TDEE calculator and then once you have that number subtract 20-30% and that should give a better idea of how much you should be eating for your activity level. Without seeing your diary, I can guess that could be a factor in why you're feeling the lack of energy; perhaps that you're not getting enough calories, but again that depends on your TDEE..
  • Ribbons390
    Options
    Oh. I looked all over the place and didn't see an option for hiding the diary, so I assumed it was showing. I'd put it to public if I could.

I told MFP my weight, my weight goals, and put it so I would lose the maximum weight per week, which was 2LB. It then told me I should eat 1200 calories a day. When I add my 30DS, or the "circuit training" I gain approximately 200 calories. I was told by a few friends that if I eat the 1200+ the additional 200, then I won't lose weight. If I eat only 1200, and ignore the extra 200 I gain, then I will lose weight.

Besides the work out I do each day, I am extremely sedentary. I sit all day at work in front of a computer, and my hobbies also have me sitting all the time at a computer. :(
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Oh. I looked all over the place and didn't see an option for hiding the diary, so I assumed it was showing. I'd put it to public if I could.

I told MFP my weight, my weight goals, and put it so I would lose the maximum weight per week, which was 2LB. It then told me I should eat 1200 calories a day. When I add my 30DS, or the "circuit training" I gain approximately 200 calories. I was told by a few friends that if I eat the 1200+ the additional 200, then I won't lose weight. If I eat only 1200, and ignore the extra 200 I gain, then I will lose weight.

Besides the work out I do each day, I am extremely sedentary. I sit all day at work in front of a computer, and my hobbies also have me sitting all the time at a computer. :(

When you are in the diary, click on the "settings" tab on the Food ribbon. Bottom of the page. Pick one

I would reccomend you push yourself harder. I am not familiar with them lady workouts, I just run, bike, and elliptical, and I am KILLING IT! Sometimes you will hit walls like this. I have not yet hit a wall, but I know that I will, and I yearn and cry for the day that I can run a 6 min mile. I am a long way off (check my blog, and the last entry tells you where I am and where I want to be in a month). I intend to fulfill all 5 goals, and that is what pushed me to increase my time on the treadmill at 6 mph even though my lungs burn, my eyes are salty, and my heart is about to explode at 185 bpm.

Push yourself. if it does not hurt like you just lost your virginity, it is not changing anything (that is, of course, an assumption, but you get the point).
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    In addition, your caloric intake is set at a calorie deficit right off the bat. If you want to lose 1 lb per week, your deficit is 500. If you want to lose 2, it is 1000. So check your settings.

This page is more like a guide. I do not follow it religiously. But it is very simplistic, and it is free. Weigh loss is that simple, calories/nutrients in, calories/nutrients out. If you take in more than your body can process in a given day, you will gain weight.

Btw....200 calories in 1/2 hour is rather low for a workout. It means you are not going at a high intensity level. Decide how you want to do it, but you only get out what you put in. Keep that in mind. It is like buying a car, essentially. The nice, fancy cars cost more, and take more effort to maintain and keep looking nice.
  • malystrasza
    Options
    From glancing at your diet, you're getting a lot of carbs from chocolates, sweet drinks and such, and not much protein. I think upping your protein should help you feel more energized, and try to control the carbs from your sweets and eating out. Its going to be tough, but baby steps! If you must eat out, try looking for meals with more protein or other healthier options. Maybe limit yourself to one treat a day to start? Also, if you must have a soda, you can look into those zero calorie sodas. When I get soda cravings, I drink a Sprite zero and I get my soda fix without the added calories.

Also, as a fellow gamer, I know we don't get much sleep sometimes ;) , but try to get as much rest as you can. I've found that when I sleep more, I lose better, and also my muscles recover. So try to get some good sleep too!

Good luck :)
  • tellascott
    Options
    Hi, First off i want to say not to get discouraged and that judging by your profile picture you are adorable the way you are. If I may make a suggestion based on your diary...and I am only saying this because my entire weight gain had been from being too busy to make food and it was easier to go out to mcdonalds and eat or grab a tim hortons coffee and things like that. I cut those all out, and started bringing my lunch, which was a chore in itself but it was so much cheaper that I used the money I was saving as the incentive. I figured out that eating out for lunch daily cost me between 10-18 dollars a day. Say 20 work days in a month and that was 360 a month I was now saving, not including the gas to get to and from the fast food places.

I also started really reading labels...for example i saw you had 4 bacon that was 340 calories..i have myself gone tot he butterball turkey bacon and its 4 slices for about 140 calories. I used to do the bacon and eggs every weekend and by changing my bacon, switching tot he wonder bread plus bread (2 slices 130 calories) and getting the omega 3 eggs, i cut off about 300-400 calories from that meal alone and was able to eat more and still not go over my allotment, as well i was getting more nutrition. I have also started making more home made meals..crock pot stews, home made soups and things like that. Way less calories than the store bought things and a heck of a lot healthier and it feeds me for supper and also gives me lunch for work the next day.

I also set myself at 1200 calories per day with the mind set that i know i should be eating around 1600 and I should still lose weight at that. I find if i keep to 1200 then when i fall off the wagon on a day or snack a bit more, I always have that wiggle room so I don't feel guilty about it. I was actually eating way less and caught hell from a friend so now I am making sure I eat a bit more than my 1200 a day and it seems to be losing me my weight finally.

Not saying my way is correct or anyone's way is, but it has worked for me so figured I'd stick it out there. The weight is slow coming off me too and it's so darn easy to get discouraged, so when i do start to and think ahhh I want mcdonalds..I remind myself about the money I have saved up til now, stick to my diet and go out and buy myself a new computer game or book with that money instead and reward myself. My latest reward was a wii fit which has made a huge difference with toning. Even on my laziest days I can turn it on and get in 20 minutes of yoga and at least I've done something and can feel better about that candy bar I just snacked on. LOL
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Ooh, yes. you lose about 2-4 lbs in sleep, dependin on your length of sleep. about 90% of it is losing gained weight from the day, but none the less....
    Also, I learned that if you give your body certain proteins, it gives it something to knaw on all night, and it will burn more calories....Pretty weird, but pretty cool! I drink a glass of milk before bed, and it works like a charm!
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    Based upon the fact you drink pepsi and eat chocolate, and eat at mcdonald's , don't know your weight, calories.............I think maybe you shouldn't of done this. Don't get me wrong, healthy people eat chocolate at times, mcdonald's, and pepsi, but just by your writing, I'm assuming your new to this whole thing. Maybe just start by doing some basic exercises, staying within your calorie count, drinking a lot of water, and maybe you'll see a difference without the 30 day shred. I've logged my food for nearly a month, have done my best to re adjust my sugar intake because it was high when I started, and do some exercising almost every day. I do have one big advantage over you, I'm over 200 lbs, so it'll come off me easier than you. The best to you regardless!
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Have you tried the Mcdonalds Chocolate and Pepsi diet? lol ok.....now I get it. She eats non-essential foods that completely take apart any diet program, and are packed with sodium, and works out minimally....and then wants to ask why she is not losing weight?

you really do need to put more effort into this. Tons more. you have been eating like crap for a while. Hotdogs, french fries, chocolate....those have no nutrient value....

So put down what you have been eating, cook something up that has ingredients instead of brand names, and you will see a difference. If you do not know how nutrients work, pick up a book at Wal-mart and learn about it.

I am not trying to be mean, and it may seem like i am in this text, but I mean it with the utmost respect. But you have to recognize what you are doing wrong. So educate yourself, make changes, and go for it.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    From glancing at your diet, you're getting a lot of carbs from chocolates, sweet drinks and such, and not much protein. I think upping your protein should help you feel more energized, and try to control the carbs from your sweets and eating out. Its going to be tough, but baby steps! If you must eat out, try looking for meals with more protein or other healthier options. Maybe limit yourself to one treat a day to start? Also, if you must have a soda, you can look into those zero calorie sodas. When I get soda cravings, I drink a Sprite zero and I get my soda fix without the added calories.

Also, as a fellow gamer, I know we don't get much sleep sometimes ;) , but try to get as much rest as you can. I've found that when I sleep more, I lose better, and also my muscles recover. So try to get some good sleep too!

her diet is fine, protein intake is over rated.

Pu - that might be your opinion, but from personal experience - if I get the munchies constantly - which OP says she is struggling with - an increase in protein is a very successful way to get satiated - and many others will tell you the same thing. Frankly OP needs ideas to experiment with to find what works for her - everyone is different!
  • JosephVitte
    Options

her diet is fine, protein intake is over rated.

Pu - that might be your opinion, but from personal experience - if I get the munchies constantly - which OP says she is struggling with - an increase in protein is a very successful way to get satiated - and many others will tell you the same thing. Frankly OP needs ideas to experiment with to find what works for her - everyone is different!

I agree with this...............plus, try Doritos............there very yummy, and a lot better than chocolate and pepsi. Throw a pork chop in between a few of them, cooked with bell peppers and onions, red peppers........some salad.........wow, dinner was good!
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    do not take words out of my mouth. I did say "calories/nutrients in, calories/nutrients out" or maybe you need to go back and read it again.

I am not going to argue with you, because you seem to know more about things than everyone else. I have seen you post that exact phrase elsewhere, "your diet is fine, protein is overrated." McD? Frozen Fries? 240 calorie pepsi? Get a life dude, and actually pay for advertisement as a personal trainer instead of getting people to check out your website. That is all.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I can only say from my experience with 30DS and what others have posted - a LOT of people seem to experience the kind of loss of motivation you describe half way through Level 2. I really didn't enjoy Level 2 and basically had to force my way through it, mostly by doing it every other day.

I got really sore thighs in level 1, which wasn't too bad, but in level 2 I got painful knees, which worried me a lot more. I took two days off, and that seemed to give them a chance to get stronger, cause they didn't hurt when I got back to it. I would consider taking a day or two off to give yourself a break.

In terms of results, I didn't see major changes like the pictures that have been posted. I lost 2 inches from my chest (boo) and 2 inches from the upper and middle part of my waist (yey!) but nothing from hips, thighs or arms. I took photos every 5 days or so, and there is not a major change, but I can see a bit of a difference, particularly in my waist. I lost 3 kg overall and I was pretty good at calorie tracking.

I definitely ate back most if not all of the calories. I aimed to net 1400 per day, but if I "earnt" 250 more through the shred, I ate all of those. I would not have been able to stick with it if I was only eating 1200 and not eating back exercise calories. It's fuel for the next day's work out, so I'm not surprised you are feeling exhausted.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Deary me, there is a lot of fail in this thread.

OP: If you are exercising, especially as you do not have than much weight to lose you should be eating your exercise calories back. By not doing so you are creating a large deficit that is impacting your energy levels. This is one of the main problems with large deficits - you get tired, do not work out as much, your NEAT decreases, your TDEE goes down and you can no longer lose weight at that level and have to drop calories again - its a viscous cycle and some are more susceptible to it than others and the leaner you get the more susceptible you often get.

So, I would suggest:

1) eating at least some of your exercise calories back
    2) set yourself at a reasonable activity level (sedentary is just that - basically doing nothing. I have a desk job and do very little outside planned exercise and mine is between lightly active and active )
    3) set yourself at a reasonable weight loss 1/2 - 1lb a week,
    4) log ALL your food accurately. Use a scale/measuring cups and spoons
    5) while weight loss is calories in/calories out, it helps to keep a balanced diet with fruit veggies and mix of fats and enough protein for health and body composition purposes.

Be patient.
  • JosephVitte
    Options

OP: If you are exercising, especially as you do not have than much weight to lose you should be eating your exercise calories back. By not doing so you are creating a large deficit that is impacting your energy levels. This is one of the main problems with large deficits - you get tired, do not work out as much, your NEAT decreases, your TDEE goes down and you can no longer lose weight at that level and have to drop calories again - its a viscous cycle and some are more susceptible to it than others and the leaner you get the more susceptible you often get.

So, I would suggest:

2) set yourself at a reasonable activity level (sedentary is just that - basically doing nothing. I have a desk job and do very little outside planned exercise and mine is between lightly active and active )
    5) while weight loss is calories in/calories out, it helps to keep a balanced diet with fruit veggies and mix of fats and enough protein for health and body composition purposes.

Be patient.

You call "us" the fail thread, but you just said everything we just said! Okay, maybe not me, but everyone else. Talk about stuck up.........try eating something every once in awhile!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

So, I would suggest:

Be patient.

You call "us" the fail thread, but you just said everything we just said! Okay, maybe not me, but everyone else. Talk about stuck up.........try eating something every once in awhile!

LOL - you are funny. I ate 2,200 calories today and I average 2,000 - how much do you eat, and how much do you net?. And I like the way you assume that I was not talking about you, when I was mainly talking about your posts. And obviously reading comprehension is in short supply because my post was nothing like yours and did not give the same advice in the slightest.

And your misogynistic slant is coming through again darling...
  • QuietLegs
    Options
    Hey Ribbons, sorry to hear you're feeling bummed =/

Hope you're ignoring the troll, and listening to the great advice of some of the others, particularly Sarauk2sf.

All I can say is that sometimes during my heavy cutting / burn periods, I feel sluggish, tired, and faint when I stand up too quickly. I take it as a sign that I need to sit down (probably literally), and reevaluate where I'm at, and what I'm doing. Sometimes I push myself too hard, or in the wrong direction, and my body begins to rebel.

Sometimes it's a question of getting my macros wrong - maybe I need more carbs to fuel the intense workouts, or maybe I need more protein to rebuild my muscles. Or maybe I need more vitamins and minerals, and need to up my intake of vegetables and fruit.

It's not always easy eating the right amount of or the right kind of foods, while still maintaining intense exercise, but I have faith that you can do it! Just don't let a few setbacks stop you, and don't lose faith in your goals and actions. No matter what little progress you may see right now, if you stick with a good plan, you'll really amaze yourself.
  • JosephVitte
    Options

So, I would suggest:

Be patient.

LOL - you are funny. I ate 2,200 calories today and I average 2,000 - how much do you eat, and how much do you net?. And I like the way you assume that I was not talking about you, when I was mainly talking about your posts. And obviously reading comprehension is in short supply because my post was nothing like yours and did not give the same advice in the slightest.

if you were talking about me, your giving me way too much credit, obviously. There is very intelligent conversation in this thread, whether you agree with the poster or not, mine.............comeon, can you take it seriously, I only mention in nearly every thread that I comment to in this type of form, that I'm NEW to all this. Geez, I'm falling for you antic's now. Oh and how many calories do I eat..................many.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

So, I would suggest:

Be patient.

if you were talking about me, your giving me way too much credit, obviously. There is very intelligent conversation in this thread, whether you agree with the poster or not, mine.............comeon, can you take it seriously, I only mention in nearly every thread that I comment to in this type of form, that I'm NEW to all this. Geez, I'm falling for you antic's now. Oh and how many calories do I eat..................many.

I honestly cannot understand what you are saying.