Interest check: virtual cooking lessons

Options
bodyrollin
bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
Ok so I've been thinking about this for a little while, so I thought I'd see if I could drum up any interest...I have a go pro camera and a rebel t2i that also shoots full hd video, and I'm thinking about starting a series on how to cook stuff...my thought was to post a poll once every week or so seeing what people want to see cooked/learn to cook the most and creating a tutorial of how to...just an idea...but with enough interest I'll do it...all for free of course...

So what do ya think?

Replies

• walkiemcwalkerson
    Options
    I think its a great idea. It would make it easier to understand exactly what u mean by a pinch of something when they can c it.. would also give u someone to cook with step by step so you know that u r doing the right step at the right time.. some learn by hands on some learn from reading and some learn from seeing. I'm a little of all three and think this is a good idea
  • Marefr
    Marefr Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'd love it!
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    A lot of work for you, but a great idea and one I'd appreciate your taking the time to do :).
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    yes, yes, yes and let me think oh yeah, yes
  • bodyrollin
    Options
    Not quite the overwhelming response I was looking for, but hey...I'm gonna take the 5 people or so that wanted it and make one for them anyway.
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just read this, brilliant idea, I love watching cooking shows, so please do it
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Not quite the overwhelming response I was looking for, but hey...I'm gonna take the 5 people or so that wanted it and make one for them anyway.

You gotta give this thread time - you posted around 2pm yesterday - most of us still work and for today: not everyone is up yet...

Good luck with this though... if you would like some help, let me know. I previously worked as a chef for many years so if you want to ask for a few pointers, share some ideas, etc, Ill be more than happy to pitch in, if you would like!
  • bodyrollin
    Options
    Oh I know...didnt expect a flood seeing as how nobody really know my background or anything, so I figure I'll make a "pilot" type episode...then depending on the reception of that, possibly make more...only reason I figured there may be more response is just because of the success of the last thread I did "food questions? Ask me anything" there were so many questions so quick that I just figured visual aid would be a great idea. As for the assistance I was thinking about it before you had mentioned it and I thought if it takes off, and people like it I thought it might be neat to have some guests...I live near Tampa...so people that live around me as far as input for recipes or processes I can always learn more and I'd give due credit to whomever helped contribute (such as yourself) but isn't local enough to join live.
  • honeybee1036
    honeybee1036 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I love to watch videos on how to make different foods. Looking forward to it.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you'd need an angle to set yourself apart from existing websites, videos (& cooking superstars - there's a whole network that just does that). Food questions might work. I'd look at that thread you mention and look for common (or unusual, but sellable) questions.

With recipes and tips, personally, what I do is look for text based stuff I can print off to refer to while I cook, or save to a .txt file. But maybe for someone just learning basics, or for very sophisticated cooks looking to learn special tricks or off the beaten track dishes, I can see the value of a video (vs website/text).

That said: just looked at some of your dishes, and they look great.

Also, obviously, not everyone is like me! (But you did ask for an interest check)
  • bodyrollin
    Options
    Honestly, I think you'd need an angle to set yourself apart from existing websites, videos (& cooking superstars - there's a whole network that just does that). Food questions might work. I'd look at that thread you mention and look for common (or unusual, but sellable) questions.

With recipes and tips, personally, what I do is look for text based stuff I can print off to refer to while I cook, or save to a .txt file. But maybe for someone just learning basics, or for very sophisticated cooks looking to learn special tricks or off the beaten track dishes, I can see the value of a video (vs website/text).
    yeah there are tons of things out there, and famous people etc...but I'm not trying to be famous, or anything, I just thought it could be a fun project, and helpful to the few that may watch it...and how cool would it be if MFP had its own user controlled cooking program.

EDIT: I did ask for genuine opinions and I appreciate constructive feedback, be it positive or negative, either way. And if you want some pics of stuff I've done they're on that picture thread of what people's meals look like mine are on pgs 1&2
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I have a passion for cooking and watch the Foodnetwork channel all the time.
  • Lilylee757
    Lilylee757 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great idea. Can't wait for the pilot!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I would love it. I always love watching cooking shows.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I like that
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options

You gotta give this thread time - you posted around 2pm yesterday - most of us still work and for today: not everyone is up yet...

Good luck with this though... if you would like some help, let me know. I previously worked as a chef for many years so if you want to ask for a few pointers, share some ideas, etc, Ill be more than happy to pitch in, if you would like!

The other problem is that depending on how active the forum is, topics scroll off the 'Recent Posts' listing and the first page of the individual topics pages very quickly. A lot of folks tend to look at the first page and then move along. I think you'll have more interest as folks become more aware of it.

You posted a lot of great recipes and ideas on the other thread. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this idea :).
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great idea and nice of you to volunteer your time and expertise. I sometimes see posts with questions about basic cooking/meal preparation questions. Many people have not learned to cook or even choose and assemble healthy snacks. It may help some folks to see some different fruits/veggies and actually any ingredient and kitchen tool used in the kitchen and learn how to replace processed and prepared foods gradually with homemade, healthier (and cheaper) options. Being able to cook even on a basic level may help some folks appreciate food on a whole new level and give them a tool to succeed for the long term. I can find my way around in the kitchen as well as the grocery store (including the bulk food section) but I would be interested to seee what you can come up with. Again, these cooking lesson can go from very basic (fixing a nice sandwich, salad, fruit salad, soup) to using bulk food items like beans and lentils to whole meals and maybe baking. I really think some MFP users would appreciate to even see some items they have never used and see how to peel/eat/prepare them. :smile:
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I am in.
  • Losing2Live1989
    Losing2Live1989 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I would love that!!!!!!!!!! Please do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    It is a great idea and it will probably be very successful. I too love to cook and have rock star skills in the kitchen. Based on the people I talk to who are eager to learn but are challenged in the kitchen - they can't form a question about what they don't know. As they learn more they ask more questions. I thought your ask me anything thread was a great way to share your knowledge. I look forward to seeing the videos. :drinker: