Intermittent Fasting? - Sorry if this isn't new

Options
2»

Replies

• shiftysheep
    shiftysheep Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I used IF, it helped me get down to around 10% body fat & now it's helping me stay close to 10% body fat while bulking. I eat generally in a 4-6 hour eating window, at the minute it's 1pm-7pm & I eat 3500 calories in this eating window. But when I was losing weight I so eating 1pm-5pm, a four hour eating window & I would drop 1 eating window a week. So it would end up been a 36 hour fast once a week.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    When I first heard "fasting" diets....I was like huh? what? No food for 12 hours? ARGHH! But really....if you think about it....it's not all that bad.....

A buddy of mine mentioned his fast to me......he does a 12-hour fast EVERY DAY......basically, he shoots for a 10 p.m. bed time (college student....so he's got early classes), we've all heard about "not eating before bed" since you body supposidely slows down digestion during sleep or something.......soooooo.....he does not eat ANYTHING (only 0 calorie stuff.....basically, water) after 7 p.m......So, from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. the only thing he consumes is water ;)

Really....it's not all that bad.....I've done it a couple days already.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/

This might be worth a read. I don't do IF but I read this on another thread yesterday. It's about how IF may not work as well for women as it does for men, and why that might be the case. Spoiler alert-- hormones.

Again, I'm not able to vouch for the validity of this because I don't do IF, but it seems worth a mention.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Some like it and seem to find it useful. I lost plenty of weight w/o starving myself. Different strokes for different folks.

People who do IF are not starving themselves.
  • shiftysheep
    shiftysheep Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

Some like it and seem to find it useful. I lost plenty of weight w/o starving myself. Different strokes for different folks.

The person who posted that put w/o, this mean without. "I lost plenty of weight w/o (without) starving myself. Different strokes for different folks."
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/

This might be worth a read. I don't do IF but I read this on another thread yesterday. It's about how IF may not work as well for women as it does for men, and why that might be the case. Spoiler alert-- hormones.

Again, I'm not able to vouch for the validity of this because I don't do IF, but it seems worth a mention.

I follow a plan like this and have seen great results:
    http://eatstopeatinsider.com/intermittent-fasting-for-women

If I ever feel the need to snack I will snack on some dried berries but most of the time I have no appetite at all.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

The person who posted that put w/o, this mean without. "I lost plenty of weight w/o (without) starving myself. Different strokes for different folks."

The sentence was ambiguous: I thought the poster meant s/he lost weight without starving herself [and without doing IF].

In any event, people who are doing IF are not starving themselves. They are not seeking to eat an extraordinarily low amount of calories. They're merely shifting their eating times.