I suffer from Misophonia, does anyone else?

Options
Erica_Rae
Erica_Rae Posts: 96 Member
Misophonia is the hatred of sound. Not all sounds, but trigger sounds. My trigger sounds are the sounds that people make with either their mouths (eating, chewing gum) or their fingers. (tapping nails, cracking knuckles) It's not just the normal annoyance of someone chomping on potato chips. It sends me into a RAGE! I have to get up from work and leave my desk to go cool down. I start acting like a complete psycho because of these normal sounds. Can anyone help me out to figure out a treatment?? Or anything to help?? It makes me want to just be alone at all times and avoid people completely. Thanks..

Replies

• Felidae106
    Felidae106 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There was a thread about Misophonia on here before so might be worth checking that out as well to see the replies.

I replied to that previous thread as I've had misophonia myself since the age of 9 or 10 and am now 23.
    Similar to yourself I also cannot tolerate sounds associated with eating but I received CBT via the NHS at the beginning of this year which, while definitely not a cure, did help a little.

Generally my coping methods include brown or white noise, soft-silicone earplugs and the use of my mp3 player. I have an app on my phone which can play pink, brown and white noise which is very helpful on my daily commute as unfortunately another big 'trigger' sound for me is the sound of music from mobile phones or headphones (and there is always AT LEAST one person doing so on any given journey!)

I got to a very low point before I decided enough was enough and visited my GP who referred me for an assessment session with an audiologist who performed a hearing test on me (which came out as average) and then referred me for the CBT sessions.

Unfortunately at the moment there is no cure for it and the treatment mostly revolves around coping methods and relaxation through music or meditation. Learning how to relax properly is important as is making sure you have enough sleep, perhaps avoid caffeine as well.

I'd definitely recommend the silicone earplugs though, I find to be about 10000x more effective than foam ones and they have saved my sanity on many an occasion.

Let me know if you have any questions!
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help me out to figure out a treatment??

A doctor maybe.
  • Erica_Rae
    Erica_Rae Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    There was a thread about Misophonia on here before so might be worth checking that out as well to see the replies.

I replied to that previous thread as I've had misophonia myself since the age of 9 or 10 and am now 23.
    Similar to yourself I also cannot tolerate sounds associated with eating but I received CBT via the NHS at the beginning of this year which, while definitely not a cure, did help a little.

Generally my coping methods include brown or white noise, soft-silicone earplugs and the use of my mp3 player. I have an app on my phone which can play pink, brown and white noise which is very helpful on my daily commute as unfortunately another big 'trigger' sound for me is the sound of music from mobile phones or headphones (and there is always AT LEAST one person doing so on any given journey!)

I got to a very low point before I decided enough was enough and visited my GP who referred me for an assessment session with an audiologist who performed a hearing test on me (which came out as average) and then referred me for the CBT sessions.

Unfortunately at the moment there is no cure for it and the treatment mostly revolves around coping methods and relaxation through music or meditation. Learning how to relax properly is important as is making sure you have enough sleep, perhaps avoid caffeine as well.

I'd definitely recommend the silicone earplugs though, I find to be about 10000x more effective than foam ones and they have saved my sanity on many an occasion.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you so much.. I am sending you a friend request!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I hate certain noises as well.... I like using a fan or music to drown it out.
  • Felidae106
    Felidae106 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Thank you so much.. I am sending you a friend request!

Cool, accepted! :)