I DONT GET IT, SOME PEOPLES FOOD INTAKE CONFUSE ME

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sounds like their calorie goals are larger than yours. for instance, not everyone losing weight on this site is only eating 1200 calories. i personally am able to eat up to 2200 calories and still lose fat. that obviously means i have room in my diet for gummi bears if the need arises and i find myself surrounded by an angry mob of haribo gummi bears :laugh:
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It comes down to what a person's end goal is. I personally want to be healthier is I try to limit the 'bad" foods. I can have a higher volume of nutrient dense foods without exceeding my calories. Calorie dense food leave me hungry because I can not eat as much of them. I don't take an all or nothing approach. I thunk that would doom me to failure. But daily I try to take on step at a time towards a healthier lifestyle. I am also trying hard not to be critical if others because they maybe coming from a different starting point or might not have the same end goals as I do. But if asked I'll be more than happy to offer advise
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    sounds like their calorie goals are larger than yours. for instance, not everyone losing weight on this site is only eating 1200 calories. i personally am able to eat up to 2200 calories and still lose fat. that obviously means i have room in my diet for gummi bears if the need arises and i find myself surrounded by an angry mob of haribo gummi bears :laugh:

mental image complete. #ded
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options

mental image complete. #ded

DItto!!! LOL
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You can eat crap and lose weight, that's a fact, if you are eating at deficit.

You can eat "healthy" foods and gain weight, also fact, it you eat surplus.

Just because someone eats junk and loses weight doesn't mean they are healthy or as healthy as they could be... You need to decide what your end goal is and relieve yourself of worrying about others... most of us go through stages- 1st it's about losing a few pounds and then it gradually moves towards a desire to eat better/healthier and then balancing healthy living and healthy eating to sustain a weight or bodyfat % goal.

Nothing is absolute and there will always be someone that can eat whatever and get away with it... I was never that person. ...lol
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    How is it on peoples food diary they have candy bars, pkgd processed foods, all kinds of junk and they make it under or on their calorie goals. I have all kinds of good food with an exception of one can of pop once in awhile and im always way over a target. I dont get it...lol

How? Because lots of healthy things have lots of calories. Things like brown rice, good bread, beans, cheese, whole milk . . .

Good stuff. Lots of calories. That's why whole cuisines are based on them.

When people say 'I can't eat my calories', I'm like, a piece of toast with butter and oj could be 500 calories.' It ain't hard to get calories up with healthy food.

I'm actually surprised how few calories some candy bars are. And how many calories are in anything from Panera. :)
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about other people. Do what works for YOU.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    How is it on peoples food diary they have candy bars, pkgd processed foods, all kinds of junk and they make it under or on their calorie goals. I have all kinds of good food with an exception of one can of pop once in awhile and im always way over a target. I dont get it...lol

I see some diaries here like that. And these people's intakes only end up like 1,200 calories at the end of the day. If you look at their portions, though, it'll be really low. Like a quarter cup of ice cream for dessert. Somehow, they managed to buck up and tame the urge to overeat on processed and fast foods.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of junk *and* good foods and make my calorie goal most every day... I usually budget for at least one or two treats a day, like a "fun size" candy bar or a beer. Portion control plus adding lots of low calorie foods like fruits, veggies, and soups to my meals and snacks help me do it. I also workout enough so I can "afford" these treats, since I'm short and MFP puts me on 1280 net calories a day. Definitely couldn't survive on all junk but I feel like I've found a pretty good balance of healthy low calorie foods plus some "naughty" things thrown in the mix. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    You just stick with the good food you are eating. People who continue to eat garbage, just less garbage, WILL gain any loss back... trust that.
    Good to know the Dairy Queen choco mint brownie Blizzard I shared at lunch today will pack back on 81#. biggrinno.gif

I eat the so-called "junk" food. I budget for it. Dessert after lunch and supper keep me from sticking a knife in peoples' chests.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest not to follow their lead. Losing weight doesn't mean they are healthy, because they are not healthy if all they are eating is junk. Thin people can have heart attacks and cholesterol problems as well, so even though weight loss IS a numbers game with calories, it is better to eat GOOD calories than rubbish ones.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Whats the big deal?
    I eat haagen dazs or ben and jerry's almost every night anymore

A little processed food wont set you back
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

Comparing yourself with others is always a slippery slope. Both with types of foods and amount of calories. Everyone is different, everyone needs to start somewhere, everyone has different RMR, stress, situations, diet backgrounds, etc.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.

All that matters is calories. A healthy balanced diet within a calorie budget for a deficit that is right for YOU is all that matters for weight loss. Don't make it complicated.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I would also like to paoint out that just because people eat junk food does not mean they are unhealthy either.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Thin people can get heart disease, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, etc. One can definitely lose weight eating only high caloriej junk food, but they will still be malnourshed. This leads to illness and a shorter life span.

Keep doing what you're doing. You will be better off in the long run. You may need to adjust your macros a bit so you don't feel so hungry. I felt better after increasing fiber to 35-50 grams a day and set my protein and fat to 30%. Everyone is diffent, so keep tweaking your plan until you find what works for you.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You just stick with the good food you are eating. People who continue to eat garbage, just less garbage, WILL gain any loss back... trust that.

No they wont. If they stay within a balance or deficit of caloric intake they will not gain the weight back. They may not achieve the body composition they want or health they want, but they can manage their weight with only twinkies if they wanted to.

I think the point is that if you don't change your eating habits, when you DO reach your goal, it's going to be much more likely you will put the weight back on. Just eating less junk will result in weight loss, sure, but, at some point your going to want to go off a calorie deficit - if you do so and still are used to eating junk, at some point the odds are you're going to end up gaining it back, because you haven't really learned to make healthier food choices. Unless of course you plan on counting calories every day for the rest of your life, AND not worrying about nutrition. I eat junk too, today and yesterday are perfect examples - however - these days are exceptions, not the rule for me, and currently I'm dealing with a great deal of stress. My challenge is overcoming the stress eating - as I KNOW if I don't I'll have that issue to deal with. Having healthier food habits is more likely to lead to long term success just by the shear fact that you aren't likely to sit and eat 5 apples for a snack, but, you could easily eat 2 candy bars for the same amount of calories - hence less than half the calories consumed for the healthier, more nutritious, option.

Speaking from experience - I've done it both ways. More likely to succeed long term with healthier choices, just by sheer fact that most people aren't going to live on 2 twinkies and 5 pieces of pizza a day for the rest of their life if they're junk food junkies. They need to learn to make healthier food choices for all around health - not just the number on the scale.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    Though this is a "diet" site, it really is about a lifestyle. People can diet all they want, but many people on here try to find a lifestyle that works for them...and sometimes that means some junk food. Part of tracking is figuring out what you eat, then trying to stay with in calorie goals, and then making choices of how to stay in that goal. Sometimes, I am willing to "spend" my calories on a glass of wine instead of something healthier, but that is the lifestyle choice I'm making knowing that 95% of my other choices are healthy. You keep eating the healthy foods, and if you splurge sometimes, it's all good.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Portion control. Or their target is higher than yours.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    No reason to be jealous of those who fill their bodies with garbage....you are what you eat
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I still think people may underestimate their portion sizes. I'm always over, but I figure in the long run its better to know and be over then live in oblivion.