suggestions for someone who can ONLY walk to exercise

Options
GenBB
GenBB Posts: 23 Member
I just found out that i have an degenerative disc in my neck so my dr says i can only walk to exercise. I can't do any sort of weight/strength training - no jumping jacks, no ab exercises, nothing but walking. Has anyone been successful at just eating right and just walking? If so, is there anything you did to spruce up the walking? i've been pushing my 2 two yr olds in one of those convertible bike trailers (converts to a neat jogger). I'm worried that i'm not going to lose a lot of weight by just walking :( And i have a lot of weight to lose! My first goal is 30lbs then prob another 30 after that. Any suggestions would be great !!

Replies

• FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not essential for losing weight, but it's good for you in many other ways. I wouldn't worry about specific walking programs, just walk whenever you can.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Hills!! If you can get on a treadmill and increase the incline, you'll be AMAZED at what you burn. Promise. And if you're afraid of heights (like me) pick a treadmill with a tv and don't. look. down. :happy:

Have fun! There's PLENTY you can do while walking!!
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    oh yes you can!!!!! Remember some movment is better than none!!!! Also you can try straping wts to your ankle (like 2 lbs) to get a little bit of resistance and walking up hill. My mom has this problem and girl I know you hurt so dont do anything that feels painful. You being able to play with them babies is much more important than loosing wt fast.

Good Luck
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    a good brisk walk at a pace of 4mph can really burn calories. I have two ruptured discs in my back and walking is how I get my cardio in. You have to walk longer than those runners :wink: But it totally can be done! Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • tzvishear
    tzvishear Posts: 31
    Options
    i agree. using the treadmill and using a portable dvd player you can walk longer than you think.
  • SylvieJacques
    SylvieJacques Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Don't underestimate walk as an exercise. This may not be as hard as the other one, but it has a lot of benefit and still very nice on your joints. Try to walk whenever you can and be careful with what you eat and you should be in business.
  • mkoff32
    mkoff32 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just found out that i have an degenerative disc in my neck so my dr says i can only walk to exercise. I can't do any sort of weight/strength training - no jumping jacks, no ab exercises, nothing but walking. Has anyone been successful at just eating right and just walking? If so, is there anything you did to spruce up the walking? i've been pushing my 2 two yr olds in one of those convertible bike trailers (converts to a neat jogger). I'm worried that i'm not going to lose a lot of weight by just walking :( And i have a lot of weight to lose! My first goal is 30lbs then prob another 30 after that. Any suggestions would be great !!

I've got creeky knees, so even a jog aggravates them. I have had tremendous success walking on an incline. I hit the treadmill for a half hour at 3.5. I start with an incline of 2 and up it by 1 every 5 minutes. I end up at 7 by the end. This really tired me out at first, but now it's a piece of cake so I think I'm going to up the incline. I've lost a heck of a lot of weight!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,733 Member
    Options
    What about a stationary bike? I had two herniated discs in my neck (had them removed and the vertebrae fused in 2001), and I couldn't lift either, but I rode my bike like a mad woman!
  • WDWathen
    WDWathen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pool, use it. My kids love the water. Just walking in the water will wear you out. I have seen peolpe put on float belts and "run" in the deep end of the pool. The only reason I still have a YMCA membership is for the pool.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I live with chronic pain... when I first signed up here there was no exercise in my close future - I'd dropped taking my meds (due to cost) for my fibromyalgia and live with arthritis... since losing some weight I've been able to add some (just recent, too) but walking is one of the best exercises you can do - working all your muscles and increases circulation - that and swimming (what does your doctor think of swimming? Or water exercise?).

You can lose the weight - YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! :drinker:

Good Luck on your journey,
    Betty
  • wonderwoman22886
    Options
    Has anyone been successful at just eating right and just walking? If so, is there anything you did to spruce up the walking?

My personal trainer at the gym went from 310 lbs to 230 lbs just walking, because she had rheumatoid (sp?) arthritis. Once she got down to 230 was when she got involved in physical strength training etc, but it wasn't because she plateaued or anything, she was still loosing by just walking. Moral of the story: It's totally possible! :bigsmile:
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Like most other post said, inclines would help a lot. I like to use music too because I get so lost in it. I'm usually out there so much longer than I had ever planned to be.

Also, I've heard that there are several walking indoor dvd's. It might not be such a bad idea to pick one up at walmart incase the weather is bad one day.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    5 pound weights on each ankle, 2.5 pounds on each wrist. Good luck!
  • nirvanadaze
    Options
    In addition to walking you could get a weighted vest which is exactly what it sounds like - a vest with weights in it - hockey players often use this on ice while training. So you'll be walking with more weight on you, thus exerting more effort, ultimately burning more calories. There's usually a waist strap to take pressure off your shoulders and spine :)
  • Rebecca__Lynn
    Options
    I totally and completely walk at this point..I have a treadmill... It works just fine...exercise is exercise..it all burns if you are doing "something"....watch your calories carefully, get a good healthy well balanced diet...lots of water and you'll lose just fine.

I've been online for 46 days or so...consistently lose...and have lost 12 lbs to date.

You go girl...you will do just fine.
  • tinap1
    tinap1 Posts: 27
    Options
    All I have been doing since i've started changing my eating habits is the treadmill. Its only been a week so I hope that it helps.
  • selooney
    selooney Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Walking is great, a lot of people suggest that it can be better than running. And something is always better than nothing. Keep it up!
  • GenBB
    GenBB Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts !!!! You all gave me a lot of great ideas and i will def ask the doctor about water exercise. I appreciate all the inspiration and motivation. I def feel a lot better - thanks !!!