Can't seem to get motivated to do exercise!!

Options
2»

Replies

• jackies_42
    jackies_42 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Keep your exercise to a manageable level. Walk for 1/2 hour every evening and enter it into your journal. You'll be surprised how those extra calories will motivate you to do more. Join a gym or fitness class with a friend. Zumba is great fun and the calories you burn are a bonus.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Exercise has made a HUGE difference in my weight loss. I am down 2 whole sizes with only having lost 34lbs. I am VERY tall, so this is a miracle and I think only because of how hard I've been working out.

It's great for your body, you'll lose more weight, you'll feel better, you'll build lean muscle, it will help your metabolism, you'll look better and your clothes will fit better. Why would you NOT want to do this???
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Try M&M's....

Music & Mirrors! Seriously...listenings to music really really REALLY pumps me up and helps me to get off my tush and move it and groove it like nothing else. Well, almost nothing else, what else motivates me something fierce is standing in front of a mirror NUDE or close to it. Look closely at your head size, face/chin(s) and body---Seeing my gut and butt, my head/face/neck/arms body in general is a HUGE motivator to exercise.

Remember...M&Ms work like nothing else, I'm a living witness. MUSIC & MIRRORS--nothing motives more!

:wink: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

If you don't have a treadmill, stationary bike or stuff like that at home or Leslie Sansone or other workout videos. Well, that's okay too.

even if it's marching in place for a few minutes, doing some stretching, some head, shoulders, knees, ankles, toes bends up and downs for some minutes--just moving your body as much as you can with some music on. DANCING, walking outside--things like that. Once you start moving (especially to music), you'll find your body calling you to move--I find that. Stop calling it exercise and start calling it FAT CRYING SESSIONS (looking at it as sweat is FAT crying) --that helps me too :wink:

Is exercising hard for me? Hades yes--it's hard, but I feel like a first class shero and fat crying/sweaty champion afterwards--you will too, I promise!
  • MichaelYoung1976
    Options
    Two of my favorite quotes: "You don't have to go fast, just go" and "No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch."

It doesn't matter what you do, just do something.
  • Just_do_it_xo
    Just_do_it_xo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Dont force yourself to go to the gym or work out! better yet dont think of working out or exercise, but instead ask yourself why your doing this in the first place! Start with something small like a walk in the park then build on. try not to think of it as "uhhh I have to work out today! :grumble: (because I have these days too lol):laugh: What I do is ask myself, "Do I want be the old me again? Am I willing to go back to my old lazy couch potato-eating bags of chips and twinkies-SELF or do I want to be a hard lean machine!!!!" and that usually helps lol.
  • RainxPain
    Options
    I couldn't seem to get motivated either... (granted, I only walk/fast walk for exercise) so I found an app called Striiv and it's helped me count my steps, calories, and minutes of activity. It's a really fun app, give it a try if you have an Apple phone (Don't know if you get it on Android)
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options

I've gotten a lot of inspiration from pinterest. Including recipes and exercise routines! I love it!
  • emwaitexo
    Options
    Try dancing! It may not seem like exercise, but you can burn soo many calories just by dancing to upbeat music. Remember to drink lots of water though!
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i heard this a long time ago. motivation follows the action. the idea being that you'll be more motivated to do something (again) after having done it.

don't pysche yourself out. don't think oh i don't wanna. just put your shoes on and start. that's it. don't over think it. just do it. i promise you'll be happier afterward.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    This may seem a little crazy, but I sleep in my sweatpants, a long sleeve t-shirt and a sports bra so when I wake up all I have to do is put my jacket on and go out for my walk. Otherwise, I'll laze around on my couch all morning considering putting on my workout clothes and going.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    This may seem a little crazy, but I sleep in my sweatpants, a long sleeve t-shirt and a sports bra so when I wake up all I have to do is put my jacket on and go out for my walk. Otherwise, I'll laze around on my couch all morning considering putting on my workout clothes and going.

I love this!

I agree with the folks who suggested that you start with something small and build on it later. Also experimenting with different types of exercising to find what you like. I get bored easy so I still do just a lot of different things. I run, bike, do various classes at my Y depending on my schedule and what looks fun that day, lift weights, occasionally swim, hike, whatever. It stays fun because I'm not doing the same thing over-and-over. My husband stays fit by playing doing karate and playing sports, like basketball. Experiment and find what suits you.
  • whitelaurel
    whitelaurel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    1. Do something you enjoy to "move your body." :) Not "exercise." For me, I like walking (and dancing, but that's a little bit more pricey to practice outside my cramped bedroom, haha). So when I was stubbornly opposed to "exercising" for like 3 months, I just went out for long walks. Fun. (And then eventually I upgraded to jogging when it magically, suddenly just didn't seem as bad.)

2. Just drag yourself kicking and screaming to the gym. You won't regret it. It only took two days of forcing myself to go to the gym before I was looking forward to the challenge and reward. :)

3. Look at fitspiration photos. (Haha, pictures of extremely athletic people doing athletic things!) And imagine how your body could transform if you committed. What kind of muscles do you wish you had? Imagine yourself with them (I imagine myself with killer abs and a bellybutton ring <3) and then go and get them!

4. Find a bragging outlet. :) Like here.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    do like i did, tell yourself...

1) you want to exercise? Great go exercise
    2) You don't want to exercise, again great then dont
    3) If you choose option 2 start a savings account, you'll need it to pay for all the heart disease medication when youre older
    4) Again if you choose option 2 start planning ways to rearrange in your clothes that saggy untoned skin you'll be left with
    5) If you choose option 1, start saving and planning a shopping spree for all the goal weight clothes you're going to look amazing in

I chose option 1
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    do like i did, tell yourself...

1) you want to exercise? Great go exercise
    2) You don't want to exercise, again great then dont
    3) If you choose option 2 start a savings account, you'll need it to pay for all the heart disease medication when youre older
    4) Again if you choose option 2 start planning ways to rearrange in your clothes that saggy untoned skin you'll be left with
    5) If you choose option 1, start saving and planning a shopping spree for all the goal weight clothes you're going to look amazing in

I chose option 1

:drinker: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart: :drinker:
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You know how you brush your teeth every day, perhaps shower every day? You don't need motivation for that. These are just part of your daily routine. Exercise has to become part of your day too.

You have to just do it, whether you're motivated or not. Just do 10 min., and you'll be surprised how much you can build on that. Before you know it, you'll be working out long enough and often enough that it will feel weird on a day that you cannot fit in a workout.