First day Blues

Options
This is only the first day of my new lifestyle and I'm already 313 calories in excess!!!
I get the feeling this is going to be really tough!

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    It will get better...the first few days are an "eye opener"
  • LMac66
    LMac66 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm only on my second day, but I can understand your pain. I suppose we'll both look back at how hard we worked with pride when we are back in our appropriate size clothes!! Hang in there!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Cheer up! :smile: You'll be okay. It takes a little while to learn and understand portion control and calorie counts. Not to mention it takes your body a little while to learn to accept different calorie choices and portions. Add a bit of exercise and I'm sure you'll be good!
  • iamalexa
    iamalexa Posts: 53
    Options
    Whatever you do just don't give up! This website will help you tons and you will do great! One day wont kill you!! :)
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Options
    If it helps you...I treat the food diary like a game. I like to enter the meal I'm contemplating BEFORE I eat it. Then, if the calorie count is too high I play around and tinker with the meal until I get it where it should be. Your other option is to ramp up your exercise and earn extra calories. Either way, don't get down on yourself about it. It's just a meal. The great part is that you can always eat better the next time. There is absolutely no sense in feeling upset or guilty about past meals eaten. :)
  • ♥dawnwestbury♥
    Options
    I am starting my 2nd week and I understand how you feel! The first few days were bad...I didnt go over really but had BAD headaches!! I did however eat a couple days LATE...not BAD food but just late at night..still have cals left over but I dont think its good to eat late like that.

Keep going though and it will get better! Just look at labels, you will be shocked sometimes and just go for foods that are less for more. ie. baked tostitos are better for me because I can eat more than the multigrain ones...thats a bonus for me!! And when I needs twinkies etc, I have the 100 cal packs!!

Hope that helps little!
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It's a learning curve, you'll get it!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It'll take a while to get into the swing of things. Don't get yourself discouraged.
  • Sweatin
    Sweatin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! It isnt easy, but the more you log your foods, and keep track of your calories the easier it gets and then turns into a routine. Lately I log all of my meals first, look at it, add my work out, and re-evaluate my food intake. This gives me the room to change my food intake for calories if I need to. It also gives me an idea of what my snacks should contain. This also makes you more aware of what your eating and has lead me to making healthier food chooses. Hang in there, dont give up, and always love yourself for you.
  • sangrea
    sangrea Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It may also help if you think your hungry to drink a glass of water first and in 15 min. if you still hungry than look for something to eat I think I'm really thirsty a lot of times and i think i'm hungry, and if I am humgry I have a glass of water taking up room in my stomach so less room to over eat. Good luck I know its hard I'm still having a hard time keeping track of everything
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    IT is a learning process, which is why MFP helps you realize just how many calories you have been putting in your mouth and then enables you to make better choices. All of us have gained the weight slowly over time by overfeeding ourselves. I found it helpful when I started out to plan my meals out in advance and enter them so that I could be sure I was staying close to my calorie goal. Then as you are learning how many calories different foods have you can be more relaxed and just enter as you go along. Just a suggestion as a way to stay on track. DON'T GIVE UP!!!! IT is a day to day lifestyle change.